Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those TV Judge shows.

Am I the only one despises them?

All they are is some arrogant, holier than thou judge talking down to people. We're supposed to dislike the plaintiffs or defendants, but I find the judges to be the biggest douchebags on the planet. They're right, you're wrong, and they will not let you forget it.

I still love Judge Judy. She is a trip when it comes to idiots. She is a little off at times. Especially with ones dealing with pit bulls.

Comment

Once upon a time, they had on interesting cases. I liked "The People's Court" better, but Judge Judy's difference was initially that IF someone was being stupid or belligerent, she didn't hesitate to call them out. The trouble with people liking that is that others copied her and they all went looking for stupider and stupider litigants so as to have an excuse for the judge to rant more.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Pretty much. I don't mind Judge Judy, it was everything that came afterwards that tried to one up Judge Judy.

Comment

It's been years since I've seriously watched any of those shows but the only ones I really liked were The People's Court (when Judge Wapner was still on there) and The Judge. While both judges could be stern at times, they seemed to have a genuine sense of compassion for the people in front of their bench.

Comment

I admit it, I'm a sucker for "People's Court". And while it can be fun to see just how crazy people are, it's also interesting to learn how the law views some things. I can be rooting for someone who is morally in the right, yet they lose the case for legal reasons. Or someone who is completely in the right both morally and legally, yet they win only a pittance because of surrounding circumstances. And it's still shocking to me just how much evidence you're required to bring, and just how much paperwork people hang onto. A receipt from 3 years ago? I would so lose the case, lol.

Judge Judy can be interesting, but I mostly find it tiring and frustrating, because July seems to rule more on emotion instead of any law. And God help you if you're a non-custodial parent, especially if you are unemployed or underemployed. Judy will bash you on national TV, regardless of how hard you're working or how much you're paying to support your kids.

Comment

Keep in mind that all these judge cases, they have all the evidence and case details long before the cameras start filming, and they've usually figured out who wins and loses long before then. It's rare those judges will change their mind afterward.

The show for the cameras is just that, a chance for the plaintiff and defendant to tell their stories (more or less) and get the ruling. Some of the most entertaining cases IMO are when someone is winning, but can't resist getting one last jab in, and blows their case up completely.

Comment

I was OK with Judge Judy, but Judge Marilyn Milian was the one that annoyed the hell out of me. She was rude, obnoxious, and got belligerent over even the slightest of issues. There was one episode that I watched where she spent ten minutes haranguing the prosecution dude over being scammed by the defendant, when it was obvious that the defendant had tricked and scammed him.

Comment

There's also a clip of Milan flipping out because a guy said "that's your opinion". Granted, that was a douchey thing to say, but her response was 100x douchier "I have my degree so I'm better than you blah blah blah".

That's what gets me about the judge shows. They can verbally abuse people as much as they want, but if someone dares stick up for themselves, they go apeshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                    There's also a clip of Milan flipping out because a guy said "that's your opinion". Granted, that was a douchey thing to say, but her response was 100x douchier "I have my degree so I'm better than you blah blah blah".

That's what gets me about the judge shows. They can verbally abuse people as much as they want, but if someone dares stick up for themselves, they go apeshit.
                    I'm guessing within that context it was a comment made that wasn't an actual ruling. (ie some of the banter)

those shows generally have the rule that the judgement is legally binding unless said lawsuit is dismissed without prejudice. Not sure about The People's Court, but Judge Judy does. (she has also been known to dismiss some cases completely if she believes that people are trying to make easy money off the show)

As far as Judge Judy goes (since that's the only "court" show we get down here), I just watch it if I'm sick.

Comment

If its the one I'm thinking of the guy was a new lawyer graduating from the university that Judge Milan teaches at. He got really snippy at her and she let him have it as she's had her license longer, is a alumni of the school, and could have been one of his professors.

Comment

Originally posted by Aethian View Post
                        If its the one I'm thinking of the guy was a new lawyer graduating from the university that Judge Milan teaches at. He got really snippy at her and she let him have it as she's had her license longer, is a alumni of the school, and could have been one of his professors.
                        Yup, the guy was a douche so I can't say Milan wasn't justified... but it was just so over the top. It demonstrated everything I hate about those judge shows. They are so full of themselves and they're not afraid to let the world know how full of themsevles they are.

Comment

Yup, the guy was a douche so I can't say Milan wasn't justified... but it was just so over the top. It demonstrated everything I hate about those judge shows. They are so full of themselves and they're not afraid to let the world know how full of themsevles they are.
                          It was but you got to admit the guy needed some serious pwnage before he tried doing that in a court that wasn't being broadcasted. He could get his client in serious trouble.

With Judge Judy and the way she gets sometimes, that has ALWAYS been her. On Youtube you can follow a 60 minuets report that was done on her all while she was still one of the top family lawyers in NY. Let me tell you she did NOT pull punches. It was a bit more epic watching her in that then some of her cases from now. But yes some of them she gets now they pwn themselves by not shutting up.

Comment

I don't remember his name but there was a judge from Chattanooga that was a hoot. He didn't like the homeboys or gangster-wanna-be's that came before him.
                            Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

I respect Judge Judy because she never seems to go for the petty stuff and if she does lay into a person it's smart and with good cause.

In trying to win his case that his tenant violated the terms of his lease.

He basically forced the tenant to vacate the apartment he had agreed to in his lease and take the smaller one because it was a remodeled house and the whole house had only one furnace he didn't think the tenant was mature enough to take care of said furnace so "asked him to move into the smaller apartment"

In other words served him an eviction notice and said "but you can move into this other apartment I have"

In his words to Judy he explained that his tenant moving out entirely was a childish reaction and in violation of the lease agreement.

Judy quickly pointed out that the lease agreement was for a specific apartment and that moving out rather than taking a lesser living space than what you need and had agreed upon was a mature and responsible decision and that at best the landlord had terminated the lease agreement at worst had violated the terms of it himself.

She told him that if anyone was acting immaturely it was him and that he clearly needed to grow up more before he was ready to be a professional landlord.

Didn't help that the tenant came in knowing all of the tenant/landlord rights for his state and the landlord had "but I can do whatever I want"
                              Jack Faire
                              Friend
                              Father
                              Smartass

Comment

Working...
                              X