Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"I made a mistake" aka I commited a crime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I made a mistake" aka I commited a crime!

In the last couple of years, it seems that every time some big shot (politician, athlete, prominent attorney, judge, or other celebrity) gets nailed for doing something illegal, unethical, immoral or any combo of those, they issue a statement that "they made a mistake" and it drives me CRAZY.

No. You made a CHOICE. You chose to break a law, break a promise, break your marriage vows, or whatever. You did not accidentally drive too fast and crash into some family's minivan, you were ignoring speed limits because you CHOSE to. You didn't accidentally sleep with your spouse's best friend....you CHOSE to.

A mistake is buying the wrong size shirt, or the can of regular baked beans when you thought you were grabbing the vegetarian ones (you get the idea). A mistake is something you do unintentionally. People don't unintentionally embezzle, or murder, or steal, etc. Whatever their reasons are, they make a choice to take a certain action and do it. It doesn't "just happen that way."

I just get so sick of hearing people explain away their illegal and/or immoral acts by saying they "made a mistake." It's an attempt to downplay it and make excuses intead of taking responsibility and paying the price.

*And yes, I understand that accidents happen. I'm talking about some people who admit that they actually did whatever they are accused of.

See, you're taking it the wrong way.

They're not calling whatever it was they did wrong a mistake. The mistake was whatever it was that got them caught.
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I would also throw in the 'but I didn't mean for that to happen' phrase as well.

Comment

Why do you want to redefine "mistake" to include only accidents, when the longstanding standard definition includes poor judgment?
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          Why do you want to redefine "mistake" to include only accidents, when the longstanding standard definition includes poor judgment?
          Because all too often when politicians use the term, they intend it to mean an accident, in order to defend their actions.

Mistakes happen. Drunk driving and striking a pedestrian is certainly a mistake in the sense that I'm sure the driver didn't intend to hit someone, but it's still an inexcusable mistake caused by poor judgement. Yet, when someone makes a speech and insincerely says "it was a mistake" with crocodile tears, as if to say "let's move on" it makes it ingenuine.

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
            It may be poor judgement in that they shouldn't have done it, but I don't think that's the way they mean it. You have to look at the context. The phrase is usually used in a statement issued by a representative of the person who screwed up: An attorney, a publicist or some such. Sometimes the screw-up says it themselves. To me it always comes off like they're trying to deflect blame, lessen the consequences, and make it sound like they really had no idea that they shouldn't have done whatever it was.

If someone's going to admit they did the deed, wouldn't it be more appropriate just to say, "I did this, and I shouldn't have. I knew it was wrong. I apologize and I will take full responsibility for it," instead of trying to make the whole thing sound less serious than it is? At least, I know that I would have more respect for a person who said that.

Comment

They are not, though, using it as a synonym for accident. *You* claimed, essentially, that only that use would be correct. Instead, they are using "mistake" to mean "mistake." Now, they may well be lying or they may not be; it's impossible to tell without going into a specific instance and, most likely, knowing more about it than we do. But that's a wholly separate issue from claiming they're misusing a word when they're not.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

The problem with politicians using the term mistake, even if they use it correctly (and they do) is that they imply that mistakes don't matter, and should be forgiven and forgotten.

Most mistakes should be. But some shouldn't. That a politician makes a mistake by having sex with a woman not his wife does not, by virtue of having made a mistake, absolve him from accountability or repercussion.

What I want to see from the Weiner's, and his ilk, is evidence that they have learned from their mistakes. I seldom see it.
                Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

Poor choice/decision, bad choice/decision or stupid choice/decision should be what they use. Admit what you did, apologize to those that were wronged, make real amends (if possible) and move on. Do not keep apologizing as that weakens the initial apology. Folks will either forgive you or not. Do not harbor guilt forgive yourself as that will also pull you down but learn from your choice and do not repeat it. If punishment is deserved then take it like an adult and don't whine.
                  Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X