Bet you can't think of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bet you can't think of...

Is anyone else getting honked off at all the "Bet you can't think of..." memes on FB lately?

Just had one hit my wall. "Bet you can't think of a fish that doesn't have a latter A in the name."

For fuck's sake...Pike, Cod, Trout rolled off my mind in an instant. Followed by the names of most of the fish in my aquarium.

Reallifecomics.com covered it in today's comic. But the question posed is valid. Are these people that stupid that they can't do it themselves, or do they think they're so gorram smart that they want to lord over us with their hyper-advanced brains?
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

I got one from someone I *know* is smart asking for cities and towns in Georgia with no A. Now, I admit that all the ones people elsewhere are likely to know about (Atlanta, Macon, Savannah, etc) have at least one, but not only are there plenty that don't have an A, but one of them is our mutual hometown!

Now, it can be a fun sort of game to play now and then, but the distance between those occasions needs to be weeks, not hours.

I suppose part of it is to trick someone into rattling off a list that includes something that doesn't qualify. For example, "Rome, Tifton, Jefferson, Lumber City, Pendergrass, Winder, Dublin..."
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Someone posted a rant about this on Facebook. The question was "Bet you can't name a movie without an 's'" in it and he came up with dozens of names and said it was such a stupid question. Then he said, "The real challenge is to name a movie without a vowel."

I commented, "JFK"

He conceded and said, "Alright, smartypants. What about a movie without a letter?"

I answered, "21."

At that point he shut up.

Comment

One time, I wish I could remember what the category was, but it was one of these. Name a something that doesn't have the letter whatever in it. It actually took me three tries to name a something WITH that letter in it.

It's not that hard, usually you just roll with it. The first time I was thinking of when Homer Simpson was trying to write a food critic newspaper piece on a typewriter without an e. "Restaurant Review-- no. Eatery Evaluation-- no... Food box. By Homer-- no, Earl-- no, Bill Simpson." Just keep rolling. Even a kwyjibo can do it.
        "So, my little Zillians... Have your fun, as long as I let you have fun... but don't forget who is the boss!"
        We are contented, because he says we are
        He really meant it when he says we've come so far

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
          Just had one hit my wall. "Bet you can't think of a fish that doesn't have a latter A in the name."
          Some of the people who keep posting such questions despite being told they're unwelcome are ignorami who don't care that they're pissing people off. Others simply have selective Herring.

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          I got one from someone I *know* is smart asking for cities and towns in Georgia with no A.
          He's the sort who'd think that Minnesota was the only state with a Duluth.

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
          Someone posted a rant about this on Facebook. The question was "Bet you can't name a movie without an 's'" in it
          Obviously the questioner had never heard of the classics "From Here to Eternity", "The Wizard of Oz", or "The Godfather".

Comment

These are so dumb. I've seen the 'name a band without the letter 'B', bet you can't!' one the most. Seriously?

Maroon 5
            Plain White T's
            F.U.N.
            The Tokens
            The Supremes
            AC/DC
            Guns 'n Roses

It's not hard.
            A.K.A. ShinyGreenApple

Comment

I absolutely love it when they go "It's harder than you think!"

No. It's not. The Earth is huge, there are BILLIONS of people on it, and MANY places to go to and MANY things to see. There are going to be names of things that lack a particular letter. *headdesk*

Comment

Originally posted by AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                I absolutely love it when they go "It's harder than you think!"
                If those people honestly think that then I weep for the species.

Either that or we need to start chlorinating the gene pool again.
                “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I'm getting tired of this. So tired in fact, I posted on my wall, "Name a U.S. not containing the letter 'X'" as sort of a tongue in cheek reaction to this.

And movies? The first two movies I thought of fulfilled that requirement. Back to the Future and The Room.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                    I'm getting tired of this. So tired in fact, I posted on my wall, "Name a U.S. not containing the letter 'X'" as sort of a tongue in cheek reaction to this.
                    One that I actually ran into (couple years ago, forgot where I saw it) asked a question that nobody from West Virginia would get right.

Q: What is the only state in the U.S. whose name consists of 2 words, neither of which is "North", "South", or "New"?

A: Rhode Island.

Of course, the question itself was in error, and I'm not poking fun at Mountaineers - their natural reaction would be to answer "West Virginia", which ALSO fits the criteria.

Comment

Working...
                    X