Autoplay Video Ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autoplay Video Ads

Can these ads get anymore annoying? Popups are bad enough, ads that follow you around are even worse, but these video ads are not just annoying, they cause lag and fucks with my Norton security suite (being an unknown program and all). I used to enjoy browsing TvTropes, but since they put those damn videos at the bottom, it causes my internet to crash so I can no longer browse for more than 5 minutes at a time. All because the advertisers have to be assholes.

Adblock? I may have to wait forever and a day to watch videos on certain sites *cough*Blip*cough*, but at least I don't get the random ad videos elsewhere.
    I has a blog!

Comment

I'm starting to get annoyed enough to find a solution for these things.

One possibility is to just turn off flash and set it to manual allowance.

Have you written to TVTropes about them? The pages they appear on may not be aware that there are autoplay videos appearing on their site. Sometimes even the ad services are unaware. It's stupid, but it happens.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I use adblock, and whitelist sites I want to support, like certain blip providers and Channel Awesome in general. Helps me with it.

And AHHHG. those vids are half the reason I got adblock! I don't mind ads on youtube vids or such, but those autoplay vid ads...AHG.

Comment

I don't use ad blockers, yet when watching Hulu keep getting screens accusing me of blocking their ads.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            I don't use ad blockers, yet when watching Hulu keep getting screens accusing me of blocking their ads.
            I love getting that message between two ads.

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
              I'm starting to get annoyed enough to find a solution for these things.

One possibility is to just turn off flash and set it to manual allowance..
              Turning of Flash doesn't help all the time. I'm not sure what kind of embeded video they use as well as Flash, but it is damned annoying.
              Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Technically speaking my website has autoplay ads, but they're all ads pulled off of YouTube from the 80s and 90s (mostly video game related) to try and entertain people while I (slowly) rebuild the whole thing. It's even framed by the phrase, "after these messages we'll be right back."

Related more towards the topic, I generally only deal with autoplay ads when I'm watching a video online, in which case I tend to hit the mute key on my computer.
                "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Bloodsoul: Do you have the thoroughly silly Japanese live-action Zelda ad from the 80's?
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mewchVnrBUE

Comment

what's really annoyig is autoplay ads which can't be paused. asdfglksjdhjgflksg those are annoying.

Comment

If I run into an autoplay that can't be paused or muted, the page gets closed.

I don't care how much I wanted to see the content on it.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

^Likewise. I like to play my own music while I surf the web, and don't appreciate something else playing over it that I can't get rid of.

Comment

Those slide over ads and the "you're selection will start in 30 seconds" yeah those pages get closed asap.
                          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

agreed- I don't need to listen to that crap.

Comment

One I don't quite get are the boxes that pop up when you're reading one article suggesting another. They have a close box. All well and good; that means that if I click the close box I've seen the link and decided against opening it. But they not only don't go away completely (instead collapsing into a smaller version) but if I wait too long or scroll ar all, they come back.

Also, I've run into a few sites where clicking on links in the sidebar ALWAYS replaces the content of the current window/tab, even if I'm holding down the button to send it to a new one. What do they gain by blocking that feature?
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Working...
                              X