Overly Sarcastic People.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overly Sarcastic People.

I'm sure we've all met these people. The ones who can't answer a question without making a sarcastic comment. Like say you wanted to know the name of an actor in a movie. Most people would just tell you if they know, but these assholes have to make some comment about how you're too lazy to look up IMDB to find the answer for yourself. And they act like they are the most clever, witty person on the planet for coming up with such a comeback to someone who had the audacity to ask a simple question. And then they act like you're the uptight one for getting rightfully annoyed at them.

Not that sarcasm is bad per say, but when it's peoples defining trait, they come across as real assholes.

I think you mean dry or snarky.

A couple of my coworkers are almost sarcastic to a deathly rate, and even the more simple minded ones can get it. It's when they get really dry or snarky with people, that it's irritating.

Comment

Yeah snarky is the better word for this. Generally, the people who talk to everyone like they're a total idiot tend to get under my skin.

Comment

The flip to that is the people who take advantage of the fact that you answer them. Taking the IMDB example, I've had people who ask me "Who's that guy?"

And I answer.

5 minutes later in the same film they point out another actor/actress and ask the same question. I'll answer that.

5 minutes later another actor/actress comes on screen and they ask me about him/her. At which point I answer but they follow with "What have I seen him/here before? What has he/she been in?" and I pull up IMDB and we have a lengthy conversation of "Have you seen?" "No I haven't" until I find the one movie in the huge list of films and television shows that the person has been in until we either find out the one thing they've seen the actor/actress in...or we find out that we actually haven't seen them in anything but that they look like another actor/actress.

The movie resumes and 5 minutes later the question is asked again. At which point I mention that the IMDB app for their smart phone is a free app and would help them answer the questions without having to have us stop the movie every 5 minutes.

The the person gets all upset and complains that they're now upset because we aren't willing to answer their questions.

Or in Yahoo Answers. You get people who ask "What is [blank]?" It's not like they're asking for an explanation of Quantum String Theory, they want to know what a dingo is.

Seriously? You can't hit Wikipedia, Google or Bing and type in "Dingo"? You have to spend the time to jump through the hoops of asking a question on Y!A when you could have taken an eighth of the time and searched "Dingo"?

Or the one that I really wanted to kill was my friend who called me in the middle of the night, left a message that this was super important, I called him back and he wanted to know what [something I've forgotten] was.

Thanks to the conversation following that, we're no longer friends. At 4:15 in the morning I'm not very tactful. I could be, but to get tact your reason for calling me at that hour had better be a good one. Not "I'm sorry, I couldn't be arsed to use the internet ans so I thought waking you up was a good idea".

So sometimes the sarcasm is warranted. I don't mind answering the odd question when we're not around a computer, but if you abuse the privilege the sarcasm will fly.
        “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

I have used the phrase "Google is your friend" to captain dickhead more times than I care to remember.
          even more so now that he has been seen to use google or other search engines on his phone or when his wasn't up for it asked me to look something up.

Sometimes I don't mind, if it's a subject I am more than familiar with, but if like 99% of the time's weve met up I've done most of the talking, you know what I am all talked out, I don't feel like I am meeting him for a chat, I feel like I am giving a 1 to 1 lecture on some random subject I may know way too little about and outright lie in my answers (but in a convincing enough manner with what information I do know).

seeing as that is face to face and at one point sans internet capable phones, snapping back check imdb isn't the best of things, I have a massive gap in my pop culture referencing abilities, but thankfully he rarely gives me cause to stop and go "hmm I don't know." I have asked him to tell me who someone he has meantioned is, mostly due to his latching onto really obscure names and not in a hipsteresque way.

Although online asking someone else to do the google legwork is infuriating.
          Someone asked what something was on a forum once and it wasn't clarification of an in joke like rule #1 on CS, but something about technology. The next post had an url from "let me google that for you" with the word he was asking about in the search bar.

Asking online what is "X" can be downright idiotic, asking what others think of "X" is not, an opinion of something differs greatly between different peoples responses.

Comment

Working...
          X