Machine Lock-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Lock-Up

So, my computer started doing something about the time I got my new video card and it's really irritating.

It locks up, with the screen getting a magenta tint to it that requires that I either restart it or let it cycle through itself.

I thought it was heat, at first, but I can be playing anything I like for days without a problem.

So I paid attention.

Turns out, whatever is causing it doesn't like vBulletin.

That's right. Fratching (and CS) makes my computer lock up.

But not just reading, oh no. It's only when I'm typing that it chooses to do this. >_<

If you can't guess, I just finished a post after waiting for my computer to restart. Again.

It's getting beyond stale.

Thankfully, Firefox is a gem and I almost never lose whatever I was typing... just a sentence or two, usually.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

That's downright bizarre!

(But a good reason to resort to the at-least-better-than-restarting-all-the-time method of typing elsewhere and then pasting it in... if even that works)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Nope. I've had it lock up within seconds of opening a reply window.

And other days I've gone literally days with tons of replies where it didn't even twitch.

I have no idea why it does what it does. Thankfully, it's just a minor irritant, but one of the most irritating things in my life just this moment.

I love being in a position to have first world problems. Still hate the problems, tho.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

had a computer with xp that would freeze on windows is shutting down if I had used flash at any point.

Comment

That is rather bizarre, though vid card not playing nice with something else is likely the culprit seeing as its affecting your video signal. I've never heard of a problem like this one however.

What vid card are we talking?

Comment

Not sure what it might be not playing nice with.

The only time it locks up is when I've got a reply window for CS or Fratching open. (those are the only vBulletin sites I currently visit)

The card is a mid-range Nvidia GeForce something. I can't remember my Newegg password, so can't look it up while at work.

It doesn't have a problem with anything else I run.

Other forums: no problem.
            Flash games: no problem.
            Steam anything: no problem.
            Diablo III with mid-range settings: no problem

I have left things open in Firefox for weeks without it crashing. Just as long as there's no vBulletin reply window open.

^-.-^

Comment

How about the Quick Reply box?
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Odd. Hadn't thought about it.

I can't recall it going magenta on me while reading - only while doing a full reply.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  I have left things open in Firefox for weeks without it crashing. Just as long as there's no vBulletin reply window open.
                  That is seriously odd to be bluntly honest. Normally, I'd say it was just a script dicking up somewhere. But your vid signal messing up is a rather bizarre symptom that is rather.....illogical. >.>

Comment

Yes. It is odd. No argument, there.

But I think I know why it goes that particular color; it's the color I have set for when I highlight objects on my system.

^-.-^

Comment

My computer goes a little orangish every time it comes back from sleep, logs on as me again, or turns on.

But I go to calibrate the screen... Thing... And then I calibrate it, and it works until ti's turned off, logged out, or user switched.

...I have no idea why this is.
                      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Well, it's locked up twice more since last I posted. Not sure, but I suspect that in addition to not liking the vBulletin quote-reply function, it seems to have issues with Pogo, too.

^-.-^

Comment

Andycorn, you need to be more on Skype, and less not on Skype.

Also, hmm... That really sounds un-good. Aren't you part of some tech forum? They might help?
                          "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
                          ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Ok, I'm a bit recalcitrant. I should have updated this a couple of weeks ago.

So, anyway, I decided to check to see if there was a new driver, despite the fact that the driver I was using was only a couple of weeks old when I installed the card.

It turns out that there had been another driver released the day after I had installed the current one.

So, I'd been putting up with this issue for nearly three months when I could have corrected it the very next day. >_<

The new driver corrects the problem introduced by the previous driver update and I have had no issue with that since.

^-.-^

Comment

All's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
                              X