Car Shopping!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Shopping!

My wife and I have been through a crazy week this past week while car shopping.

First we went to a large local dealership that advertises regularly on TV mainly because we both really like the car brand (Honda). We looked at some cars and found a few we were happy with. We told the salesperson the MAXIMUM monthly payment we could afford and the down payment we were willing to put up. We also told him that in lieu of a Honda, there were only a select few other makes and models of vehicles we were willing to consider.

The next day after running credit and all that fun stuff we find out that we won't be able to afford a Honda. The salesperson then shows us a Ford Expedition. Ford wasn't on our list of makes. The vehicle was ok but I refused to get it on account of the terrible gas mileage it has (15 MPG).

Then they showed us a Chevy Malibu we both liked and led us to believe that, more than likely, we could probably get that car.

The day after we went in after they called and told us they had a "Deal that would work". But when we got there, instead of saying a peep about the Malibu, the salesperson starts showing us other vehicle options. He would not give us any specifics about what kind of financing we were eligible for, only cryptically that the "bank would only approve certain vehicles at certain mileages". He proceeded to show us a Chevy HHR, A Dodge Durango and then he tried to show us a Ford Focus, which we refused to see.

Also of note: Neither Dodge or Ford were on our list of desired makes. Chevy was but only for cars.

Already frustrated, I told the salesperson we wanted the Malibu. Before he went to get us the information on that he told us to be "Flexible on our monthly payment" even though we'd already given him our max.

Then when he came back he dropped the bomb on us. We could get the Malibu but the monthly payment would be TWICE AS MUCH as we could afford! ("Deal that would work" my butt).

When I frustratingly told him there's no way that could work he said "Well I can get you that HHR for $100 a month less".

GRRRRRR....

Look you moron. I TOLD YOU what we could afford to pay and I TOLD YOU we didn't want the HHR so why won't you LISTEN??

He refused to tell me which lenders were offering us financing or even what amount they were willing to give and continually kept trying to shovel cars at us that we DIDN'T WANT.

After taking a few days to detox from that experience, we ended up going to a smaller local car lot run by the brother of a woman we go to church with. A guy we know from that same church happens to work there and set us up with a good deal.

We got a vehicle that matched every item on our wish list, at a price we could afford with no hassle or BS or nonsense whatsoever. They even let my wife and I drive the car off the lot to have lunch while we contemplated buying it. The whole process went smoothly and we drove it off the lot within 3 hours.

I will be referring people to this car lot and telling them to stay far away from the big name dealer.

There are other games some dealers like to play with financing, too... like saying you're approved, selling you the car (and, importantly, taking your old one in trade-in and immediately selling it elsewhere), then coming back *later* to say your loan was denied.

I've read that it's best to get yourself approved on your own for a car loan from a bank, and then use that one unless the dealer comes up with something significantly better.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Sounds like that dealer is even more unscrupulous than those who I've encountered.

I've come across pushy dealers, but even they don't get me to the dealership to offer a deal I simply can't accept like twice the monthly payments. They might try to upsell me to like $20 extra per month, but they do back down when I tell them my max payment is not negotiable.

One thing I've found is, if you can, try to go to the dealership at the end of the month. That's when they're most apt to make a deal in your favor because that's usually when their quotas are due and they're always willing to do whatever they can to get those extra few sales before the month is up. Unlike other places, dealerships do negotiate prices and you can haggle, especially with used cars.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        Unlike other places, dealerships do negotiate prices and you can haggle, especially with used cars.
        Not always. Eight years ago my Mazda was dying, so I made my first-ever visit to a car dealership. The guy just took a copy of my license and handed over the keys for a test drive. Other than that, I was ignored. I approached their salesman (the one who gave me the keys) and asked about negotiating price on one of the cars. His response was "We don't negotiate prices" and shrugged me off. It was clear as day he didn't want to deal with me and I assume it's because I was a) female or b) he didn't think I could afford it.

I eventually bought a Toyota from Hertz, which was a prior rental and only 1-1/2 years new to me. It was topping my budget, but I got a good price, and got all the features I wanted. Hertz also doesn't negotiate pricing, the sticker price is the selling price. But unlike *big dealership*, they were very up-front about it and the salesman was completely attentive without being pushy. If I buy another used car, I'll certainly check the rental places again.

Comment

I would have loved to get a loan through my credit union but they do not loan to non-citizens.

We had no trade in as we had no desire to get rid off the fully functioning paid off vehicle we already have.

Comment

Just got a new Focus and I love it so far. Got the financing online, so I just had to go to the dealer to pick out the car.

Comment

I didn't have any problems when I bought my last car. 6 years ago, my knackered Mazda had failed its state inspection test for the second time. Not wanting to sink more money into it, I decided that it had to go. I'd already decided on getting another Corolla. I'd had one before, and it was extremely reliable. Anyway, what was holding things up, was that I couldn't quite afford the monthly payments. All I *could* afford, was a tiny base-model Hyundai hatchback. Now Hyundais aren't bad cars...but I felt that it was too small. I mean, that thing was smaller than my MG

After some ranting at home, and lots of messing about with the finances, I came up with a plan. What I wanted to do, was cash in a CD I'd been holding. Put that towards about 90% of the car, trade in the Mazda, and finance the rest. I was told that I couldn't do that.

...or so I thought. Next day, my dad had talked to the guys at the Toyota dealership. At the time, they also sold Saturns there...and my family's had about 6-7 (SL, SL1, SL2, SCs, Vues, etc.) of those since their first in '97. Dad knew the sales manager, told him that I needed a new car, and he hooked me up. I didn't get what the Mazda was worth, since it failed its inspection, but I didn't care. Some other sucker could fix that heap. I was able to cash in the CD, finance the rest...and was laughing all the way to the bank. Turns out my monthly payment to own...came out *less* than to *lease* the car!

In that business, it's who you know to get the deals, especially if you're a repeat customer. Dealerships can't afford to be assholes--there are far too many competitors who will *gladly* take customers' money.

Comment

When I start looking for cars in the next few months I will go to one of the dealers in one of the surrounding towns. Here in town is too "big city" and the dealers know that they will hit their quotas with or without my sale (plus the sales tax is more in town).

I'll probably go to Wilson Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep again as they gave me a great deal on my pickup. Still wish Heller Chevy was still open as well (the other Heller sites - Ford and Pontiac) are still open and, I think, took a lot of the Chevy staff on. Any of the three are worth me driving the extra time for (and past ALL of the in town dealers).

Comment

Turns out my monthly payment to own...came out *less* than to *lease* the car!
                  Well, yes, it will be if you're paying a large part of the price up front.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                  X