People posting about vacaction on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People posting about vacaction on Facebook

So I have a friend on Facebook that has been on a 2-week long vacation to Hawaii. I'm not necessarily annoyed that she posts about it, because who wouldn't be excited?

But she posts a play-by-play of what she is doing at least twice a day. It justs makes me wonder....if you were REALLY enjoying it that much, what are you doing on Facebook all day? When I'm on vacation, I don't even THINK about it!

There's also the possibility that if someone on Facebook sees that you're away from your house for an extended period of time, that could increase your changes of your home getting broken into. I actually heard this on the news or something. Probably just a bunch of hype, but you never know!

Or maybe I'm just a jealous bitch, it just makes me roll my eyes a bit to see constant updates.

With smartphones, it's mad easy to keep people updated on Facebook. I really don't care how people spend their vacation. If you want to spend it using your phone on the beach, that's fine by me. But you're right about the possibility of getting broken into. It happened to my parents' neighbors, and even before Facebook existed, people were advised not to broadcast their vacation plans to every person they saw.

Comment

On the first, it could just be that she really, really wants to share what she's doing with her circle of friends. I know a lot of people who, when they're having fun, their first instinct is to share their fun times with their circle of friends. Whether she is doing that or just bragging depends on her personality.

As for the second; I purposely don't post much stuff while I'm actually away from the house and wait until I get back precisely because I don't want to alert people to the fact that I'm not there.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

The BEST time to talk about your vacation on Facebook is AFTER the vacation is over. You have no idea who's watching & waiting for some idiot to talk about being on vacation so they can break into your house & rob you blind.. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

I still send postcards :P

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
            I still send postcards :P
            Me too. The last couple of major trips I took were to foreign countries and I got back before the postcards got there.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I don't see anything odd about using Facebook on vacation. If you like to know what your friends and family are up to when you're at home, why wouldn't you want to know when you're away? And of course while you're on there you tell them what you're up to as well... or, you see something interesting and think "Soandso would love this!" and so let Soandso know about it.

As for burglars... would that not at least partially depend on your settings and who you accept as Friends? Nobody can see my posts I don't trust at least well enough to be sure they aren't going to do something like that.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

personally i'm just thinking... "so everyone knows your house is vacant right now."

As for burglars... would that not at least partially depend on your settings and who you accept as Friends? Nobody can see my posts I don't trust at least well enough to be sure they aren't going to do something like that.
                that's assuming people make the posts friends-only.

for a while mine was friends-only and then FB went and changed formats and some settings and mine fell back to public. but i've since changed it to friends-only again.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 01-22-2013, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Also, remember that while you can set your own account to friends-only, other people can comment on your status who might have their own settings as open to all.

And, yes, my first thought about vacation posts are also, "Hey, everybody, my house is empty and will be for days."

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                  X