Crappy burners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappy burners

Long version erased for boringness; trying again.

My laptop's original optical drive died while the extended warranty was still in effect, and was replaced free.

The replacement died shortly after that warranty ended; after much searching to find one I could tell for certain used a separate AC adapter instead of one of those USB Y-things (worthless on a computer whose ports aren't close together) I replaced it with an external one, which I've had for two years now.

I almost never use my optical drive except to burn DVD's, and I doubt I've gotten 300 out of this one... but it's clearly dying. For the time being, I can usually get it to work if I set the speed low enough, but left at what was until yesterday normal it ruins discs with nearly 100% reliability, and also occasionally makes a brief grinding noise. I'm no idiot. I know what's coming and don't expect it to take long. That I'm currently being paid partly by its output makes the slowness all the more frustrating.

I know such things can't be made reliable because everybody wants them as cheap as possible, but it still stinks. (And I'm not doing anything unusual with it that would cause an early death, either.)
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

dang that sucks. And at almost 2 years it's outside of warranty unless you have one of those extended warranties.

and yes, they can be made reliable but… usually those ones are priced higher.

Comment

Working...
    X