Town lockdown not an excuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Town lockdown not an excuse

Hi everybody, I'm in the Boston area! And at this moment, there is a crazy guy with a gun in the Boston area, and no-one knows where he is.

So we got a Reverse 911 call, and were advised to stay in our homes for our own protection.

My sister's boss thinks that this is quite clearly not an excuse for her not going to work today. >_<
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Cripes. Your sister's boss is a raging douchebag and moron.

Cars aren't even being allowed in or out of Watertown and the mass transit has been halted.

Does she work in on of the affected areas (Boston, Watertown, Newton, Waltham, Belmont, Cambridge, Allston-Brighton) in which businesses were asked to not even open?
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Wow, Yena. It sounds like your area is getting all of the fun* lately.

* Using the Dwarf Fortress meaning of the word "fun," where "fun" includes monstrous invasions and sieges.

Comment

It's because of people like her boss that they have to respond this way in the first place.

Douches.

Comment

"Crazed gunman with IEDS somewhere outside" isn't a good enough excuse to miss work? ><

Comment

I wonder if mass flooding or wrath of God would be enough of an excuse for her boss?

Just...want help stringing him up or something?
            I has a blog!

Comment

Nah, with mass flooding she can get a boat. With the wrath of God, she can just pray a lot on the way in.

Comment

And a guy I know apparently agrees with this, saying that no parts of Boston should have been shut down, because thousands of dollars were lost and the American economy can't take the hit, while people dying would likely not have effected the rest of the nation as much. >_<

Comment

Your sister's boss is a cock. Also, the 'guy you know'.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                    Your sister's boss is a cock. Also, the 'guy you know'.
                    I don't feel like personally identifying him, which is why I didn't. I can assure you that he is real, if you're implying you think I made him up. I can provide you a link to what he said.

If you're not implying that, well... Sorry for misinterpreting you.

Comment

I most assuredly did not mean it that way.

I simply didn't think it would make sense to run it together in a sentence, so I put quotes, because that's what you called him.

Despite the looser rules on fratching, as a mod, I'd never publicly call someone out if I doubted the veracity of their story. I'd pm that person.

Hope I cleared that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Peppergirl View Post
                        I most assuredly did not mean it that way.

I simply didn't think it would make sense to run it together in a sentence, so I put quotes, because that's what you called him.

Despite the looser rules on fratching, as a mod, I'd never publicly call someone out if I doubted the veracity of their story. I'd pm that person.

Hope I cleared that up.

Oh, okay. I'm sorry about misinterpreting you. No worries.

Comment

A manager actually called me before we got the r911, and told me not to come in at all on Friday (even though I wasn't working until the evening). Yesterday I was talking with a cashier who was also called; she said that someone else had told her "oh the store was open for a few hours, you could have come in".

WTF? Nobody knew when the order was going to be lifted, and in a situation like that I don't think even grocery stores are 'essential' enough to stay open. My mom was saying that she didn't think the store would close, but I don't think even ASM wanted to defy Corporate then (as doing so could be risking the lives of employees); at that point Corp was quoted in the paper as saying that my location was closed.

It's all about the money; a local coffeeshop was also open Friday (even though there was nobody out; I think a couple cops stopped in but that was it).

I meant to ask manager L yesterday if anyone tried to complain that we were closed
                          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-22-2013, 02:05 PM.
                          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I was fired once for obeying the orders of the police. They closed the roads one winter because of a county wide snow storm that was creating whiteout conditions and dumped 2 feet of snow.

The police were telling people that if they didn't need to be on the streets to not go onto the streets and anyone who needed to get to important jobs (medical personnel at hospitals) to call the non-emergency number to get an Emergency Services 4x4 to come and get them.

So I told my boss at Radio Shack that because of the "do not @#$%ing drive" notice from the police...I wasn't coming in. He fired me.

Got the last laugh. He tried to deny my unemployment. I countered that I was fired for obeying the State Police.

I got my benefits.

But yeah, there are people who are so much of an arrogant asswipe that they expect their employees to risk being ticketed, injured or killed just so they can man a register...even though they're not likely to get any business because no one is supposed to be on the gorram roads.
                            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

We were expected to stay open during the massive blizzard in February. I think there were only three of us rank-and-file in the store that day (all of us could theoretically walk to work...I live less than 2 blocks away yet it took me 20 minutes to get in and I was exhausted from fighting through 3 feet of snow), we had maybe a dozen customers before the no-drive order was lifted. The day before, ASM had told me 'you're the CSDH tomorrow from open to close' O_o (I didn't have a chance to refuse)

Bakeshop Manager K was appalled that none of us who risked our asses (I was THISCLOSE to being hit by a plow in the parking lot on my way in) got a bonus or any official recognition. Most of my supervisors thought that ANY hours worked that day (not just the hours in excess of our regular scheduled shift) should have been minimum double time. It's stunts like that that make employees who otherwise care about the store not care.
                              Last edited by Dreamstalker; 04-24-2013, 02:58 AM.
                              "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Working...
                              X