Telemarketers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telemarketers.

I keep getting these calls from some unknown number. Every time they call I ignore them and they leave the same message every time "Can we speak with ****** please?". They won't say anything about what they're calling about or who they are, just that they want to speak with ******.

Well sorry pal, but if that's all you're going to tell me, then I'm just going to assume you're trying to scam me. So until then, screw off.

Our calls usually involve power companies.

"We'd like to talk to you about possibly lowering your bill with X-Company!"
    "We don't use that company for our power."
    "Oh, um...*CLICK*"

Last time I picked up, it was someone saying that we had viruses on a computer running Windows. "I don't use Windows, I use a Mac." Cue super confused moron.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I keep hoping that I get the Windows virus call, honestly. I know enough about computers to deal with virus issues and I would never let some unknown scammer remote into my computer in a million years. Hell, I don't even let people I know personally do that! I'd probably hand the phone off to my son though - all his computers run Linux and have for a couple of years now. He keeps trying to talk me into install Linux but with everything I do I don't want to have to piss around with trying to make WINE work so I can run certain Windows-based programs.

I have gotten the calls about 'consolidating my credit cards' though. The stunned silence on the other end of the phone when I told the person I don't have any credit cards was hilarious. He tried to tell me that everybody has credit cards these days - I don't, and I told him that if he didn't take my number off the list I'd be reporting his company. Yep, no more phone calls about that.

Although I did receive a call once from somebody who wanted to sell my house for me. All I could do was laugh because I was renting a basement suite at the time. I sure as hell don't own a house even now!

If it's a survey call I don't mind those because I know that most of the time they are from legitimate companies. I did a short stint at one before realizing that I hate out-bound call centers. If the questions make absolutely no sense I will ask what company they are actually with and if it sounds scammy I will hang up.

Comment

Speaking of renting and getting phone calls ---- I have ALWAYS rented since I left home 30 odd years ago.

It was real fun the get calls from a siding company wanting to "come out and look aat my house and give me a nice quote for some sideing or windows or doors or a deck".

Imagine the shock when I told them they would have to talk to the apartment complex owners about that.
        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

If they ask for a person by name and won't say anything, then it's a collection agent trying to collect on a debt. What I do with those is add their number to my ZZZ contact, which goes directly to voicemail and never even rings.
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I would get the siding calls at work. I'm sure the city would just love to put vinyl siding on their steel and glass toll booths.

Comment

One excuse the siding people wouldn't take: having a brick house. It would have been one thing had they moved on to overhangs, but no, thry tried to insist Mom really needed to cover her bricks with plastic.

One excuse they WILL take: "I already have it."
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Probably one of the funniest things to happen at my last job was when the phone rang as my boss was complaining about getting telemarketing calls at work, and the Caller ID said "Marketing Fraud" We got a good laugh out of that.

Comment

My mother always answered her phone (I usually let it go to the answering machine) and used to get very annoyed when it was telemarketers, especially those trying to get her to buy something. I told her to tell the truth: "I'm unemployed." I found that shut things down really fast. (Officially, of course, she was "retired," but she didn't have any kind of post-retirement job, so "unemployed" was perfectly accurate ...)

I don't recall if I've told this one before, so please forgive me if I have ... not long after I was laid off from my newspaper job, I started getting calls from telemarketers trying to sell me a subscription to our sister paper in the next town. After the third or fourth one, I finally told the caller, "Look, I realize there's no way you could know this, but you're trying to get me to give money to the company that just laid me off." The poor guy apologized all over the place. I told him again it was obviously not his fault but he could probably see why I didn't want a subscription. Oddly, I never heard from them after that.

Comment

Working...
                  X