The media going too far for a story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The media going too far for a story

I am really angry right now about what I see as a huge violation of privacy for Will and Kate.

I'm glad they are suing, and I hope they win.

I posted this on my facebook:

Originally posted by Ree
    So, a husband and wife, with every expectation of privacy, are sharing an intimate moment in their own personal space, and some sleazy, pervert of a photographer feels it's acceptable to take their picture and sell them to a magazine, who then feels it's acceptable to publish them, just because the couple happens to be royalty??? That is absolutely disgusting.
    Leave them the hell alone. The media is going to do the same thing to this marriage as they did to Charles and Diana.

If that was an average Joe doing the same thing with his wife, and someone started snapping pictures of the naked wife, he would be arrested.
    The press hounded Diana right to her death.
    They were a huge part of the problems that plagued Charles and Diana and caused the rift in the marriage to begin with.

It's not just the royal family either.

I think a large part of the failure in many a celebrity marriage is caused by the constant hounding of the press, speculating and just looking for any sign that the marriage is in trouble and then magnifying it to sell papers and magazines.

They stalk and slink around with their cameras ready, just waiting to capture that one expression that can be construed as trouble in paradise.

It really sickens me.

I never bought into the "Will and Kate" hype, but this latest incident just made me mad because it is a prime example of the press going way too far.
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

I hate the paparazzi. They serve no purpose in society, nor do they make the world a better or more enjoyable place. If only people were allowed to stop them by any means necessary...
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I just can't understand why there is a distinction between what they do and what some sleazy stalker does.

Why would I be arrested and prosecuted for snapping those kinds of pictures of a total stranger, yet "paparazzi" get away with it?
      Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

If the public at large didn't buy the papers with the pictures in, they'd be off doing other things that are less objectionable. Can't see it happening, sadly.

Rapscallion
        Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
        Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

And that saddens me, too.

It sickens me that there is actually an audience for it, or they wouldn't have a job.

Still, these pictures really crossed the line in my opinion.
          Point to Ponder:

Comment

Wasn't there a movie a while back that was exactly this, about a couple of assholes with cameras stalking an actor and his family?
            "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

If this photographer had taken pictures of a "commoner" nude and sold it to a magazine, they'd have been arrested and charged with voyerism. Why should this be any different?

Comment

Indeed.

I was just reading about this yesterday, and I hope the photographer and the paper that published the images both get sued into oblivion.

Especially considering that France is particularly vigorous in protecting people's privacy, so that they feel comfortable coming and returning.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  I hate the paparazzi. They serve no purpose in society, nor do they make the world a better or more enjoyable place. If only people were allowed to stop them by any means necessary...
                  Daniel Radcliffe had a pretty boring, yet extremely effective way of dealing with them.

Whenever he left the theatre he was playing at, he'd always dress in exactly the same coat and jeans. Day 1 and the photos were a hit. Day 2 onwards they were absolutely worthless. No one wanted to buy photos that could have been from the same original set.

Pissed a lot of paps off. How dare he dress the same and prevent them from making a buck?

Comment

It amazes me there aren't more laws specifically against these rectal parasites yet. Especially in the wake of Diana.

Even if you don't do it for morale reasons. Do you know how much money you could make as a celebrity tourist destination if you could bill your city/country a paparazzi free zone? -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                      Especially in the wake of Diana.
                      To be fair, that was the Illuminati and Prince Phillip.

Rapscallion
                      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post

Especially considering that France is particularly vigorous in protecting people's privacy, so that they feel comfortable coming and returning.

^-.-^
                        Apparently, that only counts towards French people. To my mind, this is a sick invasion of a couple's privacy, and that goes whether it's royalty or Mr and Mrs Public. I hope the people responsible get the book thrown at them.

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                        They were a huge part of the problems that plagued Charles and Diana and caused the rift in the marriage to begin with.
                        I wouldn't agree with that; the main problem with the marriage was the fact that Charles didn't love Diana. A famous quote by Charles after being asked after his wedding if he was in love with his wife: "Whatever 'in love' means."

Diana was chosen by the Queen to be Charles' wife for being well bred, intelligent and not having any scandal associated with her name. Diana loved Charles but he was already in love with Camilla Parker Bowles who was already married. He continued with his relationship with Camilla even when he married Diana. It destroyed their marriage. Diana was ill prepared to be his wife and was genuinely unhappy in the relationship because Charles failed to return the love that she felt for him.

I won't deny that the media intrusion was extremely upsetting to Diana and was a direct cause of her death, tho.
                        "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                          It sickens me that there is actually an audience for it, or they wouldn't have a job.
                          That's exactly why they do it. There's a huge market for that sort of thing. I don't know about Canada, but when the royal wedding went on...we had constant coverage of it down here. Photos and video were everywhere. They're the hot item right now, and the paparazzi will do anything to make a quick buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                            Especially in the wake of Diana.
                            Originally posted by Rapscallion View Post
                            To be fair, that was the Illuminati and Prince Phillip.
                            Why are you trying to fob this one off on the Illuminati (who, unlikely as it sounds, were NOT involved in THIS incident)? Is it to divert blame from the Masons?

Comment

I'm not trying to do that. Read the Daily Express (so called because it's written in a hurry) and their advisor Mohammed Fayed.

Rapscallion
                              Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X