Xbox RROD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox RROD

Well, not technically an RROD. It's a 2-Red-Rings, not 3. Which means that my system is "overheating."

And it currently has a Netflix disc in it, which I can't retrieve.

And we were going to be taking the 360 to a convention this weekend.

And all of our money is sunk in Kickstarters and renting a pinball table for the convention, so I can't afford to send it back to Microsoft.

This sucks.

Netflix disk retrieved.

My penchant for leaving decorations up year round left us with ornament hooks that would fit in the hole.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm sorry your game isn't working. Did anyone ever figure out why those systems do that so often?
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        I'm sorry your game isn't working. Did anyone ever figure out why those systems do that so often?
        For the RROD issue, most of it was a combination of poor soldering on a key component and bad airflow. All of that has been resolved, and "modern" 360s don't have these problems - that is, beyond "acceptable levels." Xboxes do still fail; they're not bullet-proof. And it seems that the RROD problem is still the #2 cause of failure, right after DVD drive failure.

Comment

DragonCon? Jealous. Sympathies for the XBox though, that sucks.

Comment

PS3. HDD failure. There goes nearly 200 hours sunk into Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

Sony wants 250$ to fix it. Cheaper to buy a new system.

Comment

The first XBOX360 I had gave me the RROD about 4 years ago, but it was refurbished so they wouldn't cover it under warranty. I found a web site that showed how to replace the washers and pegs to correct it all, and more importantly how to find them at the hardware store.

I replaced all the parts, but it still didn't fix it, so I had to perform the towel trick to make it work. Haven't had a problem with it since.

My second XBOX360 (I won it in a contest) got the RROD about a year and a half ago, but it was covered under warranty, so i sent it off to MicroSoft and they fixed it. haven't had an issue with it since either.

Well.... I have noticed one issue lately. If I've been playing a game all day (I tend to do that when I'm sick) the 3D rendering starts to flake out after many, many hours of playing. I'm assuming it's starting to overheat. A quick power cycle usually fixes it, but I've been considering buying one of those external fans for it
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by Salted Grump View Post
                PS3. HDD failure. There goes nearly 200 hours sunk into Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

It's possible that fix also includes data recovery, which might be worth it if you had a lot of programs installed with saved content.

If not, then yeah, it's totally better to just buy a new system.

Comment

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-3...-a-disc-906935

Here's how to manually eject a stuck disc in 360 systems....good grief, it's a little complex if you don't have a slim.

Comment

It's actually not all that hard; after you discover which drive you have.

And, it won't work if your tool is too thick. (all right, minds out of the gutter... you're blocking my light)

We started off trying it with a Dremel drill bit, which is pretty small. But that wasn't working at all, and the ornament hook was actually even thinner than they suggested, but worked great. You don't need a large paperclip; a small one will do just as well and possibly better, so long as you don't torque it and make it bend inside the unit.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                      DragonCon? Jealous. Sympathies for the XBox though, that sucks.
                      Gateway, in Los Angeles. You should still be jealous, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Salted Grump View Post

If it's just an HDD failure it's even cheaper to get a laptop HDD and replace it.

Comment

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to get a package deal for 340$ after tax so I get a second controller and uncharted 3 as well. final expense is cheaper than a 160 GB system, and sony doesn't do data recovery, so I'm not going to let them vampire on me for a piddly 160 GB system.

Comment

Working...
                          X