"I'm upset, but I can't tell you why"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm upset, but I can't tell you why"

I have way to many people I know, one girl in particular lately, who will call, text, or message me that they are upset but they cannot tell me why. So they rant vaguely about the situation. Then they want my advice or comfort, but their explanation is so vague that there is no way I can offer any help other than vague empathy. I can't really empathize with them because i have no CLUE what the issue is.

Moreover, sometimes all they give me is that they are upset. "I'm upset. I can't tell you why. But it is a huge problem and I need your help, but I can't tell you anything about this situation or problem, even in the vaguest terms."

All I want to do is scream at these people that to either leave me alone in these cases, or tell me what the hell is the problem. I don't know what this giant question mark is, so how do you expect me to get rid of it for you?

More often than not, these announcements come out of nowhere. We haven't talked in hours, days, even months but suddenly they have a problem and I'm the only one they can turn to. But they WILL not or cannot explain what is the issue.

From what I can gather it is always something the person things is earth shattering, but they won't explain it. So I have no context. I don't know if they are making a mountain out of a mole hill or if someone got cancer/raped/attacked. Then I feel like an impotent jerk because all I can say is; "Is there anyway I can help?" or "Well that sucks."

Do any of you know these horrible people?! How do you deal with them?!
    Last edited by hinakiba777; 12-04-2012, 07:40 AM.

I just ignore them after awhile. Not being heartless, but if they wont or cant tell me what the problem is and they refuse to seek help from anyone then there isnt anything you can do.

Comment

Person I know on FB does this, but she only tells her closest friends the problems before ranting vaguely over them constantly on her statuses. Because I'm not in the innder circle, I'm not allowed to know what the issue is; and yet when I mention I'd like to know I get shrieked at for not knowing, or if I don't say anything and ignore it I get yelled at for being heartless.

Bitch, you've had all the unrelenting comfort from me before. It's just empty repetitive words now. I've already hidden all her posts from my wall and am on the verge of blocking her arse to get some peace!

Comment

I used to be everybody's therapist, especially in college. Any time someone came to me with a problem but was too vague, I'd just say, "I can't help you if you don't tell me EXACTLY what your problem is." Worked sometimes.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
        X