Finding a Wool Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Wool Suit

I don't know if the gentlemen here have as hard a time, but I sure as hades am.

I just got promoted at work and want to dress more appropriately. Most workers dress very casually, but they're also the Tech crew. My work falls more towards the Business side, and I deal with the CEO and VPs regularly.

But it seems like I'd have to go to a very high end shop or get something custom made to get a suit that is NOT polyester or rayon. And don't even get me started on how many places charge extra for tailoring.

I'll probably have to dress shabbiliy until I can scrape the dosh for something currently well outside my price range.
    I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Why not synthetics?
    I have to admit I am not a suit wearer myself and would have to buy one when I start job interviews (or should that be if?) but even the ones in Tesco's (A UK supermarket) didn't look too bad and would come out around £60 or so.

Comment

I have synthetic suits, and they look as cheap as they are. Wool hangs differently and looks better.
      I have a drawing of an orange, which proves I am a semi-tangible collection of pixels forming a somewhat coherent image manifested from the intoxicated mind of a madman. Naturally.

Comment

I've never heard of supermarkets selling suits before.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The big UK stores do if their clothing section is big enough. They're not wedding material but usually are okay for work.

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
            The big UK stores do if their clothing section is big enough. They're not wedding material but usually are okay for work.
            Didn't check the sainsbury's one, but Tesco's near my old job had a huge selection of clothing, suits don't look too bad for the money, but I don't wear clothes all that well, hence why I spend most of my time in £3 jeans and a Tshirt.

As for weddings, the guy who ran Top man/Shop a few years ago did a Ratners and said all their suits were sold to offenders for their day in court.

Comment

Where do you live? and what gender are you?
              "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
              ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

New York, Female.

The Female is the part that's causing the problems. Most shops have a VERY different idea of what's Office Appropriate for a woman than I do.

There are places that do custom work, but then you're talking $800+ for a jacket and skirt.

Comment

this may sound strange, but have you thought of getting a cheaper men's suit big enough to cover how you like, and then having it tailored to fit your female figure? usually some strategic sewing can alter it enough to fit properly.
                  All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

I'm not sure that's even possible. At least not without some severe costs. I don't exactly have a boyish figure, and men's suits are cut for male bodies.

Comment

Since you live in NY there shouldn't be a problem finding nice suits for a reasonable price. Years ago when I worked in an office I had to wear suits. The best place I found was Sears believe it or not. They usually had good sales.

You could try Kohls, JC Penney, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Lord and Taylors, Loehmans or even Ann Taylor. There are more stores but I can't think of any more right now.

By the way I live in NY also.

Edited to add:

I thought of a couple of other places. You could try Burlington Coat factory, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. They have name brands but for less then you would pay in a high end department store.

The other thing you could do is get a bunch of skirts or pants that flatter your figure and then buy the suit jackets separately. You could then mix and match. The suit jackets then could be tailored and wouldn't cost as much as a whole suit.

Besides isn't wool itchy? I know I would be one big rash if I wore a wool suit.
                      Last edited by CaptainJaneway; 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM. Reason: Spelling and a few more ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJaneway View Post

Besides isn't wool itchy? I know I would be one big rash if I wore a wool suit.
                        Depends, a fine wool suit is amazingly soft, not like grandmas chunky sweaters
                        I am a sexy shoeless god of war!
                        Minus the sexy and I'm wearing shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainJaneway View Post

I thought of a couple of other places. You could try Burlington Coat factory, TJ Maxx and Marshalls. They have name brands but for less then you would pay in a high end department store.
                          Have you checked the labels recently? Brand names use polyester and rayon and such as often as Wal Mart. Only difference is they can charge more for it.

Comment

Working...
                          X