Tonsil Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonsil Stones

More annoying than anything, I suppose, but when you have them near-constantly, it all sort of adds up to consuming rage.

Tonisil stones, for you lucky people that have never had one, are pretty gross. Your tonsils aren't smooth, but wrinkled like raisins, and sometimes food can get caught in the wrinkles, where it calcifies (I can often see the stone on my tonsils with a flashlight; it's a big white lump). Tonsil stones can stick around for weeks before finally dislodging. Some people can push them out with a q-tip but I always end up gagging way before I can make contact with the damned thing. Having one feels like there is always something stuck in your throat, and if they are there long enough it can cause pain too. Mine only ever occur in my left tonsil, so it's common for my throat to hurt only on the left side. Eventually they dislodge themselves (I've always swallowed them involuntarily- but apparently if broken open, they smell awful; rotting food and all).

I had never heard of these things until 2 years ago. I had two stones in the space of a year, then they gradually became more frequent until now I have them almost constantly. Short of removing my tonsils (no way!) there's nothing to be done.

I'm being a big baby, I know, but I've had this one for four days and my throat hurts and I'm sick of it.

I get these a lot actually. Usually end up spitting them out. They do smell something awful.

I tend to try and get a toothbrush back there to dislodge them. Salt water gargles help a bit too.
    I has a blog!

Comment

There's a way to gargle that pretty much induces the gag reflex that is helpful with clearing these before they calcify and turn nasty.

I know your pain, because I have a hyperactive gag reflex that makes even just brushing my teeth difficult, and I have the same issue.
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'd never heard of such things before. Thank y'all for making me glad my tonsils were so bad they had to be removed when I was four.
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I don't remember it, but I'm pretty sure my tonsils were removed at a pretty young age.

Comment

Ohhh those! I know those things... I usually realise I have them when I first wake up. Though I think mine are usually small.

Comment

I use a glass straw someone gave me, with the suction bulb from an eyedropper. Gently put the opening of the straw over the lith and slorp it and gently pull it out. Beats the poke it with a chopstick that I used to do.

Comment

I think I had those in my late teens, 3 times tops, but at least twice.
                I just remember coughing up a bit and this white thing flying out, I don't know if I've had them since and might have swallowed them or drank them down without even knowing they were there.
                I had for the most part forgotten all about them till this thread.

Comment

Working...
                X