Bosses Lying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosses Lying

I figured this would be too hot button for the main site. This is lying on a professional level, like a boss or manager. While I do understand that there is a totem pole (or as I moreso call it, a caste system) of salaried/higher up people versus hourly pissons, to me, it doesn't really show professionalism or integrity to flat out lie to someone below you, especially when it isn't hard to find out the truth. If my job could be on the line for lying about something, why isn't theirs? Little white lies to manipulate the grunts are just one of the reasons right now why morale is dipping lower than men's necklines in current fashion. Shit you not.

One supervisor a month or so ago flat out lied because she didn't feel like doing something. What it was, long story short, was I was sent back to the other side of the factory to help their struggling area (where I used to work, and no, don't even ask me how helping the front end gets work out the back end faster) and the weeks ended up going by, meanwhile my current area and shift was struggling with the turnover of losing my mistake (ex, I refuse to call him ex boyfriend), the whiney girl that moved across the hall departments, and the usual batch of temps that quit within a week or two. Anywho, when our regular shift lead was gone for a weekend, my friend who is his backup and not afraid to take risks, went above supervisor level and up to our manager and said "We NEED blas back. Can I please call and ask for her to come back?" Manager didn't even realize I was still stuck over there and said absolutely, call me back to work in my regular area that next day.

Next day came. Our regular boss and manager were off. This idiot supervisor was filling in, and I was called back, but not an hour passed and the other area's supervisor was stomping into the office screaming that I was still needed over there for some time yet. My friend tried to beg and plead, but supervisor sent me back and claimed she'd call the manager at home and see if he'd override the other supervisor. SHE NEVER DID. And I was stuck over there for another whole fucking weekend because she didn't feel like it. And because of her lie, we lost out on work getting done because of lack of experienced workers.

The most recent lie was that due to our lack of work, we've been encourage to call in to see if we're really needed to do our overtime, but our manager really pushes for body count, despite how little work there may be.......(and don't even get me started on calling in....I am NOT paid on call pay), so recently, we've been told on the phone that work has built up or there's been a bubble of work coming in and we're all needed to show up for overtime.

We get there, and there's no work, and the new rule is that NO ONE is to be sent home due to lack of work, because we have to be ready for when work comes.

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
    and no, don't even ask me how helping the front end gets work out the back end faster
    Mild tangent: I work in shipping (working on getting out of that into front-office work now, but still officially the Shipping Manager).

Our workflow goes like this:

1.) Sales
    2.) Production Control
    3.) Stock
    4.) Inspection/Packing
    5.) Production Control
    6.) Shipping

At any of these steps, a problem in the order (out of stock, wrong manufacturer, bad shipping address, etc) can send it back to step 1. Slowdowns in ANY step result in a stuffed production chain; multiple slowdowns or send-backs in a single day (which happens regularly) can result in half or more of a day's orders arriving in shipping during the last work hour of the day (as in, less than an hour before UPS/FedEx arrive).

Helping the front end (Sales/PC) gets things out the back end (Shipping) more smoothly over the course of the day. (Especially since both of the main Sales people have certain issues that can make them less productive on a given day...)

Comment

Mine works a little differently, although essentially bottlenecks do effect the whole flow of things. This was a really bad time to drain resources by sending them elsewhere, because we were pretty much losing our own left and right.

Comment

I wonder if she lied because she knew the manager wouldn't override the other supervisor, and she already had what she wanted?

Comment

Originally posted by blas87 View Post
          The most recent lie was that due to our lack of work, we've been encourage to call in to see if we're really needed to do our overtime, but our manager really pushes for body count, despite how little work there may be.......(and don't even get me started on calling in....I am NOT paid on call pay), so recently, we've been told on the phone that work has built up or there's been a bubble of work coming in and we're all needed to show up for overtime.

We get there, and there's no work, and the new rule is that NO ONE is to be sent home due to lack of work, because we have to be ready for when work comes.
          You report for work, there's nothing to do, but they keep you there in case work comes? They'd damn well be paying you, since you're on-duty (i.e. are not free to do activities of your own choice).

Comment

I'm not sure about up there, but over here in Cali, if you show up to work as scheduled (or requested) you get paid for showing up (4 hours for full time, if I recall correctly) even if you're immediately sent home.

I can't imagine it's terribly different there, so they likely keep you on, because once you're there they're already paying, so they might as well get work for their money.
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yup, that's how it is, the 4 hours thing. That first supervisor I spoke of....she's tried threatening people that they won't get paid the 4 hours, but I think she doesn't realize that a) she doesn't pay us, corporate does, and b) we aren't as dumb as she thinks we are. Sorry to use a cliche CS line, but we know our rights.

Comment

Working...
              X