being diabetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• being diabetic

Oh my god this is frustrating. The start of this year I had a much needed physical and found out that despite losing about 100 pounds over the last three years I am now diabetic. Or apparently the weight loss was from that maybe.

The medication itself isn't bad, it's a pill 3 times a day with food, there are some digestive side effects but most of the time those aren't too bad. and the blood tests aren't too bad aside from the cost of the test strips.

These are the main problems

finding out what I can eat: oh my god do I miss being full, I don't actually mind some veggies but honestly most of the time it's not even the taste but the texture is the issue. Most of my diet is simply gone, and everything has carbs, my god I just want something to snack on now and then. dropping the pop has made a difference but not as much as I was hoping. What I really want is some no sugar desert recipes but the problem with most recipes is the lack of information or that the person who cooked it feels a need to include everything under the sun and when I don't drive I can't just run out and get what ever little bit of spice you decided to include.

Everybody has an opinion, and it's the right opinion. I am standing in the grocery store looking at how much splenda costs and reading over the package when a perfect fucking stranger says "don't bother it's not worth it" and walks away. Just mind your own fucking business buddy, I didn't freaking ask. Or how about at work I'm talking to a coworker while eating a caesar salad and out of nowhere she feels the need to comment that lettuce is very hard for the body to break down. Gee thanks for the opinion I didn't want. The bitching about artificial sweeteners and the bullshit people believe about those is basically it's own fratching thread on it's own. My mom went and basically told my entire extended family that I was diabetic and doesn't understand why I may not have wanted this. My aunt saw me looking at one candy and "that's not diabetic" I outright told her repeatedly to mind her own business and she kept taking it as a joke. My dad is diabetic and thinks he's an expert on it, let's just say he's not.

Everybody argues everything. This is separate from opinion just because it is, don't argue with me about it. If I say I can't eat something just accept it, don't tell me it won't hurt or it's no big deal. If I complain to my mom that my blood sugar is higher than I like she argues with me that no it's a good blood sugar. Further I try to stick a schedule with my eating but she doesn't seem to understand that.

Figuring out my blood sugar: ok here's the thing I'm a student with two part time jobs, I have an insane schedule and it's far from consistent so my fast is not always the same length, it can range from 8-14 hours throughout the week. I understand then that my sugar is going to vary but honestly the best I've been able to get it is a 5.8 and that's with a 4 hour shift at work the previous day and a 14 hour fast. Most mornings I'm in the 6.2-6.8 range. The highest I've been was 7.3 and that involved cake and a piece of fried chicken so it's not like I'm doing terribly but I'd like to get in that 5 range more. I want some leeway is all, I want to have a freaking muffin now and then.

The physical activity, ok I am not joining a gym, I'm not explaining why, it just won't work for me. My lifestyle has improved and is making a difference so I don't think a trainer will make that much of a difference and it's just not possible for my situation. I've tried treadmills and it was the most boring experience in my life, I am being more active around the house and summer will equal mowing of the lawn almost daily so it's not a big deal but honestly I'm a grad student working on a thesis.

Cooking, ok I like to cook but it takes time and therefore I try to cook for multiple meals at once but this doesn't work well when everybody eats my food. My mom asked me to put a lasagna on for her for supper for when she got home. I did, however apparently my chicken stirfry looked more appetizing to her so now I don't have a lunch and have to find something other than salad at this school (god I'm sick of salad) that I can eat today. I'm not mad at her, hell she paid for the food but it is really frustrating.

Are there any classes you can take through your doctor's office on how to deal with having diabetes? These should give you information on what you can and can't eat. The can't eats aren't as bad as you think by the way.

My husband has diabetes so I've learned a lot from helping him to adjust his diet. When I cook, I try to make sure he has some veggies, some protein, and some carbs in that order. I also try to provide some healthy snacks.

The good news is, you can have that muffin. Depending on the size, you might want to eat half for say, breakfast and the other half as a snack later or with a different meal. For example, to make the muffin part of a healthier breakfast, make a veggie omelet which gives you your protein and your veggies, and then use half a muffin as your snack.

Comment

Originally posted by Teysa View Post
      Are there any classes you can take through your doctor's office on how to deal with having diabetes? These should give you information on what you can and can't eat. The can't eats aren't as bad as you think by the way.

My husband has diabetes so I've learned a lot from helping him to adjust his diet. When I cook, I try to make sure he has some veggies, some protein, and some carbs in that order. I also try to provide some healthy snacks.

The good news is, you can have that muffin. Depending on the size, you might want to eat half for say, breakfast and the other half as a snack later or with a different meal. For example, to make the muffin part of a healthier breakfast, make a veggie omelet which gives you your protein and your veggies, and then use half a muffin as your snack.
      I 2d this wholeheartedly. When Ex was diagnoised about 15 years ago, we had to completely change our eating habits to fit the carb intake diabetic diet that Ex had to follow.

AND I too strongly suggest that you find classes (most may be free or near free at your local hospital or major clinic) because they will teach you to REALLY read food labels (which you will be amazed at the amount of carbs that are in some foods), plan meals and snacks

Your first point of reference should be the American Diabeties Assoc. website. REALLY good starting point for disease info, guidelines, what to do when things go wonky, pointers to diet requirements, ancillory sites for food carb content, recipies, and general info about what you will be going through.

Also make sure to get your A1C level checked (I think) every 6 months. this tracks your long term sugar levels.
      I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
      The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

My nutritional consult says that you really do need a small protein based snack at bedtime - a sugar free yoghurt or hard boiled egg is excellent. If you do a carby one, carbs turn into glucose so it is not a good idea.

Cheese is a decent snack, relatively low in carbs and high in protein.

One of my default snacks is about 2 tablespoons of hummus and a couple celery stalks - decent protein to carb proportions and the celery is a good solid crunch. Pepperoni slices or sticks are also a decent snack. It is all in portion control and balancing the carb based calories with the amount of glucose they will turn into and protein and fats.

If you work crazy schedules, you need to bring lots of small snacks and get something at regular intervals, even if it means hiding a wrapped piece of string cheese or pepperoni stick in a pocket and sneaking it in the bathroom.

Comment

The JDRF has a lot of information as well....jdrf.org

Comment

Working...
          X