No announcement yet.

Windows 8 De-Personalization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anything on the metro interface I avoid, click the desktop icon and do it the old way, although I have not looked far into what's missing from xp and how to get it back on track.

Metro apps I see as for touch screen only, even if they do work with keyboard and mouse, I might not use the desktop with touch screen as programs invariably are not designed for them, so buttons could easily be mashed by one finger.
    but I doubt I would be using a touchscreen pc with windows 8 anyway, mostly cos I can't justify the cost of one even when I was in the process of buying this rig.
    also due to the fact that I hate touch pads on laptops, I need a physical mouse to interact with the os and I don't think they are cut out for gaming.

Comment

A co-worker has a touch-screen monitor. It's a pain in the ass, because every time you try to point to something on her screen, you click the damn thing. It's counter-intuitive and pointless. It adds nothing to the functionality.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I haven't had the misfortune to have used Win8, but a lot of folks I know rave about how much Classic Shell helps it suck less. I know it includes stuff to give you a classic style Start Menu, not sure about the rest but it might. Worth a try, maybe?
        Bartle Test Results: E.S.A.K.
        Explorer: 93%, Socializer: 60%, Achiever: 40%, Killer: 13%

Comment

It's a work computer. I'm not allowed to do that much to change how it's set up, unfortunately.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
            I've been saying since it was first announced that it's a mobile OS and should've been exclusive to mobile devices like phones and tablets. keep it off desktop and laptop computers
            I've been saying that to anyone that will listen too, as a mobile OS it is great I have a windows phone and like it, I've used Apple and Android OS's. Apple is good, but expensive and Android I hate with the power of a thousand suns (I've found it overcomplicated and the phones unreliable).

But everything I've seen or heard told me I would hate Win8 on the pc, what little I've seen tells me I'd hate it, spend about 5-10 mins last year talking to a guy in the MS store trying to sell me W8 and every time he said one thing I'd counter with several more things I could do with 7 that I couldn't in 8 that I happen to use almost everyday. So I'm sticking with Win 7 thank you very much

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
              If you can afford it, just load Win7 on. It's got the funky "are you sure you want to do this" feature on everything (seriously, I'm loading the disc up.
              Actually if you go to the control panel and select "user accounts" and then click on the "Change User Account Control Settings" link, on the page that comes up drop the slider to the very bottom and it'll never nag you again.

Well maybe once to confirm that's what you actually want to do but no more after that.
              “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
                A co-worker has a touch-screen monitor. It's a pain in the ass, because every time you try to point to something on her screen, you click the damn thing. It's counter-intuitive and pointless. It adds nothing to the functionality.
                And unlike a tablet where you can use the touchscreen at a comfortable angle, using it for an 8-hour shift is uncomfortable and in some cases cause health problems trying to hold your arms out for that long of a time.

This article has some wonderful ideas on how Microsoft could recover from this and make a better product.

Shame the odds against them doing it are astronomical.
                “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                  Actually if you go to the control panel and select "user accounts" and then click on the "Change User Account Control Settings" link, on the page that comes up drop the slider to the very bottom and it'll never nag you again.

Well maybe once to confirm that's what you actually want to do but no more after that.
                  Oh, that's brilliant! No more yelling from freakin' Java or Steam!

Thanks
                  I has a blog!

Comment

Working...
                  X