Paula Deen witch hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paula Deen witch hunt.

This is a parallel to the "Mistakes" thread (didn't want to threadjack).

Paula Deen. Makes a mistake and apologized for it 26 years ago. Now she's having it all stripped from her. No shows on Food Network, no corporate endorsements, no product placements, publishers are not doing her next book, others are saying that they don't plan on reprinting any of her previous cookbooks...

Yet at the same time, Alec Baldwin gets hardly any notice for his twitter comments regarding George Stark.

"I'm going to find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I am going to fuck you up."

http://www.chicagonow.com/families-i...n-blacks-gays/

So why does Alec get to bash a homosexual reporter the day after DOMA was shut down and get to keep his celebrity status while Paula gets vilified for making a comment 26 years ago about someone who shoved a gun in her face?
    “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

From my Facebook:

I have been seeing all these messages of support for Paula Deen in my newsfeed, with comments comparing her to other "racists" who got away with it, and claiming double standards. There are calls to boycott the companies that have now dropped her like a hot potato. I had seen short blurbs here and there, but I didn't really understand what it was all about. Because I had always liked Paula, I just decided to reserve judgment until I had the facts.

Now that I have seen the court documents with the allegations, I honestly don't know how anybody can say, "Oh well, it was a racist word uttered 30 years ago in a different time, and really, who hasn't used the word?"

What I am reading in the document is absolutely disgusting.

It's about more than the use of the "N" word, and these people who are defending her really need to do their research before commenting.
    There is racism, sexism, sexual harassment, battery, and a completely hostile workplace involved in the issue.

Allegedly, there were separate bathrooms for black and white staff, and women were held back from success.
    Paula allegedly said, after promoting a white woman on her staff, "And now I'm going to do something I have never done — I am going to put a woman in a man's job."

Here is the actual court document listing the incidents in question. http://multimedia.savannahnow.com/media/030612Deen.pdf

A lot of it is directed more at Paula's brother, Bubba Hiers, but the lawsuit claims that Paula was aware of all of it, and by her inaction, has condoned it. In fact, there is an accusation that her brother, in a rage, assaulted a black cook in his restaurant, and Paula smoothed things over by inviting the employee to her mansion for dinner.

Her publicists have been trying to tone it all down by saying it was a word uttered 30 years ago when she was being robbed at gunpoint, but the lawsuit alleges more recent racial slurs.

One incident goes back to 2007, where she was asked about a theme for a wedding, and she allegedly said, "What I would really like is a bunch of little n******s to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties. You know in the Shirley Temple days, they used to tap dance around. Now, that would be a true Southern wedding wouldn't it?"

So, yeah, people who are asking "What's the big deal?" and claiming, if Wal-Mart has dropped her, then they need to remove all their rap music from the rack because they contain the same sentiments, really need to take a step back and ask if this is a horse they want to back.

What's the big deal?
    I'm sorry, but it is a big deal, as I see it.

Here is a link to the deposition as well.
    http://savannahnow.com/deposition-paula-deen
    Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

Ok, that as may be...but what's the difference between her and her comments and Alec Baldwin's?

His comments are as insensitive as hers are/were and in my opinion even more so. His actually involve several threats towards a gay man as well as entreating his followers to do likewise.

So why isn't he getting the same backlash as Paula Deen. I was admittedly unaware of the full extent of it but my underlying point is still the same. Why is one person getting vilified for her comments while someone else it getting a "Meh." reaction?
      “There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do.” - Sylvester McCoy as the Seventh Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ree
        Who's telling the truth?
        There's the old adage that says "There are three sides to every story. One's side, the other's side and the truth."

We may never know.

Comment

(Sorry, rather than edit the post and add another, I combined them and now it has put your previous post out of context. Whoops!)

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
          Ok, that as may be...but what's the difference between her and her comments and Alec Baldwin's?
          Quite frankly, I think Alec Baldwin deserves a good kick in the nuts!
          He's a pompous ass with a short fuse who has a history of mouthing off and getting a free pass. (The time he called his daughter a "little pig".)
          I really don't know why he keeps getting a pass for his comments and actions.

I had also added this as a comment to my previous FB post.

Oh, I agree that the media has jumped all over the Paula Deen issue, while giving others a pass.
          Racism is racism. Sexism is sexism. Assault is assault. No matter who is doing it.
          I think Paula has had to work a little harder to stay ahead of the bad press all along because of her penchant for butter laden, artery clogging recipes, and then, when she came clean about her diabetes, she was crucified in the press.

Sometimes, it's just a slow news week, and there's no telling what story is going to start the bandwagon going.

These charges were brought forth in 2011, but it's all just hitting the fan now because of the slow wheels of justice. Depositions are just now being taken.

Something I do find interesting is that, under the law, the plaintiff in this case is white, and as such, apparently has no legal standing to make the race discrimination charge. Her black coworkers, however were free to make those charges.

Paula's lawyers dropped the ball by neglecting to file a motion to dismiss that aspect of the charges, and so, she was left to answer to the question of whether she had ever used the "N" word, or whether she had made the comments about wanting an all black serving staff for the wedding.

Ultimately, that was the downfall of her empire. Wal-Mart, especially, will want to distance themselves from this because of recent bad press related to poor and unsafe conditions in overseas factories, and that whole issue coming pretty close to racist allegations on that front.

(Also, I have read since that, Ms. Jackson, who filed the lawsuit, considers herself 'African American adjacent.' because she has nieces who are half-black, and that is why she allegedly has a right to file for racial discrimination, but in reality, the children are the nieces of her partner, and they are not African American at all, but are actually half-Hispanic.)
          In fact, since I posted my previous comments, I have been reading about this Lisa Jackson who started the lawsuit.
          I have read that, only a couple of months before leaving the company, she had sent a letter claiming
          “When I came to work for this company as a person, I felt hopeless. I needed something, some opportunity that could provide me hope as an individual, as a woman, to make it on my own….I was stuck in an unhappy marriage because I had no other options….When I started working for Bubba, he gave me an opportunity that allowed me, over time, a freedom I have never experienced. He allowed me, for once in my life to take care of myself and for once have faith in myself as a person and as a woman to know that I could do it on my own…Since then, I have been given opportunities that I never thought possible, all because of you and Bubba.”
          I have also read that she came to Paula looking for $1.25 million dollars, and her lawyer warned them that they would go public with a smear campaign:
          ..[the] economic losses they [Ms. Deen and Mr. Hiers] will experience if we are caused to bring this matter to a public forum. ... Exposure of the racist and sexist culture of her corporate and personal life is going to permanently and irreparably damage the value of her brand.
          This is Lisa Jackson's deposition where she claims that she did not personally hear Paula use racial slurs.
          http://savannahnow.com/view-281-page...nst-paula-deen

So, now I am back on the fence again.

Who's telling the truth?
          Point to Ponder:

Is it considered irony when someone on an internet forum makes a post that can be considered to look like it was written by a 3rd grade dropout, and they are poking fun of the fact that another person couldn't spell?

Comment

I really don't care about this issue but...

Deen's being sued by a white woman for racial slurs? That the woman didn't even actually hear? Um...what?

That seems not right to me...
            I has a blog!

Comment

Yeah, when I first read the court papers and saw all the charges, I assumed they were backed up with evidence.
              Now, after reading through her deposition, I am beginning to scratch my head a bit.

Ms Jackson's claim is also that racism was prevalent in the company. She claims that black staff had to use bathrooms in the back and stay behind the scenes, while white staff used the front bathrooms and were allowed to be in the front end.

In the court papers she claimed she asked Paula about the wedding plans, and Paula used the "N" word, but in the deposition, she claims not to have personally heard Paula use the word.
              Point to Ponder:

Comment

Methinks someone is lying to the media...

And no one is surprised. At least until the media declares itself to be surprised at being taken in.
                I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo Skruddgemire View Post

So why isn't he getting the same backlash as Paula Deen. I was admittedly unaware of the full extent of it but my underlying point is still the same. Why is one person getting vilified for her comments while someone else it getting a "Meh." reaction?
                  I think it's because people are familiar with Baldwin and the fact he's a dick in real life, and so they've come to expect such asshattery from him. Paula Deen OTOH, projects a mothering image and this is the first time it's been publicly hit. Then she did a terrible job of apologizing, which just reinforced the bad impressions (can anyone say Tammy Faye?)

I'm not saying it's right that Baldwin can be a dick and not take a hit for it. But that's why the different reactions.
                  Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Comment

The trouble is in "alleged." The difference between what is known for certain to be true and what has been claimed is simply too vast. It's shameful that even public relations departments, much less individual people, can't reserve judgment either way until and unless they have *facts*.
                    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                      The trouble is in "alleged." The difference between what is known for certain to be true and what has been claimed is simply too vast. It's shameful that even public relations departments, much less individual people, can't reserve judgment either way until and unless they have *facts*.
                      Which begs the question of "What happens to Paula Deen if she wins the lawsuit?"

She's already been tried and convicted in the court of public opinion and many would say that her career's been executed.

Comment

As much as I don't think she'll win, she may want to consider suing various media and blogs for business losses incurred. "The press" has gotten extremely sloppy and lapse when it comes to reporting one side (generally the inflammatory one) to the point that while I don't think you could argue they are being untruthful in quoting, they are reporting one side to the point that it reads a very specific way. She can't sue any of the organizations that cut her loose unless they breached a contract.

Honestly, I don't trust anything that might outrage me at this point. I've just found sloppy reporting at the base of it too many times recently. As a member of the public though, I do think something needs to give in terms of making dishonest or sloppy journalism less profitable.

Comment

Paula is being sued because she has money. The woman suing her most likely said pay us or we'll leak this to the media. The media is always looking for something be outraged about and especially so when someone white has made a racial reference, is southern, famous, rich and isn't perceived as being "progressive." I bet one of the first checks the media did on Paula is to see whom she politically supports with or without money. Once that's settled as being "no one of them" break out the pitch-forks and torches we got a lynching to put on.
                          OK now we have a cause to be outraged and offended about, it our duty to destroy her in every sense, facts be damned because the facts are what we say they are.

Those fools at the Food Network and HGTV, et, al are so afraid of being thought of anything but all inclusive that they'll flat-out lie about some things. Lots of HGTV and DIY is produced locally to me. My wife being a landscape architect was hired to complete a job that another contractor walked off from. The wife found out the DIY people were dictating to the contractor as to who he had to work and what jobs they could do based upon their race. He finally got fed up and walked away, my wife came it and they were trying the same with her so one night she and the crew finished the job overnight and then there was nothing to film afterwords. TV production and management people are some of the most low down folks you could ever meet. Their word is no good and unless you've got deep pockets their written word is no good either.
                          Now Paula did use the n-word maybe as recently as 2007, does she use it frequently??? Who knows no one that I've heard so far has said so. Paula's biggest mistake was not keeping tight enough rein on her brother Bubba. At this point the damage is done, I'd step back from it all but my personal businesses and lay low on a national and state scene. Then after some time look for other business opportunities but I wouldn't include Bubba again for nothing.
                          Something else about the Food Network: I'm sick to death with these cooking competition shows. OE Iron Chef an OE IC-America was good to watch now it along with the other competition shows are jokes. Chopped stupid beyond belief. Unless you're home during the day they no longer cook for the viewers. Alton Brown is the best host on there by leaps an bounds. I like his nerdy approach to cooking with some Georgia good-old-boy thrown in. My favorite episode was when he made biscuits with his grand-mother. It makes me wish I could make biscuits with my beloved and sainted Mammaw one more time.
                          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                            Paula is being sued because she has money. <snip>
                            Paula's biggest mistake was not keeping tight enough rein on her brother Bubba.
                            I think you may be onto something there.
                            In reading through the court document with the allegations, it's Bubba's name coming up repeatedly, and not Paula's.
                            I just think Paula had the deeper pockets, and they knew Bubba was in debt to his sister anyway, so they went after the woman behind the empire.

Sadly, though, I think she knew what an ass he was, and wasn't reining him in at all, so that does make her guilty for looking the other way.
                            Point to Ponder:

Comment

Originally posted by Ree View Post
                              I think you may be onto something there.
                              In reading through the court document with the allegations, it's Bubba's name coming up repeatedly, and not Paula's.
                              I just think Paula had the deeper pockets, and they knew Bubba was in debt to his sister anyway, so they went after the woman behind the empire.

Sadly, though, I think she knew what an ass he was, and wasn't reining him in at all, so that does make her guilty for looking the other way.
                              I'm not defending her but I do feel for her. He had just got married when their parents were killed in car wreck. Bubba being a minor was her's to raise, so basically she's been his mother since his teenaged years. I think her biggest guilt is loving her brother too much and not making him grow up. I guess she promised her parents she'd take of him and that's commendable.
                              While I've never met either her nor him, Bubba comes across and kinda of a prev and I wouldn't be surprised if he was looking at porn and sharing it around, I wouldn't be surprised if he was hitting on the plaintif.
                              At what point do you tell an adult you're in business with it's enough stop. Either way the plaintif has successfully destroyed Paula Deen.
                              Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X