Tail-gaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
    I would've been trying to get the plate number as the guy was flaunting his trunk at me, but you probably didn't think it would escalate past that. I guess I was taught while learning to drive that if someone is doing something dangerous (flashing break lights is not dangerous, passing someone, cutting them off then breaking hard is) that I immediately get as much information on the car - or tell my passengers to do it - as I can to inform the police.

Probably a generational thing.
    Well, it depends... if I'd had time to think, I probably would have read their number, but there's essentially no chance I'd have remembered it by the time I got somewhere safe, and it certainly wasn't the time to try to drive while digging for a pen and paper. And of course it was over faster than it takes to tell about.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      Well, it depends... if I'd had time to think, I probably would have read their number, but there's essentially no chance I'd have remembered it by the time I got somewhere safe, and it certainly wasn't the time to try to drive while digging for a pen and paper. And of course it was over faster than it takes to tell about.
      I understand. I'm one of those people with a flash, short term memory. So I can flash memorize it and keep it committed to memory perfectly for (the longest I've gone) about an hour, so that's probably another difference.

I'm just glad you're okay and the guy got bored before he caused an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
        Others tailgate because they think they're NASCAR drivers and can "draft" you. They think they can save gas that way, when they don't realize it takes a long distance to save anything substantial.
        Fuel may be expensive, but sheet metal is even more expensive.

This is when you call the police. No ifs, ands, or buts. Give them a description of the car and the plate number.

I was driving in Boston, and I had to make a right (friend giving me directions was a bit late in telling me.) I doubled checked to change lanes, saw a car about a car-length and a half behind me, and so I sped up slightly, switched lanes over and then took a right. The jerk honked his horn, followed me down the road, passed me, sped up and crossed his car against the road so that I couldn't get by. He got out of his car (he was dressed as a "bro" if that means anything) and started to scream at me.
        To me, that guy's actions indicate "attempted hijacking". If the Peterbilt of Natural Selection is moving, I'm armed (yes, 40 tons of steel in motion IS a weapon). Situation like that happens? If there's enough room to get around him SAFELY without slowing down enough for him to jump onto the steps, I'd go THROUGH him, and explain the incident as defending myself from what looked like a hijacking attempt.

Comment

I was driving in Boston, and I had to make a right (friend giving me directions was a bit late in telling me.) I doubled checked to change lanes, saw a car about a car-length and a half behind me, and so I sped up slightly, switched lanes over and then took a right. The jerk honked his horn, followed me down the road, passed me, sped up and crossed his car against the road so that I couldn't get by. He got out of his car (he was dressed as a "bro" if that means anything) and started to scream at me.
          I had the same exact thing happen to me in Providence many years ago. Do you happen to remember if he was a flatbed truck?

I safely went into a lane in rush hour 15 mph traffic some 50 feet in front of a truck who got pissed. When I exited to another highway the traffic loosened right up and he began following me at an extremely close distance, continuing to honk. I basically gunned it, going about 80 mph, and he still continued to chase my ass. It wasn't until I did some rather erratic maneuvering around some cars that he gave up and exited, presumably to return to the Interstate where he was supposed to be going.

Comment

Working...
          X