Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are not my boss so STFU

no matter how much you think you are.

I've just about had it with naggy, smug college professors who think that despite the fact that you are paying to be there, that you have to answer to them. Apparently, I can't even get sick without getting a note threatening to flunk me for a few absenses. Apparently, I also need a doctors excuse to prove that I really was sick, as if they are my fucking boss. If that's so, than where is my salery?

Yeah I get it, they determine the grade and that's fine, but the fact that so many college professors and teachers think that they are the experts on everything just infuriates me.

I'm sorry, I have to ask...

Is there anything about the college experience that you either A) enjoy or B) agree with? I know we tend to only see the bad stuff here on Fratching, but it seems to me that the whole institution is something you have a problem with. Am I correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
      Yeah I get it, they determine the grade and that's fine...
      ...so that means they grade you by what you do (or not do) in their class.

If he says you have to write a report to pass, then you write the report.

If he says you have to present your project to the class on a given date, then you present your project to the class on that given date.

If he says you have to attend class in order to get a good grade, then you attend class, or have a written excuse for not attending class.

What do want from the professor? Just have him grade you however you want because "he's not the boss of you?"

Comment

Attendance policies are usually from the school themselves and not the professors. When i was in school, we had a policy of 3 absences resulted in automatic failure of the class. Those absences could be appealed with a doctor's note, coordination from another professor (if due to their class) or a tragedy like a death in the family.
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Even tho Mom had a heart attack she had to appeal to the school to not be kicked out because of the strict attendance policy. Thankfully two of her teachers were also chair heads or her 4.13 GPA would have been lost.

Comment

You could ask about attendance policies at other schools and transfer to one more lenient...
            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Things must have changed since I went to college. Some classes you could pretty much skate on just taking the final....the profs didn't really care because they figured it was your money that was being wasted.

Comment

I think some of it may have to do with the program. I'm in a nursing program and we are limited to two absences a term - any more and you're automatically dropped.

Comment

It definitely depends on the program. My general education courses (Especially the ones with 600+ students) were usually very cool about absences. As long as you didn't miss tests, quizzes, or the final exam, you were fine. Now, the smaller courses that were more hands-on, you were expected to be there. If you weren't, you better have a good excuse.

Comment

In my school a lot of the classes were smaller, some of them even being restricted to 5 students at the max.

If you were absent a lot from those it was really bad. But at the same time I believe at my school it might've been the teacher's final decision on whether or not you were auto-failed after 3 (that's what they all said, but I know I've been absent more than that but when I discussed it with the teacher they were cool - even if I didn't have a note.)

Comment

Apparently, I also need a doctors excuse to prove that I really was sick, as if they are my fucking boss. If that's so, than where is my salery?
                      They *are* your boss. Your grade is your "salary". Either shape up, or ship out.

Comment

Originally posted by the_std View Post
                        I'm sorry, I have to ask...

Is there anything about the college experience that you either A) enjoy or B) agree with? I know we tend to only see the bad stuff here on Fratching, but it seems to me that the whole institution is something you have a problem with. Am I correct?
                        It's not all bad, it's just stressful sometimes.

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                        ...so that means they grade you by what you do (or not do) in their class.

If he says you have to write a report to pass, then you write the report.

If he says you have to present your project to the class on a given date, then you present your project to the class on that given date.

If he says you have to attend class in order to get a good grade, then you attend class, or have a written excuse for not attending class.

What do want from the professor? Just have him grade you however you want because "he's not the boss of you?"
                        There's a difference between marking me down for an incorrect answer (or simply not doing the assignment) and marking me down over attendance. And it's not just that. It's the fact that they demand a doctors note. Why can't they just take my word for it? I'm really only working for myself here. If I flunk because I did poorly on the assignments, I humbly accept that, but if I flunk over attendance, that's bullshit.

Comment

Unfortunately thats how a lot jobs work out, too. Out certain amount of days in a row you need a doctors note. And certain jobs only let you be late or call out so many times a year.

Comment

Originally posted by bex1218 View Post
                            Unfortunately thats how a lot jobs work out, too. Out certain amount of days in a row you need a doctors note. And certain jobs only let you be late or call out so many times a year.
                            I guess for jobs that would be understandable (though I do think they should be more understanding). But for college it's not necessary at all. All they need to know is if I understood the material. If I missed a few days and caught up (and my grades showed that), than they shouldn't care what reason I was away.

Comment

It's not all bad, it's just stressful sometimes.

There's a difference between marking me down for an incorrect answer (or simply not doing the assignment) and marking me down over attendance. And it's not just that. It's the fact that they demand a doctors note. Why can't they just take my word for it? I'm really only working for myself here. If I flunk because I did poorly on the assignments, I humbly accept that, but if I flunk over attendance, that's bullshit.
                              It's because college is full of slackers. Yes, people are there to learn, improve their lives, and prepare for that career, but they also party.

Most Freshmen in their first semester sign up for every class they need, wherever they can get it. They don't know any better. They end up with classes at 7 or 8am and they end up missing them because they're hung over or still drunk from the night before. Second semester Freshmen apply the unwritten rule of "Never schedule a class before 11am." by the time they become seniors, they're so burned out that they start skipping classes to do other things.

Yes, it is all on you. There's no better way to motivate you to show up for class than to have your grade depend on it. A lot of professors have taken to testing from their lectures rather than the book because of this too.
                              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                              X