Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idiots on Facebook who create "memes"....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiots on Facebook who create "memes"....

Yeah, this is starting to bug me now. Because it crops up in my news feed a LOT.

For those who don't know what I mean, I am referring to people who take commonly used memes ALREADY OUT THERE (for instance, the "one does not simply walk into Mordor" picture, other examples include the still of Fry out there) and simply slap a caption on it that's relevant to a particular person.

They are NOT FUNNY.

Also, they are not memes. they are not original.

So BUGGER OFF ALREADY!

Sometimes I find them funny still. I guess I'm not jaded just yet.

I perfectly understand though, sometimes the same old shit comes up and up over and over again... Luckily I have a nice circle of friends who post only the freshest memes, and anything old gets nagged/hidden/uncommented incessantly.

That said it's half the reason I haven't been on I Can Has Cheezburger for months, the other reson being that site is just so bloated it locks up my computer.

Comment

I haven't been on any of the ICHC sites in months, thanks to reddit.

Comment

I tend to maintain a small friend list on FB, and thus I'm not overwhelmed by the silly images and commentary. I find a lot of them quite funny. That is until my sis posted like 30 of the damn things in one hour. NOT funny.

Comment

You know... most people on Facebook are neither tech-savvy, nor do they tend to be involved in much online other than Facebook.

It's a bit amusing and a bit facepalmy to see people acting all superior over such types.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
            You know... most people on Facebook are neither tech-savvy, nor do they tend to be involved in much online other than Facebook.

It's a bit amusing and a bit facepalmy to see people acting all superior over such types.

^-.-^
            Gee...My Mom holds a 4.2GPA, is going for her 5th degree this next one in computer sciences, and is going to turn 71 in April. She also uses FB to keep in touch with friends from Burning Man. Several of them who are VERY tech-savvy. Just because the people you know are very un tech-savvy and only use FB doesn't mean that holds true for MOST people.

Comment

That's nice. And irrelevant. Obviously not everybody on Facebook is lacking in tech savvy - otherwise this thread wouldn't even exist.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                That's nice. And irrelevant. Obviously not everybody on Facebook is lacking in tech savvy - otherwise this thread wouldn't even exist.

^-.-^
                I just wanted to point out that your being very insulting but it seems you didn't grasp that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                  I just wanted to point out that your being very insulting but it seems you didn't grasp that point.

Not really seeing the insult.

Andara should probably have said "many people" rather than "most" people, as your example of your own mother's tech savviness while being a Facebook member illustrates.

Her point is that this thread was complaining about lack of originality with silly Facebook memes, and she was putting it down to a lack of tech savviness rather than a lack of intelligence or originality.
                  Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Given there's something like 900,000,000 people on facebook, there's going to be a metric fuckton of people who barely know how to turn a computer on using it.
                    I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                    Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

I think you really need to reread her post. If she'd said something like, "Nobody intelligent or tech-savvy uses Facebook," you'd have a point. But that isn't what she said. She said that most FB users aren't very tech-savvy. That's true. Most computer owners aren't very tech-savvy, so unless a site has something about it that would expressly appeal and attract tech-savvy individuals, the majority of the viewers of that site will likewise have a lack of tech aptitude.

The same thing was said about AOL during the early days of the internet - AOL was the internet with training wheels, and there weren't very many computer-literate people who used it. Which, in aggregate, was true. But there were certainly computer-literate people who used AOL, such as my father - he was an IT manager at Nissan (yes, that Nissan) for decades, but he used AOL because it made communicating with some family members easier.

Comment

How does my pointing out that >50% of users on Facebook are not tech-savvy insulting to any of the <50% who are?

Hell, if you actually follow your logic for me being insulting, why even mention your mother? If I was being insulting to your mother, then I've also insulted pretty much everybody in this thread, including myself.

Can you not see how silly that train of thought gets once you start it rolling?

^-.-^

Comment

I'm a tech-savvy user of Facebook and I don't find myself offended by her comment. Hell as a tech-savvy user of...well...anything for that matter I'm *painfully* aware that the technologically inept exist. I run into them at my job all the time and am baffled to fucking hell that college educated people can still be that dim regarding computers and technology.

Knowing that the technologically inept should no more offend the tech-savvy any more than sucky customers, entitlement whores, and cat-butt wielding grumpy people should offend the Customers Suck forum members that aren't sucky, entitled or cat-butt wielders.
                          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I'm not really overly bothered by the pictures; it's the stupid chain statuses (statii?) that annoy me. Especially the self congratulatory ones, like the ones that pop up on STFU Parents for us to mock.
                            "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                            X