movie quote/song lyric status updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movie quote/song lyric status updates

I only hate them if the give no reference as to what it is.

If you quote something, use quotation marks, and or give a source.

I don't watch much television, or movies, and my music selection isn't "top 40"(well not from this decade anyway), so when someone posts something that out of context is horrifying for them(violent or suicidal depression like), I usually ask what's up? can I help? They then spend about 20 minutes berating me for not psychically knowing "it's only a line from the best movie/tv show/song evar111!!!" And then proceed to discuss said movie/show/song with other commentors, and never actually MENTION what the heck it is. It's.....aggravating. And one of the reasons I spend more time on twitter and maybe check FB once every few days.
    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Hmmm, I don't think I've ever run into that on Facebook. Sometimes people post quotes but my friends usually put quotation marks around it, or sometimes it's a lyric from some popular song (I usually listen to NPR at home but my son loves pop music so we listen to the pop station in the car). That's weird people would do that and then be asses about it. I even know people who haven't seen Star Wars, but I'm not going to tear them down because of that. People watch/read/listen to different stuff.

Comment

I've actually done lyrics status updates...

But I preface each line with a note (♫♪) to show it's singing. And I include a link back to the song or the artist's page.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I post song lyric statuses all the time, but they're in quotes.

And even if someone posted like "are you okay," well, I'm not just quoting that bit if it's sad or whatever because I like the song, so...
        "And I won't say "Woe is me"/As I disappear into the sea/'Cause I'm in good company/As we're all going together"

Comment

A very recent FB had me quoting this line without quotation marks:

I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this.
          No one seemed to have a problem with it.

Comment

That's because your status was something funny.

This is mostly about statuses that would cause friends or acquaintances to be concerned, then having their concern blown off with "it's just a quote, I can't believe you don't know it, it's from the most awesomest thing evar!" then going on to not even state what that awesome thing even is.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm guilty of that but most of my song quotes are fairly well known songs....

Comment

Something that you think is well-known can be completely foreign to someone who lives a different lifestyle. I was flabbergasted when I found out that my boss was completely unfamiliar with Smoke on the Water by Deep Purple.

Comment

I actually did that once. A friend who didn't know the song went "go on!" and I said it was a lyric. But we had a good laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
                    I'm guilty of that but most of my song quotes are fairly well known songs....
                    Originally posted by Nekojin View Post
                    Something that you think is well-known can be completely foreign to someone who lives a different lifestyle.
                    Yup I'll list a few bands that you can't turn on the radio station I listen to without hearing at least one of them, I would consider them well known, I'm wiling to bet most people here have never heard of most, if not all, of them(they're signed, and tour internationally)

Hollywood Undead
                    In this Moment
                    NonPoint
                    Bobaflex
                    Shinedown
                    VolBeat
                    Wayland
                    Halestorm
                    Royal Bliss(the singer was actually on the voice)
                    American Fangs
                    Firewater(been around for 17 years, 7 studio albums)
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                      Hollywood Undead
                      In this Moment
                      NonPoint
                      Bobaflex
                      Shinedown
                      VolBeat
                      Wayland
                      Halestorm
                      American Fangs
                      I... Think I've heard of 2 of those bands. And I couldn't name a single song they've done or recognize them by any. >_<

Your radio is not everybody's radio, and some people don't turn on the radio at all. I do CDs and Pandora/Grooveshark pretty much exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
                        Yup I'll list a few bands that you can't turn on the radio station I listen to without hearing at least one of them, I would consider them well known, I'm wiling to bet most people here have never heard of most, if not all, of them(they're signed, and tour internationally)

Hollywood Undead
                        In this Moment
                        NonPoint
                        Bobaflex
                        Shinedown
                        VolBeat
                        Wayland
                        Halestorm
                        American Fangs
                        NonPoint is really big here, but they seem like they're trying too hard to be SoaD.

Shinedown is going to be in concert here soon with Papa Roach as one of their opening acts. I always thought it would be the other way around.

I'm surprised no one turned around for Neal Middleton on Season 2. A friend of mine made it all the way to the finals but lost that season. It was a competitive season.
                        Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Not a sausage on any of those bands, but I also don't listen to radio or have a TV, all new music I get is via random YouTube music videos, possibly from a side bar after a specific search, those though end up being songs from the same era of a 90's tail end post grunge band I was looking for.

And even if I was big on radio, well UK radio is not the same as American radio or anywhere in Europe, the station of choice at work was Kiss FM, so if it wasn't clubbing music, it wasn't played, bohemian rhapsody could make it back to Christmas number one, but unless there was a dance mix, it would not get played.

which segues into
                          Sometimes they are the first link in a lyric chain, Rhapsody gets a lot of those.

I by association was on the receiving end of a text message that turned out to be a quote from "I believe in a thing called love." but I never paid attention to the lyrics at the time and tbh was not a fan so didn't pick up on the line when he showed me a text he sent to a girl he was semi teaching to drive, given his past record with being a bit too odd, she may not have seen it as a song quote but more about him and her and driving, perhaps hinting towards more, I would have to Google the lyrics to be sure.

My most recent status update was in Korean, I was mucking about with Google translate and having already gotten Ginger Tea in the more westernised Japanese script (to read aloud as jinja te not to be a translation) I managed to get the jin and tea part down (going by the audio cues) but jer and jah were failing to bring up a suitable Hangul option, till I struck the idea of pasting the Japanese in and translating to Korean all I had to do was take off a - symbol and it worked, so I C+P'd that right into farce book and it's remained ignored, which I like, no one even questioned my status change to divorced seeing as I've not had a relationship for over a decade.
                          Last edited by Ginger Tea; 06-22-2013, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Radio station here only plays like 2 bands from that list. Shinedown and Volbeat. Its typically:

Shinedown
                            Volbeat
                            Papa Roach
                            Avenged Sevenfold
                            Three Days Grace
                            Nirvana
                            POD
                            Five Finger Death Punch
                            Green Day
                            Offspring

My roommate has satellite radio, for now, and they play random bands all the time that just have one hit and they are done.

Comment

Our rock station is pretty similar except you need to throw in a seriously overplayed Metallica song in after every 3rd or 4th song.
                              Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Working...
                              X