No announcement yet.

TV commercials for prescription drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't owned a television for years so don't know whether these drug ads are commonplace across Canada -- any fellow Canadians want to clue me in on that? But when I used to visit Mom (here in Border Town) when she was still at home and still had cable, I swear that every third commercial at least was for some kind of drug. It was unreal.

Originally posted by Teysa View Post
    *snip*

The first thing my mom asks whenever the doctor puts her on something new is, "What are the side effects besides nausea, vomiting, and death?"
    Love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Pixilated View Post
      I haven't owned a television for years so don't know whether these drug ads are commonplace across Canada -- any fellow Canadians want to clue me in on that? But when I used to visit Mom (here in Border Town) when she was still at home and still had cable, I swear that every third commercial at least was for some kind of drug. It was unreal.

Love it!
      The only way you would see those ads in Canada is by seeing them on American TV stations. The only countries that allow the advertisement of prescription drugs to the general public are the US and New Zealand. Everywhere else, it's illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by rockinricky View Post
        The only way you would see those ads in Canada is by seeing them on American TV stations. The only countries that allow the advertisement of prescription drugs to the general public are the US and New Zealand. Everywhere else, it's illegal.
        ^ Yep

In the US, perscription drugs are free market. Advertising and all. Hence they cost so much. Everywhere else its illegal and any country with universal health care also has pricing regulations. In Canada, the goverment sets drug prices based on the median market value of a drug in other first world countries. They work out the average and set the price to that. Period. In the US, the drug companies are free to sell at any price they want. Hence they tend to be around 70% cheaper in Canada >.>

Comment

Thanks, guys. It's kind of embarrassing that I don't even know that about my own country!

Comment

Working...
          X