Yes, I do not watch TV anymore.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I do not watch TV anymore.

I have cut 95% of TV out of my life. No more sitcoms, reality TV and other stupid crap that passes for TV. Shows I do like; Dr. Who, Game of Thrones etc. I just pick up on DVD as they come out. And with the cost of cable TV these days, over the course of a year, I WIN.

But people always look at me like I am some kind werido when I dint watch the new sitcom with people I don't care about. Or think that talent shows are a waste of time. Others think that since I don't watch TV I am 'bored' when I am at home.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. The few remaining shows that i like, I either watch on Hulu, their respective network sites, or find a torrent. Then I buy the DVD/BluRays when they're released.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Andara and I don't watch broadcast television, nor do we have a Cable/Satellite subscription. We prefer to watch what we want, when we're in the mood for it, not on a network's time-table. As such, we have Netflix and Hulu subscriptions (we don't actually use Netflix's on-demand service much, but the discs-by-mail gets us the stuff that isn't on Netflix or Hulu on-demand), and we recently added Crunchyroll for anime stuff. Although Hulu has anime, it's often grossly censored. I can't imagine why they'd pick up a series like So, I can't play H and then censor it - fanservice is 2/3 of the show's purpose.

Comment

Another note on anime through Hulu or Netflix: The coverage is spotty, at best. They'll have some episodes, but not others, some will be dubbed, others will be subbed. And in at least one case, the dubs include two different studio's versions, making for some really uneven watching.

We do like to keep current on a few shows, which Hulu is good for, but if it's not on Hulu, we just wait until it hits disk and is on Netflix. Or we buy it.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Funimation is pretty good about putting series on Youtube. You have to watch a few commercials, but not as many as Hulu.

Comment

I'd have to own a TV in order to watch it

OK I could get a usb freeview dongle (uk 20-50 cant remember free to air chanels soon we will be at the springsteen song of 57 channels and nothing on), but I can't justify it with my schedule at work and my ability to fall asleep at 3pm when comming home from the morning shift.

So I just watch dr who, never mind the buzzcocks and QI on bbc iPlayer, I was watching the rerun of Nazi's a warning from history but my iplayer desktop program thingie blanked itself and I missed alot of the shows cos I had a whole month in order to watch em, yet only 7 days if I streamed.

Never seen Game of thrones but got season one and the complete Wire at tesco's a few weeks back (only cos I haven't made it to the recently reopened HMV after they closed down the branch in May).

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
              But people always look at me like I am some kind werido when I dint watch the new sitcom with people I don't care about. Or think that talent shows are a waste of time. Others think that since I don't watch TV I am 'bored' when I am at home.
              I get this too, I watched the first two seasons of "walking dead", and then realized, I was wasting an hour of my life each week, for something that was pretty repetitive(and that was the ONLY thing I watched). I HATE most sitcoms, because I hate stereotypes(looking at you big bang theory), reality TV is too "faked" for me to find it enjoyable. I'd rather read a book, that caters to MY schedule(and I can choose "fluff", or something that I'll actually learn something from. Two of the three people I work with just cannot understand how someone can just cut out TV, and still be happy. One brags about having close to 40 hours of shows to watch every weekend on his DVR, sorry at that point it's not enjoyment, it's a second unpaid job(and when I was watching walking dead-He'd wait a week or two to watch it, and he'd SCREAM at you if you said anything that would "ruin" it-chill it's a tv program, not life or death.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Season 3 of Walking Dead is actually quite good, although they haven't fleshed out Michonne's character as much as I'd like. It's actually one of the few live-action serial TV shows I watch.

Comment

We don't watch any TV. None. We watch movies and sometimes shows on Netflix, and my son watches series on Netflix or DVD (it's funny at his grandparents' houses, he gets really frustrated with commercials because he normally never sees them).

The vast majority of TV is crap so we save money on cable/satellite and just watch what we want a little after everyone else does.

You are not alone!

Comment

I love the internet.
                    I rarely watch TV, since "The Closer" ended.

When I was a teen, I used it for music channels too. I rather listen to music and read. (I was too poor for MP3, so shoot me)

Comment

Funny, most people who I tell that I don't really watch TV much anymore say they don't either, other than a few shows. The same few shows, usually - Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, or Breaking Bad. I never liked Walking Dead ,but I do watch Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad. Everything else I watch is stuff on Netflix, when I'm in the mood for it.

Comment

My internet connection is, on average, just slow enough to make streaming aggravating. Not too bad for picking up an occasional Daily Show now and then that didn't record correctly, but too frustrating to fool with for more than that, and it would be intolerable for paid content like Netflix (which I'd never get anything else done ever if I had anyway if it worked; lost most of a week to it last year when left alone at my brother's house.) I have a computer tucked away in the spare room at Dad's that records what I want off his TV. I switch out thumb drives once or twice a week and wind up deleting half of it unwatched...but I can also keep whatever I want as long as I want, and the thought of buying box sets of something I probably won't ever want to see a second time and might even get tired of halfway though a season just isn't appealing.
                        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
                          Not from where I'm standing. I gave up TV years ago and I do not fugging miss it. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. I only watch what I want to watch and that's it.

No reality, no insipid sitcoms that are a rehash of things done to death many times before, no shows that are older than my children had jumped the shark before they were all out of diapers.

Simpsons...I'm looking right at you.

So I'm just as weird as you are.
                          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
                            I'm pretty much in the same boat. The few remaining shows that i like, I either watch on Hulu, their respective network sites, or find a torrent. Then I buy the DVD/BluRays when they're released.
                            Same here. Right now I watch NCIS, NCIS:LA, Burn Notice, Arrow, and Young Justice (when CN deems to run it). Occasionally I'll watch Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, or Last Man Standing (that one's actually pretty funny) with Mr Jedi. But I rarely watch anything when it actually runs on TV. It's either network websites, torrents, or DVDs.

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                            we recently added Crunchyroll for anime stuff.
                            Does Crunchyroll have subbed or dubbed stuff? I'm picky, lol. Another good site is Kumby, but most of their stuff is fansubbed, so be aware. Which reminds me, I need to finish Hellsing....

Originally posted by AdminAssistant View Post
                            Funimation is pretty good about putting series on Youtube. You have to watch a few commercials, but not as many as Hulu.
                            You can get around the ads in Chrome with AdBlock. Best. Add on. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by jedimaster91 View Post
                              Does Crunchyroll have subbed or dubbed stuff? I'm picky, lol. Another good site is Kumby, but most of their stuff is fansubbed, so be aware. Which reminds me, I need to finish Hellsing....
                              Crunchyroll is all subs, all the time. They have licensing agreements with the production studios, and even went so far as to get a simulcast license from the Japanese companies, so that they can release subbed episodes on the same day that the episode airs in Japan. It's hard to beat that kind of dedication.

I should note that the main reason we have a TV, and the avenue through which we watch our shows/movies, is my love of console gaming. We do it all through my 360, and Crunchyroll was just added to the 360 video apps library. That alone speaks to CR's legitimacy - Microsoft wouldn't be penning agreements like that with bootleggers.

Comment

Working...
                              X