Some online teachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some online teachers

Like this one for my online government class. I questioned a couple of things that seemed odd to me, and he took issue with that.
    1. I questioned why quizzes were only open for one day and one day only, when the purpose of online classes is to be flexible in non-traditional students schedules (i.e. allow for weekend work, etc). All of his course work falls to be completed and due on the weekdays, and amazingly enough, on days that I'm actually fairly busy.
    2. I questioned the format of the "Discussion Question". The question itself seemed contradictory (I even showed it to other people to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding it) and not having to do much with the Chapter at hand.
    It was so loaded and worded in such away that it totally threw me. In my response I commented on the lack of quantifiable data presented in the first chapter in relation to the question. So maybe I over thought it a bit.

So instead of addressing my questions and maybe clarifying the discussion question, I get a response from him saying that I've been uncivil (maybe I was a little snarky at one point, but far from uncivil) and that if I complain one more time I'll be dropped from the class.
    Wow, yeah. I'm guessing I'll be taking this class over again next semester.
    I've questioned other online teachers before and have never gotten such a combative response. I really don't think he wants to be teaching online classes. He's not approachable at all.

Questioning his authority = uncivil.

I wonder what his reasoning is for having the tests open only for one day. That sounds inconvenient for the sake of being inconvenient.

Comment

He didn't tell me, and made it sound like I was in the wrong for even asking. This all started last Tuesday night what I went to take the quiz only to not find it. double checked the sysabus, yep due that day. So it should have been open, but it was nowhere to be found. It being later in the day (and not at home, on Tuesday's I do homework at game store then chill with people), I did a couple others things for other classes then clicked the laptop shut and let it go. I swear, it was not there.i got irritated looking for it.
      Next day (inbetween phone calls at work) I shot him an email saying for some reason I was unable to access the quiz the previous night, was there a possible error in the system on his end? I got a back a snarky reply referencing his "orientation discussion board post". So I contacted tech support, and during the course of that exchange I vented a bit about the lack of consistency between online classes. Some leave all quizzes open from day, to allow students to work ahead. I wondered if perhaps there should be a minimum amount of days allowed for quizzes, since online classes are intended for non-traditional students.

Comment

Heres some resolution. I one into the online site today after lunch to find a notice in big, bold letter dying that the Quiz 1 would be reopened because Tech Support decided that there was a technical error that caused a number of people NOT to see the quiz.

Comment

So, the technology screwed up, but your teacher blew you off without even investigating it because he's a self-important douchebag.

At least you know to avoid the hell out of him in the future.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I just realized how many auto correct errors that last post had. Oops. I need to stop visiting with my iPad,

Comment

Thing is, technical problems happen all the time, and they have to be able to adjust for them to some extent. Why the instructor decided to get nasty about it, I have no idea.

I was scared half to death my final exam would be rejected one semester because, while the start time was flexible, once downloaded it had to be back in the online dropbox within two hours and the instructions clearly said no excuses whatsoever would be accepted. I finished in a little over one hour, only to find the site wouldn't let me log in. Tried two browsers each in OSX and Windows; tried a different computer entirely; went to McDonald's and Chick-fil-A to try their connections; nothing. Went home, did other things while checking every fifteen minutes or so, and it finally let me in hours later. I attached an explanation, including what I'd done to ensure the problem was not at my end, and apparently they accepted it (and of course they would, because there would be a record *somewhere* of the system being down and surely *someone* else would have had the same problem) but the time between the deadline passing and finding out I'd gotten credit was nerve-wracking.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                Thing is, technical problems happen all the time, and they have to be able to adjust for them to some extent. Why the instructor decided to get nasty about it, I have no idea.

I was scared half to death my final exam would be rejected one semester because, while the start time was flexible, once downloaded it had to be back in the online dropbox within two hours and the instructions clearly said no excuses whatsoever would be accepted.
                In other words, if the power goes out for the whole east coast 1/4 hour after you download the exam, it's your fault, and you fail?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  In other words, if the power goes out for the whole east coast 1/4 hour after you download the exam, it's your fault, and you fail?
                  Tangent: Y'know, talk about the entire Eastern Seaboard's power failing is one of the many reasons I'm glad I live in California. I have yet to be involved in a power outage that involved more than three blocks in any direction - the power grid here is sectioned and insulated against stresses from other grid sections. It's got other problems, sure, but I don't ever worry that the entire state (or even the entire county) would go dark.

Comment

Not to derail, but wasn't there a major one last year? From San Diego, well into Arizona?

I guess that's this guys philosophy too. There's been blackouts here that have affected multiple counties.One started in the afternoon, and lasted until late at night. I'm guessing this teacher would have said something like, "Well, you should have planned for it."or "Well, you shouldn't have waited till the last minute to take the test."

Comment

One of my best friends rants about his online teachers constantly. They either never answer questions, or take a few weeks to do it, don't get the quizzes/exams opened on time, or fail to provide other needed information.
                      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by violiav View Post
                        Not to derail, but wasn't there a major one last year? From San Diego, well into Arizona?
                        Year before last, but yes, it hit San Deigo, Yuma, AZ, and down into Mexico, which is on the US power grid. And it actually happened in Arizona, not the other way around; it's just that there are more people to be affected in San Diego.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                          Tangent: Y'know, talk about the entire Eastern Seaboard's power failing is one of the many reasons I'm glad I live in California. I have yet to be involved in a power outage that involved more than three blocks in any direction - the power grid here is sectioned and insulated against stresses from other grid sections. It's got other problems, sure, but I don't ever worry that the entire state (or even the entire county) would go dark.
                          Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't California get plagued with rolling blackouts in the early 2000s for a while? If my memory serves to remind me, it was somehow linked with the Enron scandal.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
                            Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't California get plagued with rolling blackouts in the early 2000s for a while? If my memory serves to remind me, it was somehow linked with the Enron scandal.
                            From my experience: We were threatened with rolling blackouts (that is, turning off part of the grid to lower the overall energy use), but what ended up happening instead was exorbitant fee charges. There may have been some rolling blackouts anyway, but not anywhere that I was - my home power was never interrupted, my employer never had power interrupted, and I don't know anyone who suffered planned outages.

And all of that is irrelevant in comparison to having the entire Eastern Seaboard being brought down because of a hurricane/transformer blowout/*insert problem here*. Everyone losing power for an indefinite period of time is very different from PLANNING to turn off the lights for different six-block regions for a few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                              Well, no. But if they don't say they won't accept technical excuses, they'd have no end of excuses from people who didn't much try.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X