I don't even know what to title this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't even know what to title this.

So, several things happened today that just pissed me off and reminded me why I try to avoid politics as much as possible. I don't think this should go into politics, because it's much more a rant about ignorance and brainwashing than it is politics.

1) Someone decided to refer to Obama as "that Muslim" as if being Muslim was some horrible thing. As if they were a crazy psychopath. Then, right after, they said "that nigger who can't even prove he's a US citizen."

2) Blame the liberal media.

3) Called me an idiot, because I actually know the facts behind the whole "fiscal cliff" debacle instead of just what Faux News decided to say.

4) Had my entire post ignored, just so they could call me an idiot and continue to toot their horn without bringing any facts to the table other than "Obama the Muslim-nigger who isn't even a US citizen who fucked everything up the tax rates returning to the higher percentage is 100% Obama's fault. He's brainwashed everyone."

5) Defriended a friend simply for the fact that she associates with these kinds of people and constantly repeats what they say. - Well, and the fact that all she does is complain about her paycheck, her job, her car, when I know for a fact she's constantly getting her hair done, new clothes, has an expensive smartphone and goes to conventions (for those who don't know, conventions are expensive as fuck.)

6) Got - and still am - nauseated from this entire issue and feel ready to vomit because that kind of mindless screaming rather than good discussion (like we strive for here) actually makes me physically ill because I cannot stop myself from getting frustrated and angry. Typically because they don't show their true colors until a bit into the talk and when they do it is instantly just... ugh. I'm only going to talk about contentious stuff on here from now on.

7) ... and today started out soooooo well!

Call it, "A good day's work." Someone who chooses to call Obama a "nigger" and spouts birther nonsense isn't interested in facts or logic. He just wants to assert and confirm his own world-view. Removing him from your social circle benefits everyone - he gets to live in his own little echo chamber, and you get to remove such venomous vitriol from your environment.

Comment

Honestly, I can't take birthers (or those "Obama is a nigger/muslim/communist/terrorist/etc" idiots) seriously enough to even care what they think or have to say.

You know, other than to take their arguments apart and lay out just how ignorant they are for anyone else who might be interested in facts, anyway.

If you're referring to Facebook, and alternative to de-friending over idiotic updates would be to just set them to not display. That way, you're still in their circle and can check up on them when you feel like it, but don't have to put up with their idiocy on your feed.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I've done that to a few people who have only somewhat intolerable ways of going about voicing their opinions (IE they do it in meme form rather than talking to me) but otherwise I enjoy talking / hanging out with them in person.

I really only defriend people when I know what they say on Facebook is something that will not be ignored/gotten past when chit chatting / hanging out in person. I just would not be able to hang out with her when she is friends with people who throw out Muslim as an insult/dirty word and also the word "nigger" and haven no qualms in doing so. She didn't call them out on their language, just typed "So true."

Comment

Just out of curiosity... how expensive *is* fuck these days?
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            Depends on if you go to the movie before or after 5PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
              For me, it requires months of putting aside money in advance (so the convention I'm going to in August? I'm already putting money aside now in January.)

Comment

An option for the thread title:
                AAARRRGGHHH!!! %$#%#@#$
                Just a thought.

Comment

I can't believe the birthers are still around. They have been flat out proven wrong. What leg do they really have to stand on? Not that they had one to stand on in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                    I can't believe the birthers are still around. They have been flat out proven wrong. What leg do they really have to stand on? Not that they had one to stand on in the first place.
                    Birthers and other conspiracy theorists are immune from arguments based on fact. Obama provided documents proving he was born in the US? Well, obviously someone forged the documents.

As you go down the slope of finding fact after fact, the theorist has to include more and more people into those who are behind the supposed lie. Doctors at hospitals in Hawaii, document handlers in Washington DC, and reverends in Chicago become part of the conspiracy, along with administrators at Harvard and Columbia who forged documents claiming he was born in Honolulu.

If you continue to go down the path, eventually they will throw their hands up, claim Honolulu doesn't even exist, and all the Hawaiian Airlines flights actually take people to a secret bunker where they are administered drugs to make them believe they are on a pacific island.

At that point they are joined by the Pearl Harbor conspiracy theorists who by then have reached the same conclusion.

Comment

Some of the Birthers skip past the "born in Hawaii" argument, and claim that he's not a Citizen because his father wasn't - as though that's the only criteria possible. Never mind that the statute in question says "parent," not, "father," and his mother is, and was, most certainly a Citizen.

Comment

I think some of the birthers have given up the "born in Kenya" thing and moved on to other possible places for his birth. I think some are saying he was born in Indonesia, while I think I've also heard some say he was born in Hawaii before it became a state.

Some of them say, "Well, his father was born in Kenya!" as if that is proof that Obama must have been born there, too. My mom was born in Coshocton, Ohio. Does that mean I absolutely must have been born there, too? I wasn't, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by guywithashovel View Post
                          I think some of the birthers have given up the "born in Kenya" thing and moved on to other possible places for his birth. I think some are saying he was born in Indonesia, while I think I've also heard some say he was born in Hawaii before it became a state.
                          For the last group, it'd be fun to ask their opinion of one of the early (i.e. born before 1776) presidents, and then use their own argument against them. If someone says Obama can't be President because he was born in HI before it became a state (note - he's not old enough for that to be true), but that person admires Washington as a father of his country, how would they react to being told Washington should never have been allowed to be president because he was born in VA before it became a state.

Comment

I got a little fed up yesterday when 2 different people posted the same stupid picture with the same false message that has been proven wrong by hoax busting sites all over the internet.
                            It was a picture of Obama carrying a book with the headline:
                            THIS PHOTO SHOULD STUN AND SADDEN ALL AMERICANS! THE BOOK HE IS HOLDING IS CALLED THE POST- AMERICAN WORLD…WRITTEN BY A MUSLIM, FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW POST MEANS THE WORLD AFTER AMERICA AS WE NOW KNOW IT!!!!! PLEASE SHARE THE HELL OUT OF THIS!!!!
                            I googled it and found the truth in 30 seconds:
                            http://wafflesatnoon.com/2012/11/03/...merican-world/

Quite frankly, even if the interpretation of that Obama picture was real, I think I would be happy that I had a president who actually read things for himself to see what it was about, rather than just responding to kneejerk reactions that call for bans on books before anybody can read them and be corrupted.
                            To me, that attitude reeks more of "Muslim mentality" than anything.

As an aside, one of the women is the absolute worst for passing on anything related to Obama (as long as it's negative), patriotism, the right to bear arms, or the Bible.
                            She passes it all on, whether it's true or not.
                            Every stupid conspiracy theory ends up gracing my news feed.

Every time, I just post a link to snopes or hoax-slayer, or some other hoax busting site, but it doesn't really matter.

Before Christmas, she started in with that "Facebook is trying to block the picture of the baby Jesus" crap. I posted the link to "thatsnonsense.com" showing it was a big lie. No response, and the post stayed up.

She posted that other stupid, "Pepsi is removing "Under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance they are printing on their cans. I posted the link to the Hoax-Slayer page, and a friend of hers said, "Well then, they should tell the world that," so I posted the link to Pepsi's own page where they said they had never even planned to do a can like that. (It wasn't even Pepsi's product that started the controversy. It was Dr Pepper, and it was all just a stupid over-reaction from some stupid zealot because they only had room for "One country...Indivisible" and the moron took it to mean that they deliberately left out "God".)

I am Canadian and I really don't give a crap about American politics.

I just hide the crap from my news feed if I find it really annoying, but I usually just try to set the record straight first.
                            Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

That person sounds like me when I was a teenager. So sure of themselves despite having nothing to back up their points.

Comment

Working...
                              X