Admittedly Seflish Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admittedly Seflish Rant

I believe that a lot of occupations deserve tips, even if the industry doesn't believe so.

However. I understand for people's wallets, it doesn't make sense, so that is fine.

I work at a burrito making place. We like to call it the mexican version on sandwich wae (misspelled on purpose)

We earn tips. We can earn cash, or you can write it in the receipt if paying with card

But people rarely tip.

And you know, it drives me crazy.
    I understand if they only get a burrito, or just a family set of meals. And they don't tip. Okay, cool.

But I see people, who spend like 80, 100, or up to 300 dollars to pay for food for their party, or even more.

That means we have a bunch of things to prepare and make, wrap, set up, etc.

And they don't tip.

They know they're causing us time, they usually do see that we're taking care of the bigger orders instead of helping waiting customers, that we're busting our asses to give them what they want, as big as it is, and as much as it may inconvenience OTHER customers for the wait.

If we had a lot of bad workers, it would make sense.

But aside from two I can think of, we really don't. (I may not be perfect, personally, but there is more than just me.)

And yes, its selfish cause I know its pretty to rude to just assume we deserve tips, and I can see that.

But honestly....I dunno. I feel like shit for thinking like so, but...people can tip over 7 dollar coffee (exaggerating, I know)

But not for a 300 dollar of burritos, quesidillas, etc.?

We remember the tippers, too. That person is more likely to get away with murder on extras, too, with some of my coworkers if they catch a known tipper.

At first I thought you were being unreasonable... until I read you were excusing the smaller orders and talking about the large party orders. I know if I had a $300 order and I saw a "tip" space in the receipt, I'd enter something. It probably wouldn't be 20% but it would definitely be a good amount.

Comment

I like tipping, even for a 5 dollar coffee (usually a dollar and some change, which is more than enough for that price). They work hard and deal with assholes all the time. I would feel bad if I didn't. I almost forgot to tip once. Luckily I remembered. The people who work there are very nice and bust their asses.

I also tip extra on holidays.

Comment

Here in Nevada we tip for pretty much everything. It's just become customary. We have a saying here "If you live by the tip, you die by the tip." Those that work for tips usually tip out more than normal. However, it has gotten to the point where people in general feel like they're entitled to the tip, regardless of the service they provided.

The problem I have with tipping the food service workers, like Subway "artists," is that there is virtually no difference between what they do and what the line cook at McDonald's or Burger King does. Yet nobody ever tips them. If they go out of their way to do something for me, I'll tip them, but that's it.

For large orders, like $300 in Mexican food, I might consider tipping, but it again would come down to what the order entailed, how much notice was given, and how special it was. Again, people aren't tipping Taco Bell employees when they order their 20-30 taco boxes.
        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I usually put a dollar or some change in the tip jar at Chipotle. After a while, you don't get charged for guacamole or extra meat. The people who worked there were awesome and very friendly, so it felt good to help out a little.

...Man, I miss Chipotle. :/ My current town has the benefit of decent Mexican restaurants, but Chipotle burritos are just special.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post

For large orders, like $300 in Mexican food, I might consider tipping, but it again would come down to what the order entailed, how much notice was given, and how special it was. Again, people aren't tipping Taco Bell employees when they order their 20-30 taco boxes.
            Yeah, I understand that.

I do believe fastfood deserves tipping, as well, but that will never come through :<
            I mean, I dunno about Taco Hell (;]) but Mickey's and some other places, a lot of people get plenty of oil burns so easily...or other small injuries that build up after time.

Comment

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post

...Man, I miss Chipotle. :/ My current town has the benefit of decent Mexican restaurants, but Chipotle burritos are just special.
              Chipotle is our competition in town, now that we took over Qdoba areas for the city.

Comment

Working...
              X