Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies who cripple their products to force you to spend money

I saw this story this morning.

The basic summary is this: People are complaining because they bought an all in one printer/copier/scanner machine but apparently the machines are configured so they will not even SCAN if there's no ink in them. Scanning of course, requires no ink at all but apparently the printer companies (in this case HP, Epson and Canon) are trying to strongarm customers into buying more ink just so they can actually use their scanners.

This may be a recent development as I have an older all-in-one that WILL scan without ink in it.

There are other examples of this too. A couple of years ago there was an uproar in the video game community when Capcom "locked" Street Fighter IV DLC onto the disc. This meant they released the game, then a few months later they "released" the DLC which really meant they sold you a code to unlock the data that was ALREADY ON THE DISC YOU PAID FOR.

And yet another example in video games: Awhile back both Sony and Microsoft released firmware updates that bricked (made unusable) a certain number of consoles. The companies then turned right around and starting telling gamers they'd have to fork over $100 or more to these same companies to fix their consoles. They backed off after a huge consumer backlash but last I heard continued to give gamers a hard time about fixing consoles that they (the company) themselves had broken.

I really can't stand stuff like this. It's such a wrong and shady way to do business.

I had a similar issue with my all-in-one, only I wanted to send a fax, and it was out of a specific color of ink. I ended up having to drive to a UPS store to get it done, because it was so time-sensitive I couldn't waste my time going an extra several miles to a Staples, find the exact ink cartridge model that will fit in my printer, and put it in hoping it will work.

DRM falls into this category... after all, how crazy is it to be expected to buy software all over again just because you got a new device?

I remember the bricking stuff with consoles, but I only remembered Sony doing it. They've had quite a track record of fucking people over.

Comment

The only thing I can think of with Microsoft would be when they renamed the RROD to something else to get away from warranty repairs on newer systems still suffering that same fate.

But the printer at work, printer only not all in one also suffers from the will not print from the black cartrige if the yellow is empty.

Comment

Apparently, you have to hook the all-in-one to your computer and use the computer-based control panel to get around the no-ink dilemma.

It's still stupid, and the ink issues are most of the reason I don't plan to ever own an inkjet anything.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I believe laser printers do the same thing.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedclerkthe2nd View Post
            And yet another example in video games: Awhile back both Sony and Microsoft released firmware updates that bricked (made unusable) a certain number of consoles. The companies then turned right around and starting telling gamers they'd have to fork over $100 or more to these same companies to fix their consoles. They backed off after a huge consumer backlash but last I heard continued to give gamers a hard time about fixing consoles that they (the company) themselves had broken.
            This is why I will never own another ipod, one of apple's firmware updates bricked my, still working perfectly fine 3rd gen ipod, and when I called them to find out what to do, they offered me 10% off a new one, because mine "wasn't working"(this was when a new one would've cost over $300, and the one I had was a little over a year old and was around $300), found out later the update was pushed to get the third gens out of service because the battery didn't fail as quickly, so they couldn't charge $60 every year or two for a replacement.
            Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

As far as the video games go, Capcom did the same damn thing with Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Capcom has really been pissing me off lately - shame, since they used to be one of my favorite game developers -_-

Comment

Did what "same damn thing" with MvC3?

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Whoops, I meant to quote the first post. My bad. They did the locked DLC thing that the OP mentioned in Street Fighter IV also in Marvel vs. Capcom 3. The first DLC pack was already on the disc and they just waited a few months to allow people to unlock it, unless you preordered it.

Comment

Don't forget the MVC3/UMvC3 fiasco. Or what they did with Asura's Wrath, Or Resident Evil for the 3Ds, etc.

Capcom has had a long list lately of them essentially earning their nickname "Crapcom".

Comment

I went through the same sort of thing with my cell phone provider. Once I had a phone that was capable of custom ringtones, I became interested, but couldn't justify spending the money that the company was charging for them. So I found out how to make my own. I couldn't figure out how to get them on my phone, so I emailed them from my computer to my phone. It worked quite well.

When that phone died and had to be replaced, I found out that the new phone wouldn't let me do that. Actually, it still let me email the files, it just wouldn't let me make just any sound clip a ringtone. I looked up the model, and found out that it was capable of transferring ringtones and certain other files. Naturally, my provider didn't include the software or the cables. I ordered a cable and obtained the software, only to find out that the provider had disabled this particular functionality. To say I was highly pissed off was an understatement, and I fired of an angry email to them. I don't think I ever got a reply back.

Fortunately, I found some free software that allowed you to transfer files, even if the feature was disabled. It was kind of hit and miss -- it wasn't able to detect the exact model I had -- but I was able to get it to work. Most people would have given up at this point and just purchased the ringtones, but I come from a long line of stubborn males.

Apparently the provider gave up after that, because when I had to replace that phone, I didn't have to jump thru all these ridiculous hoops. Not only did they provide the USB cable, but I was able to transfer stuff to and from the phone without any special software. The computer basically recognized the phone as another hard drive. Hopefully when I have to replace this phone, I won't find out that the provider turned stupid again.
                      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        This is why I will never own another ipod, one of apple's firmware updates bricked my, still working perfectly fine 3rd gen ipod, and when I called them to find out what to do, they offered me 10% off a new one, because mine "wasn't working"(this was when a new one would've cost over $300, and the one I had was a little over a year old and was around $300),
                        I'll never own another iPod either. Mainly because my 1st gen is still working fine, but also because of how I was treated at the crApple store when I had issues with it. For whatever reason, a few days after the warranty ran out, it quit working. They told me I'd have to buy another one (remember, they were massively expensive when they first came out) and refused to even look at it.

Balls to that. I'd been given it, and I wasn't about to drop several hundred bucks on another! Did a little searching online, and soon had the cover off. Turns out, the drive connector had come loose. Popped the connector back on to the drive (a Toshiba part, BTW), and I was back in business. After it happened the second time, I filed a slot into the cover for easier removal.

found out later the update was pushed to get the third gens out of service because the battery didn't fail as quickly, so they couldn't charge $60 every year or two for a replacement.
                        Pardon my French, but how the fuck is that even legal? They purposely fuck up your product so you're forced to buy another one?

Comment

Originally posted by protege View Post
                          Pardon my French, but how the fuck is that even legal? They purposely fuck up your product so you're forced to buy another one?
                          We have a saying in Germany: "Wo kein Kläger, da kein Richter." Loosely translated, it means "Without a plaintiff, there'll be no judge." In this case, someone would first have to find proof that Apple actually intended this, and then file suit. In court. Against Apple. I think they have a lawyer on payroll somewhere...
                          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

found out later the update was pushed to get the third gens out of service because the battery didn't fail as quickly, so they couldn't charge $60 every year or two for a replacement.
                            Do you happen to have any sort of legitimate source for that information? Because it doesn't exactly either sound likely or fit with my experiences. (Is the 3rd Generation you mean the one with the touch wheel and a separate row of buttons between that and the screen, or is it the 3rd generation of a different line?)
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              Do you happen to have any sort of legitimate source for that information? Because it doesn't exactly either sound likely or fit with my experiences. (Is the 3rd Generation you mean the one with the touch wheel and a separate row of buttons between that and the screen, or is it the 3rd generation of a different line?)
                              Hm, I have an original ipod mini, and a 3d gen nano and both are working absolutely fine, I got the nano when I thought I had lost the mini, but I found the mini so now I load the mini with audio books and the nano with music. Neither of them have been bricked by software.

Comment

Working...
                              X