Cutesy-poo acronyms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutesy-poo acronyms

I've been wading through (and disposing of) piles of papers, much of it school notes, and ran across a writing assignment which included the instructions "Follow the standards of COCOACAT."

What this stands for is Clear, Objective, Concise, Organized, Accurate, Correct, Audience-appropriate, Thorough.

No, I didn't remember that off the top of my head. I had to Google it.

And speaking of striving for audience-appropriateness ...

Anybody else got any acronyms they hate?

ROFL/ROFLMAO

If you write LOL, I can at least imagine that you did, in fact, laugh there. If you say LMFAO, I can think "Oh, you got a good laugh, not just a heh."

But I really did if you found something so funny you fell out of your chair, you wouldn't be immediately typing it. Like, my standards are low. If you say LOL, all I ask is that it just got a "heh."

If you find something really, truly hilarious... Particularly if it's something I said/did, then I hope you can give better praise than ROFL/ROFLMAO.
    "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
    ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

RAFT=Role, Audience, Format, Topic.

Enough said.

Comment

I have a few that, while they are helpful mnemonics, I hear so many times every day that I cringe every time I hear them now:

ADPIE: Assessment, Diagnosis, Planning, Implementation, Evaluation

SBAR: Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendation

COLDSPA: Character, Onset, Location, Duration, Severity, Pattern, Associated factors/Affect

Comment

I just spotted one in a newsletter I get at work.

T'DA = Two Day Assembly

Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

YOLO- cant stand that one

Comment

Complementary Metal-oxide semiconductor... CMOS.

Hey? Where's everyone going? What did I say?

Actually, ditto above. YOLO is contemptible not only for being ridiculous sounding, but being an asinine reason for doing anything.

Comment

I'm not sure how YOLO or CMOS are "cutesy-poo" in any manner.

I really do think, though, that the issue with YOLO is not only is it asinine on its face, but the people who would use it as justification for anything tend to reckless and self-absorbed and thus use it as an excuse for actions they know are unacceptable.
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

slightly ot
                  lol to me has always looked like a guy waving his arms in the air going woooo

Comment

Oddly, amongst my circle of friends, "heh" is used to indicate mildly amusing. "lol" is used to indicate something fairly amusing. While actually typing out "hahaha" or what have you is used to indicate something genuinely laughing out loud funny.

Like..."lol" is an acknowledgement that something was funny. In a sort of saluting kind of way. Like, okay, that was funny. Props to you. Whereas actually typing out "hahaha" or what have you is genuine laughing at the keyboard.

While "lawl" is used in a sardonic or satirical manner, as are most other acronyms and Internet shorthand.

Comment

I'm not sure how YOLO or CMOS are "cutesy-poo" in any manner.
                      I thought my following statement indicated that was a joke...

YOLO however I don't find any more or less cutesy than LOL/ROFL/RAFT. It's just a silly acronym.

Comment

I, too, tend to view "LoL" as an acknowledgement that something humorous was said as opposed to an indication that I'm actually laughing.

Comment

YOLO is contemptible not only for being ridiculous sounding, but being an asinine reason for doing anything.
                          Worse than that: it's a great reason for doing exactly the opposite of what people tend to present it as a reason for. If you only live once, surely that's a reason to be cautious and avoid unnecessary risks.
                          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by bara View Post
                            YOLO- cant stand that one
                            I had to go look this one up. Thank whatever deities there may be for the Urban Dictionary.

Comment

I have a Dilbert cartoon on my office door that show the PHB putting a shovel full of work on D's desk. Everything was a top priority but the one on top was to identify all unknown and unused acronyms.
                              Everything with my boss is a top priority. He'll give me something to look at that "needs attention now" and then with the next breath ask about 14 other things that "needs attention now." He doesn't see the irony in it.
                              Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X