Guess what I hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess what I hate?

This is becoming a trend that I'm seeing in my children and in a lot of the people I deal with in my day-to-day work.

People who want me to guess whatever is on their mind. Whether that be something they are thinking about, something they purchased or acquired, something that they found interesting, or something that happened to them.

And will not take "I dunno" for an answer.

Them - "Guess what I bought online today?"
    Me - "Dunno...whatcha get?"
    Them - "No, guess"
    Me - "Not a clue. What?"
    Them - "Come on! Guess!"
    Me - "I don't know. What? How about a clue?"
    Them - "No hints. Just guess."

I swear I have this conversation one more time I'm going to start guessing the first thing that comes to mind.

A moss-covered, three-handled family credenza?
    A left handed smoke grinder?
    The Loch Ness Monster's missing wallet?
    Satan's AMEX Card?
    Jimmy Hoffa?
    Hitler's brain kept alive in a jar?
    The Ultra-Pleasure Vibe Butt Knobbler Three-Thousand?

I'm saving that last one for my adult children. I figure saying that one in public will embarrass the hell out of them and make them stop playing that stupid game.

I remember doing the whole "Guess what I found?" bit as a conversation opener. I'd say "Guess", they'd say "What?" and then I roll into the description of whatever it was that I wanted to talk about.
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

I tend to answer that question, once my brain kicks in that is, with Jim Bob Furley Bob's diapers for grown men(or women if the asker is female). Tends to get them to NEVER get me to try to guess again.

Comment

I don't know why, but Satan's AMEX card especially made me laugh.

I admit, I'm sometimes guilty of doing this, but it's often with a friend who actually likes those kinds of games. We usually spend 5 minutes with him coming up with elaborate guesses.

Comment

Typically when I do it it's only when I know I've been talking to said person (recently) about said thing that I got - or it's something that I had been talking about a lot.

Even then, if they say "I dunno, what?" I'll give a hint and if after one hint they don't get it I'll just tell them what I got.

I really don't like it when people try to force other people to guess with absolutely no clue and refuse to tell them. The person must guess.

Comment

It IS a mean thing to insist on playing that game with someone who doesn't want to... but if those really are, as you claim, the first things that come to your mind, you have problems
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I'm with the "Oh you finally got that dildo you've had your eyes on" type answers too if I had to guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
              I'm with the "Oh you finally got that dildo you've had your eyes on" type answers too if I had to guess.
              I usually go with something so off the wall that they end up telling me, after getting the picture of said item out of their head first
              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Well, you know what they say: If you answer "anal beads" to a question enough times, people will stop asking you that question.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
                  Well, you know what they say: If you answer "anal beads" to a question enough times, people will stop asking you that question.
                  Or perhaps start asking questions to which that makes a good answer.
                  "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Considering such questions are very similar in form to "What have I got in my pocket?", I'd be tempted to answer "The ONE RING".

Comment

Working...
                    X