Certain Typing Habits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certain Typing Habits

This isn't directed at any one poster here, but it's something I see here that just makes me twitch everytime I see it.

When people type like this??? and use multiple question marks??? for emphasis??? every few sentences ???

Just...makes me...twitch. >.< In my personal little dantes circle of abuses of the english language, it ranks as just barely better than useing "u" and "r" when you mean you and are.

Just...*twitch*

Again, not targeting anyone specific, just a little thing that gets under my skin.

I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've done that, and it's usually under extreme circumstances, like talking down to a 12 year old who him/herself uses 10 question marks during some inane argument.

As some of you may have already picked up on, I tend to use italics a lot when emphasizing words, but I've sort of been trying to cut down on that, and only do so when it's truly necessary.

Comment

It takes too much effort to do multiple question marks. Well, not really, if I'm on the computer. I am guilty with multiple exclamation points at times. But thats typically when im excited about something.

Comment

I do it myself once in awhile, but very rarely, and when I'm expressing disbelief. In fact, just a few minutes ago, I banned a spammer who had posted 28 messages of the same bullshit. He probably won't see the ban reason, but if he does, it asks, "Are you fucking kidding me???"
        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

There is a time and a place for it. Generally speaking I only tend to use multiple punctuation when there is a reason. Something I'm trying to convey in text that is usually best read from tone and facial expression.

So as MadMike put it..."Are you fucking kidding me???" fits as it's a way of trying to express total disbelief. One could add to that a "?!?!?" which indicates not only disbelief, but surprise and/or anger (or other strong declarative emotion).

But yes, the people who can't ask a question on Yahoo Answers without a bazillion and one question marks is annoying.
          “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

It's punctuation spamming, and it's pretty much the same as ellipsis spamming or smiley abuse. People who do it should be forced to wear thick woolen mittens - the kind where you only have one pocket for the fingers, not separate fingers - for a month.

Comment

I do it and unless I get a message from a mod saying to stop, I won't.

It is so easy to take what we say out of context when we post in a forum like this or even in texting between people. Punctuation, bolds, underlines, italics, anything to show stress and/or emphasis is vital. We speak with emotion. Our writings should do the same.

I will say, however, that people that abuse it to be funny like alternating exclamation points, number ones, and even the word one need to be stopped.
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

I use bold, italics, and brief usage of all-caps words in order to make emphasis, as you say, in order to provide a visual representation of my choice of inflection and word stress. Punctuation spamming, too, can be acceptable if it's brief and occasional. But when someone's ending every sentence with a barrage of question marks or exclamation points, it's spamming.

Comment

I pretty much agree with Neko. There are other ways to put emphasis into ones question--while it doesn't much bother me if its done, say, once or thereabouts in an argument, or just not abused to hell, the sheer amount I see it, here and elsewhere, gets me twitchy.

Comment

Working...
                  X