Idiots who blindly forward anything

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idiots who blindly forward anything

I haven't seen this in this thread but if it is a duplicate, I do apologize.

Had one person on FB (a chronic offender in this area) post a photo of a missing girl with the text reading something to the effect of "Please post this photo of this missing girl; I don't care where you are, please post and forward!"

Welllll ... why would I bother to forward it? You've given NO NAME, no area of the country (nor even which country) she's from, no indication where she was last seen, no description of what she was wearing when last seen, and NO PHONE NUMBER TO CALL IF I DO SEE HER. Sounds very much like a hoax, and one done by a very lazy hoaxer at that.

And yes, I did post that below the photo. Doubt it will change much, though, in terms of the poster's behaviour.

I saw one recently that was a real missing person who, thankfully, was found. Someone posted that in a comment, to which several responded angrily along the lines of "so what," as if letting everyone know he's OK and that there's no need to continue the search was somehow a BAD thing.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Wow, nice compassionate person!

I've willingly forwarded authentic missing persons notices, even though the chances of any of those people being in my neck of the woods are pretty remote. But ya never know ...

Comment

One of our employee's in a distant office had the habit of forwarding lots of "funny", "patriotic" and "Christian" emails to everyone in her address book. This is against company policy and I was tasked to inform her of such. I did so and she continued, after the second warning and failure to stop I put her email on a supervised status meaning they had to be approved before distribution. When she would send the unauthorized emails I setup a hammer respond and it would send it back to her 100 times for every person she send it. It didn't take many iterations of this before she caught on.
        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

There's a few million people that would love to know how to set up a "hammer respond" to spammers!

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            I saw one recently that was a real missing person who, thankfully, was found.
            This is why the first thing I do is run a quick Google Search on the person's name. So far I'm batting a thousand on these people having been found.

My personal favorite was the one that had been posted as a "OMFG! This poor, poor girl was abducted by her father! Boo hoo hoo!" on Facebook turned out to be a case from 1994. I found her on Google News laughing about it since she was found a week later by police, was returned to her mother, grew up, went to college, got a job and is now a mother herself.

So I've yet to forward any of the ones that have crossed my screen.

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
            When she would send the unauthorized emails I setup a hammer respond and it would send it back to her 100 times for every person she send it. It didn't take many iterations of this before she caught on.
            Nicely done. I'll have to remember that trick.
            “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

The sad part is, a lot of these "idiots" are smart people otherwise. My brother graduated second in his class, and it took me several tries before I finally convinced him that there is no such thing as an "email tracking device", and that he wasn't going to get free beer for forwarding emails.
              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

One that was making the rounds on the weekend on Facebook was that, "I hereby state that I own the rights to my stuff" crap.
                It's a load of gibberish and has absolutely no legal bearing, since we already accepted the Terms of Service when we signed up.
                On June 25, 2013, by making full use of my mental faculties and my ownership of this account in Facebook, I declare, to whom it may concern, and in particular to the administrator of the company Facebook, my author rights which are related to all my personal information, comments, texts, articles, illustrations, comics, paintings, photos, professional videos and other publications in electronic format that I spread on this site under my signature. The above on the basis of the principle enshrined in the Berne Convention for the protection of literary and artistic works, as well as with regard to the respective national copyright law. For commercial use of the aforementioned items, always must be by my written consent. By this statement, I give notice to Facebook it is strictly forbidden to disclose, copy, distribute, or take any other action against me based on this profile and/or its contents. These prohibited actions also apply to employees, students, agents or members of any team, under the direction or control of Facebook. The content of this profile is private and confidential information. The violation of privacy can be punished by law (UCC 1-308 - 1 1 308-103 and the Rome Statute).

Note: Facebook is now a public entity. All members must post a note like this. If you prefer, you can copy and paste this version. If you do not publish a statement at least once, it will be tactically allowing the use of your photos, as well as the information contained in the profile status updates. Do not share; copy and paste
                http://www.thatsnonsense.com/view.php?id=1641
                Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Of course, there's a Snopes page on it, too.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/facebook/privacy.asp
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, but don't you know that snopes is run by some Obama loving liberal who slants everything to their own political views?
                    That's what I get told any time I use it as a reference to debunk the latest myth about Obamacare or whatever.
                    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                      Oh, but don't you know that snopes is run by some Obama loving liberal who slants everything to their own political views?
                      Really? I thought it was run by a "Dubya" Bush loving conservative who slants everything to their own political views.

At least that's what I was told when I used it as a source to debunk the wild and crazy things they said about him and 9/11.
                      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

and that is when you know something is definitely independant of political bias. when BOTH sides accuse it of being biased towards the other side.

Comment

Man, some people are stupid.
                          I have this friend who posts every conspiracy theory going, as long as it paints Obama in a bad light.

There's this picture that I've seen a hundred times or more, of Obama and his wife, supposedly pledging allegiance to the flag with their left hands over their right chest.
                          It's been proven that it's a photoshop, because the original picture can be found with the Associated Press watermark and copyright, along with the name of the photographer and date taken.
                          On the fact check site, there was even a CBS news video at one time, that showed the original event, and proved that the image had been reversed.
                          The faker was pretty good, in that they took the time to photoshop the wedding rings in, and even switch his suit buttons over.
                          They forgot that Michelle parts her hair on the other side, and the soldier in the background has his medals on the wrong side of his jacket, though.

This person has posted it before, and every time she posts it, I link to the fact check site with the proof that it's fake, as well as to the original image.

She just posted it again, and I did the same again. One of her friends obviously didn't read my comment or look at the proof, and he commented and said, "Please tell us that it is a reversed image."
                          I posted and said that it was, and that he should check out the proof I provided.
                          She ignored my comment and replied to the guy, "It may be, Mike, but I don't know...I've seen it too many times."

Just because she has seen an obviously photoshopped image too many times, it must be true, even though the actual, unretouched photo also exists??? The AP news photo on the AP site must be the fake???!!!

Good grief!
                          How stupid do people get?

Oh, and that "I revoke all Facebook rights to my material" thing came up again this week, and people are posting it. This time, it starts out with a claim that it was on some news show that you have to post that, or risk having all your stuff shared.

My SIL posted it, and I pointed out that it was a fake, with links to the proof, as well as a reminder that she had already agreed to FB's terms of service when she signed up.
                          She replied that she thought it was maybe fake, but figured she would share it anyway.
                          WTF???
                          Point to Ponder:

Comment

Yeah... Someone posted the old "Don't flash your headlights at someone with no headlights on because it's a Bloods member out to kill" thing on Facebook the other day. Really? That is one of the oldest hoaxes going. I didn't even care enough to post a link to snopes this time. I just rolled my eyes and moved on. ETA: I have cousins who have been posting the "I revoke fb rights
                            " thing lately. Me? I just shake my head and ignore it, because I know better.

Comment

I ask people why they're spreading spam.

They get confused for a bit, then either defriend me or do it less often.

Either way, it's a win for me.
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                              X