Stupid *new* words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid *new* words

I just screamed in the apartment because I saw it again that word "cray-cray" Where the f'ing hell did this word come from? I hate hearing it being said, I HATE seeing it written down. If you want to call something crazy then say it's crazy not that it's cray-cray. GAH

Anyone else have words that drive them nuts after hearing/seeing them enough times?

Hip Hop / Rap. The same place that words like Crunk came from.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Virtually any Japanese word that is along the lines of Kwai, although I have on occasion said "Sugoi" might be misspelt, which means great, but instead of saying it as "OH that's so great, it's super fantastic" I say it more as "Oh great, more shit landing on my life"
      But that was during my "Denwa Bango" means fucking cunt phase.

Cray by itself I can get, cray cray though, no. Dropping a syllable can work on some words, but when the shortened version is longer than the English one WTF

Comment

See I can get by with some Japanese words when they are being used correctly. It's the made up words that are moving into the language that drive me nuts. Crunk being one of them, the words "cray cray" for crazy, and and few others.

Hell I love when people make a whole sentence out of them and they get all flustered when I just stare at them and reply that I only speak English 100% fluently.

Comment

Welcome to the world of living languages.

Pop culture is always making up new words, or new ways to say the old ones. It happens constantly. It's just that with the proliferation of easy forms of communication, those new forms are reaching much farther then they did long ago.

A hundred years ago, it would have been contained within a smaller geographic region; now it's global.

"Cray-cray" may be a particularly annoying example of the effect, but in the right context, it's a perfectly cromulent word choice. In other words, I expect an informal blog to possibly refer to someone acting insane as cray-cray but would immediately think less of any news outlet doing the same, even about the same event.

That said, anyone using the word "irregardless" gets put on my list. >_>
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

It's not that I don't see it as a living language and one that develops. It's that people look dumb to me when they over complicate things such as calling someone/thing cray cray when it's easier to just say crazy.

Comment

Bling bling, swag, shawty, and a whole list of slang words people use to sound "cool".

Cray cray sounds especially stupid.

Comment

Cray-cray in particular is supposed to diminish the subject. It's a cutesy term that reduces the legitimacy of the person to whom it is directed. The second syllable re-inforces the "baby talk" nature of the term, while giving it additional weight when spoken over a single syllable.
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Luckily I don't hear that term often. Or ever. I guess don't know much about whatever aspect of pop culture that 'cray-cray' inhabits.

I never got the cutesy over-complicated shit either. My idiot ex-stepsister pretty much refused to use real words with her toddler. "Choo-choo". "Woof-woof". The one that infuriated me the most was 'meow-meow'. This is far longer and sounds much stupider than 'cat', and 'cat' doesn't even have any consonant combinations that might be difficult for a child to say (like 'train' - I loathe 'choo-choo' and never used it with my son, but I can see how kids would have trouble with the 'tr' combination).

Comment

If you were to peruse such highbrow fare as Perez Hilton or the like, you would run into such terms fairly regularly.

Comment

If I ended up being some poor sods dad I would talk to them in English from a very early age, baby talk has it's place, but most of it is just meant to be vocal training, Mama and Dada are not really words, they have become words as someone somewhere decided that a baby working on consonant vowel combinations (I think the phrase is false cognitives, but I could be wrong) meant that mama was the baby calling for its mother, what if that same baby was pointing at her mother and said do-do but had not nor did need changing because of poop and the word dodo was not already linked with poop.
                      would we be using dodo instead of mama?

I think my father child conversations would sound like one half of a possibly bizarre telephone conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                        Virtually any Japanese word that is along the lines of Kwai, although I have on occasion said "Sugoi" might be misspelt, which means great...
                        You spelled sugoi correctly, but you misspelled kawaii (which means cute.) =^_^=

Comment

Kids learn simple word meanings pretty early on, so 'mama' and 'dada' can really refer to the parents, since they hear other people refer to them as the baby's mommy and daddy etc. In other languages I'm sure they experiment with other combinations depending on what words refer to the parents (for instance, papa is much commoner in several languages other than English, so I'd bet children raised in those cultures use 'papa' much earlier than 'dada'). And children also learn quickly what actions will net them attention and praise, so they have an incentive to use 'mama' and 'dada' right there too.

I have always spoken to my son like a real person. If I use a word I think he doesn't understand, I pause and explain it to him. We have done this since he as born and he has a very, very complex vocabulary for his age. I'm a little afraid as he grows older that this might set him apart from other children his age since they won't understand some of what he says, but we'll see.

Comment

We as parents reinforce that Mama means mother and Papa Dada mean father, a baby with no mother could still call out mama, not looking for a mother figure, but perhaps a rattle or blanket or whatever word association is affirmed in it's limited vocabulary.

A Japanese baby probably says Mama a few times, but the mother does not piss herself with joy and affirm the word's use.

Hell one pet advert I read about once had a dog that could only be homed to a welsh speaker, why it's not as if dogs speak now is it?
                            Well that is true, but the owner only ever spoke welsh so all trained actions like sit stay beg etc were welsh words and it would be a disobedient dog to anyone else trying to get it to sit.
                            My brother got his dog to sit with the Italian which was something like asereo de suto, which I mangled but received a prompt sit down with "I say do you do Sudoku?" but although it is spelt that way im sure I say it Suduko more times than not, Ubuntu Linux gets mangled by me on the keyboard way too often, so I just call it Umbongo (they drink it in the congo).

In my defence I have an aversion to Kawaii and although you understood it enough to get the word, it's low on my list to get right (sugoi was a fluke as I don't normally type it).

I am only just able to hear the word OK (which Yogscast's sips says a tonne) without twitching as one coirker would say that after telling him how to do something or anything and him to totally NOT get it.
                            And white guys going Bruv, it was damn near the 4th word out of one guys mouth.

Edit:
                            My code word for taking the dog on a walk... I saw this a few months ago and forgot to look for it before posting.
                            The poster asked why he got a tonne of new hit's for an old video, I couldn't remember what search terms I was using as I don't go looking for funny dog videos (or that phrase) but one of the replies sorted that out, it was on a bbc3 TV show Russell Howards Good news, he sometimes reuses random YouTube clips like Liquid Ass and this guy on crutches with a metal bar on his crotch thwacking a gymnastic bar.
                            Last edited by Ginger Tea; 07-18-2013, 11:20 PM.

Comment

For some reason I keep getting reminded of that scene in South Park where Chef and Mr. Garrison are talking about how black people kept having to change the term for house to the point where it became "flippity floppity floop" then Mr. Garrison goes "Come on Mr. Slave, let's go back to our flippity floppity floop."

As for stupid slang, if you go back about 20-ish years or so, words like "bomb" "trippin" etc. were the stupid slang of their time.

Comment

Working...
                              X