I think I'm going back to Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I'm going back to Afghanistan

I can't believe I'm even considering it, but I think I'm going to go back. I fucking hate that shitty country, but waiting for my new job to start is taking too long so my company offered to send me to Afghanistan to do some work in the mean time. I'll have health insurance again, I'll make really good money. I'll be working so my period of unemployment on my resume will end.

It's basically just one month at a special location to make sure I'm qualified to do the job then three months in Afghanistan, which isn't too long. But God do I hate that country.

Not really a debate, unless anyone has something they want to pick at, but I needed a place to vent and Fratching is the best place.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Well, when people say stuff like "I'm going to Seattle and I hate it" or "I'm going to Miami and I hate it" I usually would ask, "What do you hate so much about it?"

In this case, though... I think I kinda get an idea.

Stay safe.

Comment

Ive considered re-enlisting man. You do what you have to and sometimes its what you want to. Thats the world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
        Ive considered re-enlisting man. You do what you have to and sometimes its what you want to. Thats the world we live in.
        I just feel like I have nothing else. My company has me lined up for a contract in Virginia, but the company that had the contract appealed the loss and it's taking forever. I applied for toxicology jobs and while it's the exact same techniques, I don't have valid job experience since I analyzed explosives instead of drugs. It's total bullshit. I mean, I apply for jobs that only want a year of experience and I'm sure they mean 40 hour work week jobs. I worked 84 hours a damn week for a year doing the exact same techniques, I helped build a lab from scratch, I helped set up the instruments. I have a shit ton more experience than most 24 year olds. I just have no other options anymore.

I don't even care if I get sent to a dangerous base anymore. I just don't give a fuck anymore period.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I'm sorry things are going badly.

It *almost* seems like it wouldn't be a bad pattern, were it dependable: go somewhere you hate for a while to work, make enough to coast a while when you get home, repeat.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            I'm sorry things are going badly.

It *almost* seems like it wouldn't be a bad pattern, were it dependable: go somewhere you hate for a while to work, make enough to coast a while when you get home, repeat.
            What sucks about the last time I went is that I had all those student loans to pay off. I was making awesome money, but every month, my money was going towards my student loans. Went on a month long vacation in New Zealand, partied my ass off, got a brand new car. But it's been boring as hell since. I bowl competitively but I'm miss being with people partying. Auckland was awesome for that. I figured if I get my old pay rate, I'll get about 19 vacation days when I'm done. Instead of them flying me home, my company can fly me wherever I want and I'll find my own way home. Just gotta think of where. Tokyo, Stockholm, Prague, somewhere in Germany. It's a tough choice.

The only problem then is...then what? I'll be back in the US doing jack squat.

Comment

Have you considered looking for work outside of the US?

It might be a lot harder to do, but it also might be more productive than sitting around waiting for court cases to percolate through the system so that you can be allowed to be offered the job that you've pretty much already been given but aren't allowed to work.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Heck, if you are going to be stuck going back to Afghanistan, ever consider joining the military as an officer candidate? Or are you disqualified for some reason or another? If you are going to be stuck heading into dangerous situations you might as well get full medical, permanent work [and I might add that 20 years half pay retirement as an officer can be some serious money. Enlisted not so, per se. Rob only gets 1200 a month or so retirement pay but he is also 49 and gets his retirement pay *now* and not at 65 or whenever, so it is a nice addition to the income.]

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                  Have you considered looking for work outside of the US?

It might be a lot harder to do, but it also might be more productive than sitting around waiting for court cases to percolate through the system so that you can be allowed to be offered the job that you've pretty much already been given but aren't allowed to work.

^-.-^
                  There's no shortage of work for forensic chemists. There's just a limit of funding. And since the federal government and state governments are so short on money these days, there's no extra funds being given out to pay new scientists. There's backlogs of work to be done all over the country. They just can't afford to hire new people.

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post
                  Heck, if you are going to be stuck going back to Afghanistan, ever consider joining the military as an officer candidate? Or are you disqualified for some reason or another? If you are going to be stuck heading into dangerous situations you might as well get full medical, permanent work [and I might add that 20 years half pay retirement as an officer can be some serious money. Enlisted not so, per se. Rob only gets 1200 a month or so retirement pay but he is also 49 and gets his retirement pay *now* and not at 65 or whenever, so it is a nice addition to the income.]
                  I've thought about it. But I want to do chemistry and I can't do that in the military. Also, I could never send anyone to their deaths if need be.

Comment

Hey, if you can do toxicology, there are jobs in Europe thanks to REACH. Chemical consulting companies make a killing assisting chemical companies in registering their products. You might want to look into that.
                    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

My former roommate was about ready to go back too. Her last contract ended about a year ago and she came back home to spend time with her newborn granddaughter. She struggled to find a job here that paid what she needed/deserved (She's a helicopter pilot and mechanic, I believe) and was ready to sign up again. Somehow, a completely different and unrelated job landed in her lap and she decided to stay.
                      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                      X