Trolling "Celebrity" charity auctions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling "Celebrity" charity auctions

A video gaming channel has partnered up with a disabled video gamers charity to raise funds for equipment by auctioning off 6' minecraft avatars of about 9 of their members all but two signed as they were delivered straight to Insomnia and then packed up again for the auction and the main channel duo didn't attend said event.

One member posted a video about the auction who its for what its about and asked if they could get the ball rolling with a few bids, without getting an exact quote it was more a case of "if they see activity its likely it will get the real bids going."

Sadly it seems some of his younger and more naïve fan base took it to heart and the bid currently stands at £3,600 (it was 3,900 last I looked but there have been retractions of £4k and £8,800), what should have been lets just get it to £50-100 quid before the adults take over now means that unless these hoax bids are removed now, it will sell for £150 the last legitimate bid.

One bidder bid against him or herself (with no hidden automatic bids) between £150 and £380, how can you do that? I can see it if someone put in a max bid of £500 and each time they bid they were subsequently outbid, but no hidden bids were to be found when selected.

I wasn't going to bid on either avatar but even if I was I would set myself a limit and as by the time I found out about it his one was well over double my £500 hypothetical max, I wouldn't follow the auction too closely.

Over a decade ago Graham Norton was selling "Tiny Tim" a candle of a very flaccid penis from a clone your bone kit an audience member had volunteered to try, he couldn't perform to the task and was the mockery of a few weeks whilst the auction went on.
    It too had troll bids, it turned out a 6th form had indulged in a bidding war over it during one lunch break and the shows producers tracked down the school and teachers told them in no uncertain terms that their winning bid would be valid and they would have to pay, this might have just been a scare tactic, but the charity price plummeted by the end.
    Those willing to pay more were priced out early and when the prices were reset well they had stopped looking.

Well it's had a tonne of fake bids taken down, it's now £600 or so, that's a lot better than it getting £150-200 the last legit bid before the same 3 or so people had their bidding war should they have remained the whole auction.

Comment

Working...
    X