Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas

No, I don’t mean the state. I mean being in conversations with people that are completely ignorant of it. You know, the type of people that believe it’s essentially a foreign country of Republicans, looks like a mix of Dallas sets and wild frontier, and everyone sounds like the conservative test tube child of JR Ewing, Matthew McConaughey, and Owen Wilson. Do you know how many times I’ve been told I don’t have an accent? That would be several hundred times past Michael Douglas Falling Down levels of irritation.

You know what Texas is? Flippin huge with a diverse population and the political machinations of New York. 70% of the population lives in the triangle of urban areas bounded by Dallas-Ft. Worth, San Antonio, and Houston and most of that population is liberal and doesn’t sound particularly different from people in LA or New York except fewer Jersey accents (thank god.) That doesn’t count the urban population of El Paso, Abeline, and Brownsville (home of the car-related near death experience.) You’re talking a state that alternately looks like Wetland, plains, steppe, hill country, beach, or forest in lakes just depending on where you drop your finger on a map.

Why does everyone think it’s the haven of the evangelical and the NeoCon? Because after one auspicious election, they redrew the election maps and the rest of the country just went “hmm” as the Republicans engineered an unloseable map in a state whose population encompasses at least 3 New York cities. Could other states have filed amicus briefs on the behalf of Texas Democrats? Sure, but they didn’t because New York, Illinois, and California do the same things to Republicans in their states. Why fight that battle when you can just hit Texas Democrats up for money every election cycle which is exactly how the party has operated in Texas over the last decade. Want to know what an Urban population looks like when its run by rural areas with disproportionate representation? How about when a national party sells out its base? Howdy Pardners!

See, I don’t blame people for being ignorant of other States. I haven’t the slightest idea what it’s like to live in Delaware, North Dakota, or Oregon. The thing is, most people don't bring those states up constantly either for whatever odd tangential laws they've enacted. But my head does a Linda Blair Exorcist spin trick when I’m consistently on sites (not particularly this board) or in places where I have to listen to people pop off about Texas which they do because it’s A) Huge, B) Has a large population, C) read a blog post written by someone from Boston.

Look genius, if you have a problem with the politics or the people of the state, pour your money in to fixing it rather than taking the money out and starving the progressive base that is there (Austin is NOT an aberration.) Get that you’re dealing with a political/media machine that made George W. Bush from Connecticut look like a Texan and Wyatt Cenac and Steve Martin look like they were from New York and California respectively. Seriously, buddy your thoughts on the fictional country called Texas are just annoying.

/RantOff

Weeee. That was fun.

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
    But my head does a Linda Blair Exorcist spin trick when I’m consistently on sites (not particularly this board) or in places where I have to listen to people pop off about Texas which they do because it’s A) Huge, B) Has a large population, C) read a blog post written by someone from Boston.
    Do you have the same issue when it's discuss as the state that decides what goes into textbooks for the entire nation?

As for the rest, I know your pain. I live near Los Angeles, and it's... amusing what sorts of stereotypes people get into their heads about the area.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Do you have the same issue when it's discuss as the state that decides what goes into textbooks for the entire nation?
      Yes and no. I get why people should be interested in what goes on in Texas when it personally effects them, but it becomes obnoxious when it usually comes without context. The cause of that book problem is that local progressives can't fight both local and national conservatives and the national progressives don't get involved because doing so or talking about gerrymandering opens up powder kegs like New York and Illinois. So essentially they picked a poison and take it out on Texas and as a progressive you feel both left behind and demonized at the same time. Texas isn't really the problem, it's a symptom of hyperpartisanship that also results in several solid blue states.

Essentially, liberals need to be concerned about the outcome of every Texas election and not just the the ones where local Texas progressives threaten to stop funding the national party. The map needs to get redrawn. We're not even talking about Wendy Davis or textbooks without that problem.
      Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 06-26-2013, 09:18 PM.

Comment

doesn’t sound particularly different from people in LA or New York except fewer Jersey accents (thank god.)
        See, I don’t blame people for being ignorant of other States.
        Speaking of ignorant statements about other states...

Do you even know what a New Jersey accent sounds like? If you are mentioning it and thanking God you guys don't have one, you probably haven't spoken to someone from here.

And why do people associate Texas as being total Republican? Because Texas electoral votes hasn't gone to a Democrat since 1976. Because all we hear about is crazy conservative stuff from Texas. When was the last time we heard something like "Texas Rep. proposes legalization of gay marriage" or "Texas Senator pushes for equal rights" or ANY liberal topic?
        Last edited by Greenday; 06-26-2013, 09:39 PM.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

*Most* of the complaints and virtual eyerolls I've seen about Texas aren't about its people, but about the way it's governed, which judging by your post is a fair complaint to make.
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

One, New Jersey was a joke. And two, I currently reside in New York. Yes, I've heard the accent.

If you're offended, I am sorry that what I said was offensive. Personally I intended it as a silly throwaway line and push come to shove I actually like New Jersey. That said, I rarely receive the same consideration when someone slaps on their Texas accent which they adopted from Sling blade which isn't even the right place.

Comment

One, New Jersey was a joke. And two, I currently reside in New York. Yes, I've heard the accent.

If you're offended, I am sorry that what I said was offensive. Personally I intended it as a silly throwaway line and push come to shove I actually like New Jersey. That said, I rarely receive the same consideration when someone slaps on their Texas accent which they adopted from Sling blade which isn't even the right place.
              I'm just sick of people calling New Yorker's accents New Jersey. It gets quite annoying.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Even though I'm not native to this state I get where you're coming from. I'm from California, so when I first moved here I had a very specific idea of Texas. Good ol' boys and racism. While I have seen that, I've also seen that that's not even the majority of the state. Just the loudest.

Now, me, I have a whole other problem: dealing with California stereotypes (don't get me wrong, I've been bad and played it to my advantage sometimes). No, we don't all talk with those lame "Valley" voices or like that dumb SNL skit. In my entire life in California I've never heard anyone *seriously* talk like that. Ever. Yet my New Mexico friend always does that stupid voice when talking about CA.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  "Texas Senator pushes for equal rights"
                  http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-...is-filibuster/

Comment

Did this get added after the accent discussion? In any case, I didn't see it.

And why do people associate Texas as being total Republican? Because Texas electoral votes hasn't gone to a Democrat since 1976. Because all we hear about is crazy conservative stuff from Texas. When was the last time we heard something like "Texas Rep. proposes legalization of gay marriage" or "Texas Senator pushes for equal rights" or ANY liberal topic?
                    Two things that I essentially allude to in my post or I notice now that I'm outside of the state. There's no real reporting so to speak of liberal events in the state. Wendy Davis? I've seen that before but just not on issues that get blogged about. Usually it comes to schooling or the procedural things like the Killer D's. They're there though if you care to actually follow political blogging based in Texas. Will the NYT, CNN, Fox News, or Huffpost cover it? Probably not but its writing staff is oriented on the coasts which isn't entirely uncommon.

Let me give you an example of that style of reporting on the blogosphere. What happened? Well, no one reported on Pflugerville's progressive position, they reported the Senator. If I were not from Texas and had not followed the story from the inception, my only take away is "bigot" and Texas.

Here's an example of a same sex marriage bill trying to get a hearing in a Republican dominated legislature. You'll see it was also tried in February. Didn't hear about it? Well that doesn't shock me not because you're the problem, but because again it's just not reported outside of Texas. The result of this style is, because no one knows what's going on, liberals don't get fired up within the state and conservatives do. They know far more because they're paying attention and the funding and infrastructure of the party isn't gutted due to national neglect.

That's the issue, liberals in Texas are an island unto themselves. They have to fight local and national Republican money, the Republicans have built districts that benefit them, and as a liberal your money goes out to the national party and doesn't come back. So you really can't compete. You're financing elections locally against a national party. Then if they make the mistake of only following national news (which is what a lot of less politically inclined do) they feel disinclined to vote since they have no idea what initiatives their side had, but plenty of idea what conservatives got away with. It doesn't work.
                    Last edited by D_Yeti_Esquire; 06-28-2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

All I'm gonna say is political agendas and cowboy/JR Ewing stereotypes aside, Texas is an awesome place to live, be it Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                        When was the last time we heard something like "Texas Rep. proposes legalization of gay marriage" or "Texas Senator pushes for equal rights" or ANY liberal topic?
                        Wendy Davis, Texas state senator who filibustered an anti-abortion bill successfully in special session just this week.

That's the issue, liberals in Texas are an island unto themselves. They have to fight local and national Republican money, the Republicans have built districts that benefit them, and as a liberal your money goes out to the national party and doesn't come back. So you really can't compete. You're financing elections locally against a national party. Then if they make the mistake of only following national news (which is what a lot of less politically inclined do) they feel disinclined to vote since they have no idea what initiatives their side had, but plenty of idea what conservatives got away with. It doesn't work.
                        North Carolina Republicans have studied Texas and working very hard to implement this kind of governance here where I live.

Originally posted by dendawg View Post
                        All I'm gonna say is political agendas and cowboy/JR Ewing stereotypes aside, Texas is an awesome place to live, be it Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, El Paso, etc.
                        Dallas was cool.

Houston sucks. Sorry. Been there on a travel job. Hated it, would never go back.
                        Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Simple answer: Texas is viewed that way because that view is all Texas exports onto the world stage. Its an uphill battle to argue otherwise when you have Rick Perry sitting there. ><

Comment

Now this brings up a fair question: if Texas supposedly *isn't* the way it appears, how is it you keep going for Republican presidential and gubernatorial candidates? You cannot blame either of those on redistricting.
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Actually technically there have been more Democrat (39) governors than Republican (6), with the last two occurring in '95 (Bush) and 2000 (Perry). Ann Richards (D) was governor at the start of the 90's.
                              There's a lot of Republicans here that are disenchanted with Perry. They think he's an idiot. They don't like some of his immigration policies. Does that mean they'll vote for a Democrat in 2014? I don't know. Maybe Kinky will run again.

Comment

Working...
                              X