Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previously banned movies

Why do they invariably suck?
    Mind you a lot of the ones banned in the UK have been reprieved uncut on DVD after the 1984 video nasties act (it's got a real name but I can't be bothered checking) and some the BBFC admitted needn't have been banned in the first place, it was a knee jerk reaction to the act and the horror/slasher genre.
    Hell some of the post Scream horror rated 15 are gorier than 80's 18 movies.

I've dug out the Lone Wolf and Cub box set (along with Shogun Assassin, which I have not seen since the tape was withdrawn from my rental shop and banned for a while), this I don't expect to suck as I don't think they were ever released over here and I do remember enjoying Shogun Assassin as a ten year old the rather spitting bloody deaths spring to mind.

And I haven't forgiven them (the BBFC) for cutting the Nunchucka scene from Enter the dragon till the DVD release, we had the pre 1984 Betamax and the change was so jarring, more so when you consider they allowed TMNT to air on TV with nunchucks and at PG or even U?

OK those are two good movies that were either pulled or cut (somewhat heavily for a single scene if nothing else), but I watched the cinema snobs I spit on your grave, now on DVD (for a few years now) and although the rape scene is graphic in and of itself, the rest of the movie was painted as meh, especially when you consider the death's and the order thereof.

I don't know if the exorcist was banned or just frowned upon, but reading about it at the time it sound more shocking than the yawn fest I found it to actually be. Back in the day I can see it being offensive and off putting, but I had seen all the nightmares by the time I saw this and thought, this is an 18?

I've got almost 30 of the shameless screen entertainment DVD's yet not seen one of them, trying to get the last one of the first 20 I need then marathon them at some point, but I expect most to be bland walk in the park "well this might have been something in the 60's and find better production values in the segments of the broken movie.

yeah, alot of the videos on the "Video Nasties" list are tame or cheezy by today's standards, but it was a different era when they first banned them, and it was more of a political move to appease religious fundies than anything. used to have a Fangoria article on them years ago but don't have that mag anymore. a lot of them were banned not just for the gore, but rape, animal cruelty (which was NOT illegal in the 70's in italian cinema), etc..

one i recommend skipping? cannibal holocaust. it's one on that list i do regret seeing, and have never been able to stomach sitting through again. they kill animals on screen (the natives had the animals for their meal, but watching the deaths are still brutal), rape and torture abound, just... not even scary. or entertaining. just a terrible glimpse of the horrors humans can do.
    the director had to go to court and prove they didn't actually kill anyone during it, because of some of the death scenes. seriously, the director had to gather all the cast members together, and demonstrate how they did an impalement effect to keep from being tried for murder.
    god awful movie.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

"Sadly" that one will end up in the dvd player as they (shameless) do have the UK rights, least I'm sure its that cannibal movie, I already have one or two from them.

I have seen a lot of Cinema Snobs older episodes and yeah there were a lot of I cant show you this but yes he does fuck the goat, movie turns out to be a brother sister not husband wife incest murder spree type thing, unless its in shameless library its safe to skip, mind you I doubt that scene would make it past the BBFC, some times they do have good points.

CH though with the live animal deaths, not sure how over sensationalised they are, but it was meant to be a documentary and these people, unless extras who didn't live that way, would kill and eat these animals anyway.
      Killing animals for food, OK
      Filming said killings in a brutal manner, not quite.

But wild life killing other wild life, that is not age restricted and they have filmed rather horrific animal kills, they don't sugar coat wild life, so the idea was to emulate this.

edit:
      Not banned or hacked or anything, but in later years cited as a filmed rape ...
      The scene in Last Tango in Paris, the woman was not expecting actual sex, not keen at all, but as nothing was said or done at the time, a real penetrative sex scene made it into a non skin flick movie (and most of those were probably dry humping anyways, least the ones the bbfc allowed in the UK) sounds ballsy and edgy, but later on (iir she has now died) she felt she was forced into the scene by the director and physically assaulted by Hopper.
      Last edited by Ginger Tea; 06-11-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X