Please Explain How This Makes Sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Explain How This Makes Sense

(I put this under Thing I Hate, because this is a rant about the ignorance of people rather than a political debate. I could be wrong and I'm really sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.)

I'll be the first to admit that I don't have clue about American politics. It's sad, but I honestly just don't care enough to delve into it. With all of the muckraking and yellow journalism surrounding elections, I just can't do it. I know generally what candidates are for what, but that's about it. I also don't vote, because I'm honest enough to admit that I don't know enough to make an informed decision.

Now that that is out of the way, this is about an acquaintance. She is a die hard Romney fan. Most of her posts are about how evil Obama is and how Romney is amazing. Blah, blah, blah.

What I don't understand is why she supports him. She is on welfare, food stamps, gets subsidized housing, her kid gets state medical insurance (which gets used a lot due to all of his...medical problems) and she also lives off of her husband's life insurance. She won't get a job, because that would cut her benefits. She also constantly begs people for their assistance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with all that money and support she's receiving from the state, why would she support Romney. Last time I checked, he's all about not giving people state aid.

Did someone talk her into thinking Obama is a Muslim terrorist? That could explain a lot.

Comment

I'm going to be honest. She is one of those...um....crazy kind of people. She is a fabulous hypocrite too. It drives me nuts. Mr. Wooden has deleted her from Facebook, because he's tired of all the crap she posts. Right now, it's a "I'm a fantastic Christian who has sworn off of sex until I'm married...right after I go to church with a hickey" sort of thing.

I just don't know about her sometimes. I would like to inquire as to her reasoning behind her political choices besides "Obama is a fake, lying man" or "Obama is using stall tactics". She did post that Romney is "fighting a really good fight".

It really took all of my good sense not to post that the "really good fight" he's fighting is going to land her in a homeless shelter. That's why I posted here instead.

Comment

People are stupid. More specifically, a lot of people apparently don't realize how much they benefit from what their party says it wants to do away with.

She's far from alone. Especially interesting, to me, is that, looking at aid programs, people in the states that send more into the federal government for them than they get back poll in favor of the arrangement while those who get the benefit tend to say they're against it.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

There is a sub-set of the world that honestly believes that their hardships (which they've often suffered their entire lives) are only temporary, and as soon as a new guy gets into office, they'll suddenly be rich, so they should vote for the guy who appeals to rich people, because that's what they really are, no matter what they happen to be right now.

I've known a few of these. They're utterly delusional, but they've become so invested in their delusion that it would be psychologically harmful to them to actually admit to anyone, especially themselves, that they made a mistake, so damn the course, full speed ahead.

This is the same sort of mentality that Nigerian scammers exploit. A poster on another forum I frequent had his dad get sucked in, and it's fascinating, frighting, and frustrating to deal with, and unless you know your psych work, you're unlikely to disabuse such people from their beliefs.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

There are no poor Americans. Only temporarily embarrassed millionaires.

Comment

I had a friend who wants to vote for Romney. She wants to be a teacher and she has a fair amount of student loan debt. She thinks teachers are underpaid and not rewarded enough after retirement. She doesn't see the irony in her pick of presidential candidate.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Honestly, everyone that I have talked to that has supported Romney were not so much for Romney. They just hated Obama. I try not to get into political debates with customers, I just make disarming statements so I can go about my day.
                But I did have a stop where this lady was dead set on telling me who I should vote for, and of course it was Romney. Her reasoning is that Obama was trying to take control of the country, was a terrorist, was a Muslim, was not born in the US, and that he was going to make the country weak by disarming the military.

Yeah, the derp was strong with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                  *snip* Her reasoning is that Obama was trying to take control of the country, was a terrorist, was a Muslim, was not born in the US, and that he was going to make the country weak by disarming the military.

Yeah, the derp was strong with this one.
                  Oh for fuck's sake. Where do they get these ideas?
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                    Honestly, everyone that I have talked to that has supported Romney were not so much for Romney. They just hated Obama.
                    I'm going to agree with you on this one. With the exception of one person that I'm friends with on FB, the people who support Romney are more of an anti-Obama crowd.

I did wind up posting a kind of passive aggressive status about those certain ironies. The person I was referencing in the OP commented nothing of substance. She wrote more about needing welfare reform or something like that.

I may just hole up in a cave until after November.

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                    There are no poor Americans. Only temporarily embarrassed millionaires.
                    I think I love you

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
                      Oh for fuck's sake. Where do they get these ideas?
                      Fox News, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones, Breitbart.com, World Net Daily, Pam Geller, Dinesh D'souza...take your pick. Heck, even certain Republican politicians at both the state and federal levels have promoted similar theories.

Comment

The problem with the "Not for Romney but against Obama" crowd is they're always against him for reasons pulled from an entirely different reality than our own. There are plenty of valid criticisms you could make of the president, but the only ones you hear are that he's a Kenyan Muslim Giga-Communist.

However, even with the criticisms of the president, Romney is objectively if not horrifically worse in every possible category than Obama.

Comment

Working...
                        X