Not understanding the concept of 'being offended'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not understanding the concept of 'being offended'

I hate when people say that the only reason I get offended is because they "Challenged my beliefs."

Calling me an idiot because I'm Christian doesn't challenge my beliefs. Calling me disgusting because I'm gay doesn't challenge my beliefs. Saying that women are as stupid as cattle doesn't challenge my beliefs.

My beliefs being challenged does not offend me. In fact, it intrigues me. I enjoy my beliefs being challenged. But the only thing that insulting me, or other people, does that challenges my 'beliefs' is that it challenges my belief that specifically the person I am talking to is not an unrepentant asshole.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Exactly and amen!

(Not far removed are those who seem to believe that phrasing something in the most mocking, dismissive, and/or disgusting manner they can manage counts as an argument against it.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Here Here! I agree with both statements.

Comment

What I love is when they tell you that you're just offended by the truth, otherwise you wouldn't get so mad and defensive. Even if there was truth to what they were saying, I would be justified in being mad because what they're doing is the emotional equivelent of punching me in the balls.

Comment

Its actually a big problem in today's society. To many people dont know what a debate is for. Insulting someone in no way challenges a belief.

An argument and a fight are not even close to the same thing. Lawyers make arguments (perhaps not the best example) in court. That is to say they are presenting facts or opinions on the issues at hand in an attempt to sway a jury or judge that they are or correct or attempting to cast reasonable doubt. While it might be more fun to watch them beating each other with nerf bats gladiator style, that wont really help a case.

Once an opponent in an argument starts resorting to calling someone a 'poopy head' that pretty much ends the argument and its time to walk away in case the stupid is contagious.

Comment

^That's what I said to somebody on another forum after they came at me with personal insults instead of any kind of actual argument.

Basically, if you have to resort to personal attacks and putdowns as arguments, it means one of a few things- You have little faith in your argument, and think it needs the added slap of a personal attack to make it stick. Or perhaps you have nothing and you know it, so you resort to slinging mud as a smokescreen, to try and cover that up.

Comment

...or you're so offended by the mere notion that someone disagrees with you that you take it as a personal insult and respond in kind, rather than in anything resembling a rational manner, whether you have good reason to hold the position you do or not.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

^Yup, that!

Comment

Working...
                X