CS awesome Posts filled with crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS awesome Posts filled with crap

There are several people that post some great posts, well written, funny, entertaining. But Why for the love of god do people feel the need to reply and fill it with crap at times not even related to the post! make your own "v" "w" post for goodness sakes!

Because people are stupid, of course.

I'd suggest just putting the worst offenders on ignore and just not paying attention to the rest. There are a lot of people who I see their names and just move on to the next post.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I am bad at thread derailment. It's not intentional, and when I realize that a comment I made has started to derail a thread, I try to get it back on topic (sometimes works, sometimes not). When people see a post, and the little lightbulb goes on and they think "Hey this reminds me of this." Most often they are not seeking to derail it, it just..happens.

Comment

Could you give us an example of a derailed thread? I mean, I know it happens, but I haven't noticed it happening extremely frequently.

Threads that go beyond a certain length just have a tendency to get a little off topic. That's true for virtually every forum, and usually you can't blame any one poster for it; it's just a gradual drift. Someone might post a slight aside that is still relevant to the OP, and then someone responds to the aside, and then it starts to take its slow journey into OT land.

Comment

Also, if there was a lot to say about the original topic, everybody has just as much power to pull it back as they have to pull it away; if it's going off-topic, then perhaps there just isn't that much to be said about it that wasn't already said.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

That's true; often what happens is the original topic is dying anyway, and if it weren't for the "derailment" there'd be no thread at all, which gives people the false impression that the derailment killed the original conversation.

But what are "v' 'w' posts"?
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't mind the thread derailment so much as I mind the few who come along and *only* add corny jokes to a thread, but nothing else. Ever.

There's a few of those over there. So annoying.

I love the occasional corny joke as much as the next person, but when you have nothing else to add BESIDES corny jokes, I feel like that person.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                Could you give us an example of a derailed thread? I mean, I know it happens, but I haven't noticed it happening extremely frequently.

Threads that go beyond a certain length just have a tendency to get a little off topic. That's true for virtually every forum, and usually you can't blame any one poster for it; it's just a gradual drift. Someone might post a slight aside that is still relevant to the OP, and then someone responds to the aside, and then it starts to take its slow journey into OT land.
                The latest example was this one "Was it worth it to ya? (aka Fire the Nuclear Wessels)" where it went down to a crappalotious "v" "w" pronunciation intellect challenged derailment. 7 pages long now, and only 2 real pages of anything interesting/relevant . I see it grow and expect another development. but No, crap crap crap.

It seems like its mostly the same attention whoring individuals doing it.. so will place those on ignore post haste as someone suggested.

Comment

I find that whenever I post about an SC doing a driveout, that the thread always focuses on pay at the pump vs pay at the kiosk, and not on the other, just as annoying SCs. Even tho I've said many a time that there's never going to be pay at the pump where I work cuz shop profits would go down. That's happened at other petrol stations where they've changed to pay at the pump; the shop profits have halved.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    I find that whenever I post about an SC doing a driveout, that the thread always focuses on pay at the pump vs pay at the kiosk, and not on the other, just as annoying SCs. Even tho I've said many a time that there's never going to be pay at the pump where I work cuz shop profits would go down. That's happened at other petrol stations where they've changed to pay at the pump; the shop profits have halved.
                    And the thing that pisses me off about that is that we (mods) have stated at least 15,000 times to focus on the SC and not the pay-at-pump bullshit.

Comment

Any chance of hearing what "'v' 'w'" means?
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The thread in question has a title playing off of Chekov from Star Trek saying "nuclear wessels" instead of "vessels" because of his Russian accent. A lot of the thread has been plays on words about it.

Comment

This is a pet hatred of mine too. There have been too many times when I stumbled across an interesting thread (via google search) only to have it derailed by pointless l33t sp33k or nitpicking. It's not always one person either. Someone will come in and argue about the misuse of a word or some bullshit (even just saying the thread sucks) and people will argue back, effectively feeding the troll and ruining the thread. All because they had to argue some nitpicky literalist douchebag who couldn't read between the lines (or was looking to piss people off).

It shouldn't brother me so much, but it does.

Comment

It's not exclusive to CS, of course. Heaven help you if you misspell a word on reddit.

Comment

As annoying as it is, people going off-topic doesn't actually kill a thread; lack of continued interest in the thread is what kills it. After all, if you have something to say, does an off-topic post prevent you from saying it?

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                              X