"Share this on Facebook!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Share this on Facebook!"

Though I doubt their efficacy, I'll sign online petitions if it's something I agree with and am well informed enough (outside of the information supplied by whoever is circulation the petition) to have a meaningful opinion. But the next thing is always "Email your friends and share this on Facebook!" No, thanks. I *like* my friends and want to keep them, and as most of them have very different political views than myself, they're not going to sign it anyway.

Games. Especially, but not limited to, smartphone-type games. Good score in Pinball Arcade? The game wants to put it on my Facebook. I like your game, and I understand you like free advertising, but my friends and family are much more likely to wonder what I was doing playing games at that hour in the first place than to be interested in how I did, and most likely won't want to see either one.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

This is a "double-edged sword" thing. Companies put Facebook integration into their games because a large number of people want to have their every waking moment their accomplishments broadcast to their friends. They're trying to give the players a functionality that quite a large number of people want.

It IS a shame that they don't let you change a setting and just turn it off altogether, though.

Comment

Another annoying thing is how on Facebook games, they constantly force you to let them post on your wall without having to ask you. I just want to play games. I don't want to force everyone to know that my tomatoes are blue level or that I just grew some corn.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
        Another annoying thing is how on Facebook games, they constantly force you to let them post on your wall without having to ask you. I just want to play games. I don't want to force everyone to know that my tomatoes are blue level or that I just grew some corn.
        My criteria (well, one of them) for games that I'll consider playing on Facebook is that if it asks for the right to post on its own without any action from me, I say no. If it demands to do that, then I just don't play. And when I get to the "Who sees this" part of posts, I almost always turn it to, "Only me."

I don't need to spam my friends with the games I'm playing. It's just not necessary, regardless of whether they're playing them too.

Comment

I thought Facebook made changes a while ago that ended those Farmville and other wall posts. I haven't see someone's Farmville update in quite a while.

Comment

It's pretty easy to give them permission to post so they'll load the app, then go into settings and revoke the permission, making the app have to ask.

Otherwise, those wall posts are as annoying as ever, but they've made it so that people who don't care can hide anything and everything from an entire app with a single action, so that helps a ton with game spam.

Unfortunately, it doesn't help at all if you have friends who don't have any ability to refrain from spamming everybody they know with played-out image macros. >_<

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
              I thought Facebook made changes a while ago that ended those Farmville and other wall posts. I haven't see someone's Farmville update in quite a while.
              There's quite a few missions in Farmville that you can't finish with posting stuff on your wall (Unless you buy cash to skip it).
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                There's quite a few missions in Farmville that you can't finish with posting stuff on your wall (Unless you buy cash to skip it).
                This sort of bullshit is why I refuse to have anything to do with 99.9% of anything Zynga-related. They bought out some puzzle game that I play, however, which is why it's not 100%.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I covered that on my blog once.

http://mongosmusings.blogspot.com/20...acktivism.html

Basically I compared the slacktivism that is running rampant on FB to masturbation.
                  “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

The thing I really hate is when these "Show your support and share this on facebook" pics come complete with emotional blackmail. "Most of you will think you're too cool to repost this".."Post this if you care about whatever, if you don't post this then you're a mean person/uncompassionate/whatever!"

Comment

I refuse to have anything to do with any emotional blackmail macro crap.

I saw one recently that was anti-bullying... and included a socially bullying message about how only x% would pass it on.

^-.-^

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                        I refuse to have anything to do with any emotional blackmail macro crap.

I saw one recently that was anti-bullying... and included a socially bullying message about how only x% would pass it on.

^-.-^
                        Cheap guilt trips are a sure fire way to alienate people. Some people will support things through guilt trips, but once they see through it, they'll not.

What I despise about the facebook thing is that it's everywhere. Some websites will have intrusive popups telling you to like them on facebook. Yeah great way to tell people to like you.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
                          The thing I really hate is when these "Show your support and share this on facebook" pics come complete with emotional blackmail. "Most of you will think you're too cool to repost this".."Post this if you care about whatever, if you don't post this then you're a mean person/uncompassionate/whatever!"
                          I've taken to editing those. Big red X over the blackmail part, "share if you happen to feel like it" squeezed in beside, if the underlying message is worth passing in that form at all.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Amanita View Post
                            Those show up in my feed 10,000 times a day. All of them get ignored. If I support whatever's being passed around, the people who really know me will already know how I feel.

Exceptions to this rule are made if I'm posting a status that said cause is having an event, and friends are welcome to join me--and I never guilt-trip anyone into joining me. I just throw in, "it's for a good cause!", which charity is receiving the proceeds from the event, or something to that effect in addition to time and date. Then people can make their own decision whether to attend, free of any emotional bondage.

Comment

I've noticed an increase of "If this gets 1,000,000 likes..." I never "like" any of those because it sounds to me like whoring for likes.

Comment

Working...
                              X