Classic TV on BluRay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic TV on BluRay

It's not quite a hate more an I don't get, but I'm not sure it belongs in grab bag or pop culture.

I don't know how wide spread this is as I don't go blu ray shopping, but recently a Pertwee Who was announced on blu ray, I associate this with high definition content and 70's TV was far from it, so do they upscale for no god damn reason when players are more than capable of up scaling SD to HD displays?

if it turns out it is just normal SD but they get all of it onto one disc (7gb approx. dual layer DVD and what 50gb BluRay?) then I don't mind as its not effing with the image (save for digital clean up, but I've seen some movies that have had zero in this over the time, so would they re-master when up scaling?).
    Then again how can you call it a box set when it all fits on one disc?

Yes I would like the DVD and Blu Ray's to be digitally re mastered prior to pressing, but id hate to think they just slapped shitty VHS transfers on one and went to town on the other.

Maybe they prefer selling Bluray for the better copy protection, and to catch people who don't realize the content wasn't produced in HD?
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

If you are referring to Spearhead From Space, the reason why it can be put on Blu-Ray is because it was the only story from the classic series that was not shot on video. It was shot on 16mm film.

Any TV show that was shot on film will benefit from a Blu-Ray release, regardless of how old it is. Two examples of this are Star Trek: The Original Series and The Prisoner. Both series were shot entirely on film, and there is a night and day difference between the Blu-Ray and the DVD.

Comment

The blu ray remaster of the original Star Trek is pretty amazing and also kind of hilarious as the picture is so good you can see things like the zippers on the alien monsters, etc. <3

I got the whole thing for my mom for Christmas. I need to borrow it ;p

Comment

Any TV show that was shot on film will benefit from a Blu-Ray release, regardless of how old it is.
          If the film survives, and if it's not really low quality or damaged beyond that level of restoration...
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's mainly to get Blu-Ray into the forefront and phase out DVD.

Comment

Not to mention the capacity of the various disks.

DVD Single Side, Dual Layer (standard movie format) - 8.54 Gb
              Blu-Ray DVD Single Side, Dual Layer (standard movie format) - 50 Gb

So as a good example, if you were to take Monty Python's Flying Circus on DVD it's 16 disks for the "16-ton Megaset". That's 16 disks at 8.54 Gb each for a total of 136.64 Gb for the set.

But with Blu-Ray it would only take (sadly it's not out on Blu-Ray yet) 3 disks. Two full to capacity (or nearly so) and one for the remainder.

Airwolf seasons 1-4 are 17 disks on Standard DVD. It *could* fit on three disks, but since it's 4 seasons it would likely be wedged onto 4 disks, one for each season.

I own Firefly on DVD and Blu-ray. DVD's 4 disks, Blu-Ray is 1 disk.

So capacity also plays an important part in the reason to fit them onto a Blu-Ray even though the shows don't benefit from *all* the Blu-Ray features. It at least benefits from capacity and storage efficiency for the consumer. Shrinking those Double-Digit Box Sets into one disk per season gives me more room to put more of my favorite shows on ye olde shelf.
              “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

That was the only thing I could think of them doing, taking many discs and turning it into one, but it's hard to call a single disc a box set after that, seeing the complete season on the shelf in a single disc not a 'book' of digi packs that take up the space of 2 dvd's.

Mind you I tend to go for the oversized box sets that offer a display option.

As for killing off DVD, probably too late for that, the whole Netflix and other services dented the sales of BluRay it's never had a large presence in my local HMV.

Comment

A few years ago, I bought Centennial on DVD. This is a Miniseries I've been waiting for a long time. While I enjoyed the series, I wish they could have cleaned up make up and stuff. the makeup on some of the actors was pretty obvious. then it dawned on me that you could get away with that in low res...but not in high res.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                    A few years ago, I bought Centennial on DVD. This is a Miniseries I've been waiting for a long time. While I enjoyed the series, I wish they could have cleaned up make up and stuff. the makeup on some of the actors was pretty obvious. then it dawned on me that you could get away with that in low res...but not in high res.
                    I have that one, as well as the 12 tape VHS edition that came out back in the late 90's.

The quality of the discs does show a lot that the VHS didn't due to the resolution. Higher the resolution, the more detail that's shown.
                    If life hands you lemons . . . find someone whose life is handing them vodka . . . and have a party - Ron "Tater Salad" White

Comment

Working...
                    X