X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding planning.

I hate it.

That is all.

I was actually thinking of writing a thread like this here myself.

I've found a new appreciation for how much money it takes to feed the world. Even about 90 people for one night is a very lofty feat!

Comment

On the bright side... if you're planning a wedding, it probably means you think you have someone worth the trouble, so to speak. And you don't technically have to have the dinner at all.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
        On the bright side... if you're planning a wedding, it probably means you think you have someone worth the trouble, so to speak. And you don't technically have to have the dinner at all.
        Yeah, tell that to her family. We've thought about eloping or having a very small wedding with only our closest friends and family joining, but they've forbidden it. On the plus side, we're getting help from both our sides so that pain won't be as bad as we had originally thought.

Comment

If either side of our family demanded something that we couldn't afford, then they get to pay for it. Not help pay for it, but pay for all of it.

My wedding cost a grand total of $800 to pull off (not including what he wore, which was his fancy faire garb and which he went on to wear for years). If anyone had demanded something we weren't choosing to do already, they would have had to foot the bill; we weren't going to put ourselves in debt just to make someone else happy.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We are actually getting help from my fiance's family too...my parents are completely broke and it will honestly be a miracle that my dad can afford the plane ticket from California.

The catch it that they want it to be a "classy" affair if they are contributing since it's their only son's wedding. But the stuff that looks classy is more than they are willing to pay for. FFS I just want to elope but we've already put deposits down. But he wanted the whole wedding experience and wanted to invite everyone under the sun. Then bitches when I tell him how much shit costs. "Wow, all that money for six bridesmaids bouquets?" says that guy who BEGGED to have a large wedding party?

When is this supposed to get fun??!!!

Comment

Oh I get to do this at some point in the future. Just got engaged but fiance doesn't want to get married at this point as he has a lot of debt (read over £20k) and is working on reducing this so we can have a stable start to our marriage.

At the moment things are a bit up in the air anyway but we'll get there in the end, it took us 10 years to get this far

Bet my fiance will be pulling his hair out when we do get to wedding planning and I'll be the one going "it will all work out"

Comment

An idea I've always wanted to do is two small cakes (his family and my Mom/God Parents), one small tiered cake (for the topper and for the bridal party), and then to have cupcakes. I had wanted 4 different kinds of cake and cupcakes just made it seem like a awesome idea. It was also something I could do myself while having the tiered cake done professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                  An idea I've always wanted to do is two small cakes (his family and my Mom/God Parents), one small tiered cake (for the topper and for the bridal party), and then to have cupcakes. I had wanted 4 different kinds of cake and cupcakes just made it seem like a awesome idea. It was also something I could do myself while having the tiered cake done professionally.
                  Same here! The baker recommended by our prospective caterer quoted us $980!!! He can fuck right off! And if they try to charge us a cutting fee for bringing in another cake, then that's the last straw.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                    It was also something I could do myself while having the tiered cake done professionally.
                    Cupcakes are awesome, but I wouldn't try to do it yourself. Get a friend or family member to do it. In the 48 hours before our wedding, I was so stressed and freaked out over stuff that if I had to add "bake and ice cupcakes" to the list...I would probably have lost my mind. If it hadn't been for family/friends volunteering to put together the food table, decorate the space, help with makeup, go get the cakes, make emergency Sonic runs, take pictures.....nothing would've got done.

Comment

I wish I could offer advice, but I have zero experience.

I can offer homemade challah bread and a nice strong espresso

Comment

My wife and I financed our entire wedding ourselves and we told our family basically: This is when it is, where it is and how it's going to be. If you don't like that you can choose not to attend.

My mother refused to attend because my father and stepmother were going to be there. It wasn't until the NIGHT BEFORE the ceremony that she finally committed to going.

I had told her straight up that while I would be disappointed she wouldn't be going if she chose not to, I would not let it ruin OUR (my wife and I) big day, nor was I willing to make concessions like telling my dad not to come simply to placate her.

I'm glad everything came off smooth in the end, I was worried she may confront my dad and potentially start a scene but they stayed far away from each other the whole night.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                          Cupcakes are awesome, but I wouldn't try to do it yourself. Get a friend or family member to do it. In the 48 hours before our wedding, I was so stressed and freaked out over stuff that if I had to add "bake and ice cupcakes" to the list...I would probably have lost my mind. If it hadn't been for family/friends volunteering to put together the food table, decorate the space, help with makeup, go get the cakes, make emergency Sonic runs, take pictures.....nothing would've got done.
                          Currently single so it doesn't matter anyways.

Comment

Oh, sorry.

Comment

The one thing I really do not like, is how some businesses will charge extra for ANYTHING "wedding" related. That includes flower bouquets, cakes, the function hall and so on. I've heard of people ringing up and booking a "function" and getting quoted one price, then ringing up and saying it's a "wedding reception" or a "wedding ceremony" and suddenly the price doubles. (it would've been same time, same number of guests, same room)
                              I can understand Bridezillas getting angry that the florist/caterer/dressmaker/whatever is out of something, but to charge extra for it is ridiculous.

Although that said, the amount of pettyness with some people's wedding planning is absurd. Not to disparage the OP or anyone else, but I plan on at least being flexible if/when I get married. So if the florist can't provide midnight blue rose petals, she can only provide navy, that's fine. If the caterer runs out of chicken and can only provide fish, that's fine (nobody on my family or my boyfriend's family avoid fish). If the dressmaker doesn't have enough fabric to make 3 bridesmaids dresses and she can only do one, that's fine, I can have my bridesmaids look unique! If the function hall strips their dark brown floor and is replacing it with a lighter one, that's fine, we can use lighting to make it look better. If the DJ can't provide us with a smoke machine, but can only provide a bubble machine, that's fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X