No announcement yet.

My Anecdotal Evidence is worth more than your sourced material! *neener neener*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Anecdotal Evidence is worth more than your sourced material! *neener neener*

This just happened and I'm still half boggling-half face palming-half very much annoyed. (Yes! Three halves! I am special enough for it.)

Basically, the argument was about using melatonin vs Valerian herb when one is having a short term sleep problem. Personally, I use melatonin because I've researched and found studies that say when you use it short term only, it is quite safe. I only require it short term (maybe two days at most at a time, spaced apart by months.)

This girl goes on a rant about how melatonin will cause anxiety and screw up your brain chemicals and cause long term depression and so we should all be using Valerian herb instead. She says we should do this because she's suffering anxiety and depression after using melatonin (which she never backs up, she's just assuming her anxiety/depression is from the melatonin.)

So I pop up with some sources that say that melatonin is pretty safe. She says none of them are credible (despite several of them being scientific studies) and that I should use credible sources when I want to pretend I know everything.

Even though she has only used the argument of "Well I have anxiety and depression, it MUST be from the melatonin" with no back up at all.

I've stopped arguing with her and just sent a private message to the person who was wondering with my information and the information I found on valerian, telling him it was his choice in the end, I just wanted him to have facts and not paranoia.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

It just irritates me that these people demand sources yet give nothing themselves other than anecdotal evidence. Then when you call them out on it, they hold up their hands and go "Jeez, just trying to give some friendly advice/my opinion and I get ripped apart for it." When they're the ones who started the hostilities by calling everyone else's sources crap and insulting other people.

(Yes! Three halves! I am special enough for it.)
    You're either related to George Frideric Handel, or you're an episode of Car Talk
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
      You're either related to George Frideric Handel, or you're an episode of Car Talk
      I love both Handel and Car Talk.

Comment

And for future derailment...

I'm sorry that the guys retired from doing Car Talk.

Comment

Working...
        X