My Neighbor's Motorcycle in the Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Neighbor's Motorcycle in the Morning

I mentioned my neighbors in a couple threads in CS.com, one of which is an alcoholic who bothers us from time to time with her needing assistance to get back into her condo at 3am.

There are other neighbors who, in a way, are even more annoying. She has a motorcyclist boyfriend who seems mostly friendly, but every other Sunday morning at 7am, when I'm trying to get a full night's sleep, I hear the sound of his motorcycle's engine turning on, which is parked directly in front of my bedroom window.

This, in and of itself, isn't something I can really fault him for; if he has to leave early in the morning, then so be it. But he then proceeds to leave the fucking thing idle for 10 minutes doing God knows what (I am too tired to walk up to the window and see). Finally, he gets on the bike, does a few really annoying loud revs as he backs up. And then guns the throttle as if he just spotted a horde of zombies closing in on him, at which point I'd be rooting for the zombies.

Just to give him the benefit of the doubt, I search online to see if revving the throttle on a bike is some sort of needed thing to warm up the engine or sort of get the fuel or oil flowing before you ride it. Nope. As one person put it, "It's his way of telling you his dick is so small, this is all he has to show off. Sad, innit?"

It's seriously pissing me off. How the fuck can you have such low consideration for your neighbors that you feel like this sort of thing makes you such a badass, we don't care if you do it at 7am on a weekend day?

If you're on good terms with the neighbor, you might consider mentioning to her that his bike is kind of loud and could he park somewhere else (if that's an option) our just try to be a little less revvy when he takes off early on a Sunday morning.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

One of my neighbors sometimes engages in similar behavior. He has a Harley, and nearly every weekend, it's outside "being worked on." He'll fire it up in the garage, let it idle, and then floor it. I know his driveway is a bit on the steep side, but the amount of noise required to move that thing...is truly mind-blowing. Only jets make that much noise!

Over the years, I've noticed that the habit of constantly revving the engine--when at a traffic light or stop sign--seems to be quite common among Harley owners. You don't see my other neighbors do it. One of them owns a Ducati, the other a Kawasaki, and they don't see a need to constantly "check if the engine is running..."

Still, if I'd say anything to the guy across the street, I'd be a bit of a hypocrite. Why? My MG has a loud exhaust (which is how the cars were originally), which gets even louder if the choke is out. If the car has been sitting, it usually requires a bit of throttle when reversing out of the garage. Once outside, I usually leave it idling a few minutes while I close the garage door. By then, it's warmed up enough that I can start pushing the choke back in...and it'll quiet down somewhat.

Comment

"Rev that engine louder. I can't hear how small your dick is."
        -Jay 2K

Comment

Ok, I will have to give HALF credit here: I do own a motorcycle and since mine is not fuel injected and uses a carburetor it has to idle for 5-10 min to warm up or else it can stall out before its up to running temp, the gunning the engine part defiantly goes to the SPS that rider has. I try and move my bike away from where the sound will be directed towards anyone's window, but then again I am someone whom likes a quiet bike, and is considerate of others.

Comment

That's exactly it. There's a big difference between letting your vehicle idle...and red-lining it. My MG runs a pair of carbs, and they sometimes are a bit fiddly until they warm up a bit. I'll gently apply the throttle to clear their throats and/or drive out any moisture. What I DON'T do, is spin the engine up to 8,000RPM. What's the point, other than to possibly damage the engine or call unwanted attention to myself and piss people off? My neighbors are pretty tolerant in that they don't say anything if I arrive home late, or work in the garage during summer with the door up. No sense in screwing that up if I don't have to

Comment

Working...
            X