"Daylight Savings Time"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Daylight Savings Time"

No, this thread isn't about the ritual of setting clocks forward in Spring and back in the Fall for the purpose of... something or other.

This thread is about the phrase, "Daylight Savings Time." Because it's wrong.

Now, I don't mind when regular people just talking put that second 'S' in there. They can't help it. They don't know any better.

But journalists... Journalists should know better. They should know that it's "Daylight Saving Time," and I shouldn't be greeted with headlines getting it wrong. >_<

Yeah. It's a nitpicky thing to hate. It still irks me.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

I always thought it was supposed to be savings. I guess I thought of it more in the way of a savings account rather than saving something. It also seems to roll off the tongue a little better with that second s.

Comment

Well, most people have heard it with the second 's' so they repeat it with the second 's' and now it sounds "wrong" to them without it.

I can be a bit OCD when it comes to language (I've been known to correct my own Skype posts and have written in to places regarding typos in their headlines... >_> ), and I wrote a rather detailed report on DST some time back, so it sticks with me more than it otherwise might.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I dislike the whole thing, s or not. That may just be me though. I loved it when I would get paid 8 hours for working 7, and get an hour of overtime pay though...

Comment

Whenever I hear "Daylight Savings Time" I think of an overtly annoying commercial announcer screaming about big "Savings" at some discount daylight store.

But whenever I hear "Daylight Saving Time" I feel like that second 's' is missing and it feels awkward.

So, I'm never happy around this time.

Comment

I don't care (much, anyway) about what it's called; I just would rather do the "fall back" whenever I feel like it ad the "spring forward" never.
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              I don't care (much, anyway) about what it's called; I just would rather do the "fall back" whenever I feel like it ad the "spring forward" never.
              Amen to that. I was so happy when I realized that I had forgotten to turn my alarm clock back the night before and since it was only 8am when I woke up, I felt no guilt in happily faceplanting my pillow for another hour.

Comment

I love DST and I get sad when we go back to Standard Time.

As for journalistic mistakes what about all the ones that say a book or film or whatever is "entitled" instead of "titled" which is the proper way.
                https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

That bothers me, too.

As does apostrophe abuse (which I committed while discussing it, once, much to my chagrin) and any number of other issues.

It's just that we just switched back to ST in the US, so this was on my mind.

And a bunch of people around me and things I've been exposed to have gotten in wrong almost to the last, so the irritation was fresh.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                    Standard time has its pros and cons... on the pro side you get to sleep in while your body kinda adjusts, but on the con side the sun sets before 4:30 by December (in New England, anyway).

Comment

And falling back bites when it happens during a long night shift, for us night shifters.

Comment

Oh, and in the same vein: I don't care what you've heard, there is no "i" in "electoral college." >_<

My boss has been saying "electorial" for days and it's all I'm worth to not correct her.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
                          And falling back bites when it happens during a long night shift, for us night shifters.
                          I don't work nights and never really have but once years ago when I was in school some friends and I were pulling a late night radio shift and we stayed the extra hour. The guy next to us, on the actual FM radio station (we were cable) left and didn't stay the extra hour like we did.

So I got to experience that once anyway.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

I've done that shift a couple times (and the equivalent spring one), but the most memorable was in 2003. First week of a brand new store, and the *last* night it was open 24 hours until they all went that way because sales were awful. So awful, the first night we didn't get even one customer between 10PM and 5AM. Business had picked up a little by Saturday night... but because of an oddity in the POS software, the system couldn't be opened until the "new" time had caught up to where the "old" one had got to. And about half our customers from the overnight hours for the whole week came through that one hour when there were no registers.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I just noted that the "edit profile" page on my forum mentioned "Daylight Savings Time," yet the "create profile" page said "Daylight Saving Time," without the extra "s."

Not sure how I pulled that off, considering I'm the one who typed out all of those thousands of lines of code.
                              "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Working...
                              X