Stop Gambling on Us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Medea View Post
    I know you don't need a ring, and I've tried to tell myself that fairytale weddings are called so for a reason, but I can't lie and say that I don't want one. I don't know if it's a result of societal conditioning, but I can't help what I want.
    advertising by a highly corrupt industry to the point of total societal brainwashing(think "the customer is always right"-also advertising).

a Traditional engagement ring is NOT an overly marked up diamond-it is your birthstone(hint a diamond isn't an investment, they're essentially worthless-almost no resale value, which is how you determine the worth of an item.).

Read this, the history of diamond engagement rings, and the cartel that pushes them and decide if you really want a diamond, or a traditional ring.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

So after reading the initial post I am curious.

Are you mad over the betting pool, or are you mad because you can't participate in it?

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post

advertising by a highly corrupt industry to the point of total societal brainwashing(think "the customer is always right"-also advertising).

a Traditional engagement ring is NOT an overly marked up diamond-it is your birthstone(hint a diamond isn't an investment, they're essentially worthless-almost no resale value, which is how you determine the worth of an item.).

Read this, the history of diamond engagement rings, and the cartel that pushes them and decide if you really want a diamond, or a traditional ring.
        I learnt about De Beers' bullshit when I worked for a chain jewellers for a time five years ago. The largest diamonds we sold were about 2.5 carats - and I could see the black inclusions right under the crown. Ugly as sin. Manager said he knew how poor the diamonds were but there was nothing he could do - even point them out. Housemate went to Australia a decade ago and Oz diamonds were not only gorgeous but cheap.

Birthstones are a good idea but mine is garnet, and blech! Do not like garnets. The alternative I've found that I love muchly is white sapphire - clarity is beautiful and clear, like water frozen in time.

The best diamonds I know of are ones like the Sancy, the Orlov, the Tavernier Blue, the Cullinans and Darya-il-Nur: Huge, unique diamonds that end up in museums and/or crown jewels. Try and sell those bastards, De Beers. That and ones produced by the Lifegem process, which is what me mam wants to do with her ashes.

Comment

I'm born in April, so my birthstone is diamond, so it will be traditional and horrendously marked up (I think it's either the most or second most marked up product in the world, after cinema popcorn).

Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
          So after reading the initial post I am curious.

Are you mad over the betting pool, or are you mad because you can't participate in it?
          Both. I don't like being told I can't play.
          "I'm trapped like a moth in a bath!"

Comment

Originally posted by Medea View Post
            I'm born in April, so my birthstone is diamond, so it will be traditional and horrendously marked up (I think it's either the most or second most marked up product in the world, after cinema popcorn).
            Don't have to get a diamond anyway. I'm also an April baby, and frankly, unless I could've gotten a setting with a lot of little diamonds to be sparkly, diamonds were out because single settings are rather dull to me when it comes to diamonds.

Kabe bought me a gorgeous amethyst stone that's surrounded by diamonds in white gold. And my wedding ring fits around the stone and adds more small diamonds. And we got it for much less than the traditional settings.

(Although, irony/hilarity: months to a year after Kabe proposed, his mom handed him a bag of family engagement rings and wedding bands so he could propose...we think she missed the memo somehow? Or forgot? )
            I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by SongsOfDragons View Post
              Birthstones are a good idea but mine is garnet, and blech! Do not like garnets.
              you are aware garnets come in every color of the rainbow(including clear and black), and are the only gemstone that does right? I have a color shift garnet, shift is from reddish purple under incandescent light, shifts to teal blue in the sun.
              Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

I have always wanted a Australian Fire opal...

Comment

you are aware garnets come in every color of the rainbow(including clear and black), and are the only gemstone that does right? I have a color shift garnet, shift is from reddish purple under incandescent light, shifts to teal blue in the sun.
                  >>

<<

...I thought they only came in greens and browns and reds? The red ones are the stones I see commonly and thr colour I associate with garnet, and I'm not a red person. This red is usually a burnt shade too that I prefer ruby over.

O.o I know spinel, tourmaline and sapphire can come in every colour under the sun, the latter especially I've seen rainbow jewellery for, but didn't know garnet could. Do you have pictures of your stone? It sounds like what Alexandrite does!!

Comment

I'm a fan of beryls (emerald, aquamarine, tourmaline, etc), myself.
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

How often do you even see peridot jewelry?
                      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

For my mother and aunt, far, far more often than they would ever want. They both despise the color green, and wearing it makes them look jaundiced. Even if it's just a gemstone in a setting. Instead, mom's into rubies and garnets, and the aunt goes for tanzanites and sapphires.

In addition to beryls, I'm a huge fan of opals and moonstones.
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My engagement ring has diamonds in it, but only because I liked the style of the ring and it was a fairly reasonable price (I picked it and the Fiance bought it). It came from a second hand jewellers and was nicer and cheaper than the ones in the big jewellers.

Only a little later did I realise it had 10 (very small) diamonds in it and that we had got engaged around our 10 year anniversary

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                            How often do you even see peridot jewelry?
                            *pipes up* Peridot is my birthstone. I don't much care for it, though, because it's too much of a watery, washed-out color, most of the time. I prefer bright blues and greens, particularly turquoise and jade.

Comment

Me and Bill were talking about engagement rings the other day. I told him either sapphire or aquamarine would be great, as long as its not a diamond I'll be happy.
                              "I like him aunt Sarah, he's got a pretty shield. It's got a star on it!"

- my niece Lauren talking about Captain America

Comment

I don't even need a stone, really. There was a stint where we were looking at unusual wedding sets, including those made of titanium and the like.

Comment

Working...
                                X