No announcement yet.

"hey, a duhr why don't you drive since you can"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah CBT is kinda what I meant, iir, not looked into it, to get a full moped/motorcycle licence and be free of limitations, I have to take and pass a Car based drivers test.

I'm sad that they upped the requirements for even entry level low CC's iir once you just needed to own or have access to a moped to ride one, but given the ammount of idiots riding them, they had no choice but to enforce changes.

Something to do in April as I never did it this month.

Comment

sorry was gone for a day...i grew up in a city that either pay as much as you would for gas a week in public trasnportation fees or drive

the cost of a ticket for one day is 5 bucks now. where it used to be a buck maybe....and a monthly bus pass is now 100 a month. omgosh (catching up and reading comments
      Repeat after me, "I'm over it"
      Yeah we're so over, over
      Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Originally posted by smileyeagle1021 View Post
        The people I hate are the ones who when you tell them you took the bus ask "well, what happened to your car"... um, it's sitting in my garage... well, why didn't you drive it... because I didn't feel like deeling with traffic and parking and paying for gas (yes, I have to pay for the bus, but it still comes out to be cheaper than paying for gas and parking) and no, I don't think it is beneath me to ride the bus, it is a perfectly functional way of getting from point A to point B.
        EXACTLY, but my city has a bus system that only caters to the local college...which is way out of walking distance for me...

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
        I have *never* had a driver's license because I have never needed one, but no one has *ever* asked me why I don't in my entire life either....
        can i share that part of your life? :-)

Originally posted by RedRoseSpiral View Post
        I didn't get my license until a year and a half ago...I knew how to drive, but until then I didn't have a car (thank you grandpa for buying me one), didn't have the money to maintain a car, or pay insurance on it. The amount of people who told me that wasn't good enough was amazing. After awhile I just started giving them the dead fish stare until they shut up.
        got my license at 18 because i chose to, was too uncoordinated and vastly afraid to try before then
        it soon became a question of have insurance or pay for meds...hmmm. i am doing that now, except for the people that ask in honest curiosity

Originally posted by Glados View Post
        I did not drive for many years. I also received hounding questions about why. It went so far as to cost me a promotion at work.
        ... I was turned down because not driving meant I showed a lack of dedication in her opinion.
        that pisses me off because i didn't get a job because even though i didn't drive i had a garunteed way to work. how the fudge is not driving yet still being to work ON TIME not dedication?

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
        The JobCentre in my area a few months ago were badgering people who didn't have driving licences to start getting them. Fine, a lot of jobs demanding them now, vut they were seriously insinuating that refusal to get one could be seen as deliberately making a barrier to work
        I need to change my epilepsy medication in the next year or so, putting me at risk of breakthrough seizures which would see me off the road for six months at least. They still don't understand why I can't apply for permanent jobs that ask for driving ability...
        ok same as Glados, you have a way to work you show up and do your job what the heck do they care? its not that we as a people won't pay for gas insurance and upkeep its that we CAN'T

and in dallas, when i did ride the bus system it was maybe a buck a ride. and you could get a bus pass for the month.
        NOW the cost of a ticket for one day is 5 bucks now. where it used to be a buck maybe....and a monthly bus pass is now 100 a month. omgosh (catching up and reading comments. and as mentioned before the bus system here caters to routes around the campus...
        and its over a mile from me. of which i could walk, where there sidewalks to it and no the danger of thugs...and that i am too damn scared to step outside my house past the mailbox anymore
        Yeah we're so over, over
        Things I hate, that even after all this time...I still came back to the scene of the crime

Comment

Other people: "Why don't you drive?"
          Me: "Why don't YOU walk or take the bus?"

I've never felt the pressure to get my license. I've passed my first driving test, but never got the time to do my second one that will get me my license if I pass.

Comment

I have never had a driver's license, and I don't drive. My husband knew this when we began our relationship and he is fine with it. He gives me a ride to and from work. I only work 7 miles away and it's only 4 days a week. I'm also the bread winner and I pay the majority of the bills out of my paychecks. He also works around my schedule, because we have kids and can't afford full-time daycare, so that's not an issue that comes up either.

It has had little effect on my job.The only way it really effects my job, is that I'm not allowed to drive the company car. But I have no reason to use a company vehicle as part of my job, my job is just a desk job and if I need to go anywhere on the campus I can walk just fine.

I was up front when I was hired and said I didn't have a license, but I did have reliable transportation and that it wouldn't be an issue. There have been times when my husband was unable to take me to work, and then I just car pooled with a co-worker and chipped in on gas, took a taxi, or paid a neighbor or friend to give me a ride.

We do most of our shopping together but if I want to get out of the house and go somewhere he just drops me off and picks me up when I call. It's not a big deal we each have cell phones, and he drives to different areas for work anyway.

We also have a good public transportation system here, and we have multiple taxi companies that I've also used before. I've thought about buying a moped but I don't have the extra money to do so right now, but it's definitely something I'm looking into in the future when we have more money.

Occasionally I get asked questions, and I answer them, but everyone accepts them and moves on with their day. I don't get pestered about it at all.

Comment

working on letting this go. as with my therapy not just this but alot of things
              its just the tone of voice people use when asking or the facial expression that bothers me, it causes me to think that they didn't think before asking or just ran their mouths.

and that bothers me because in all my years of logical observation and putting two and two together am i the only one around here that does that?

Ie, i heard the sound of a toilet flushing
              SO that must mean someone JUST used the bathroom.

hubs is in the bedroom watching tv with me and the only other person in the house is (x person)
              SO that must mean x person just used the bathroom.
              random example... not that it matters who did what business in what bathroom

sometimes i miss being able to take myself where i need to go but not so much as the drivers cannot drive
              Yeah we're so over, over

Comment

Working...
              X